Can You Root a Tablet Using Linux Inside of Windows?

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I have a Iconia A1-810 Tablet running Jelly Bean 4.2.2.

I have the Acer ToolKit and usb Drivers for my windows computer.
I know rooting this tablet is best done inside of a Linux Cmd Shell, But my question is this.

I am running Windows 8 Pro x64.
Can I run a 32bit version of Linux inside of my Windows install.
Using the Linux Cmd Shell successfully with relative safety root my tablet?

Without causing it to Brick, and going into the dreaded Boot Loop Crash?
I Bricked it trying it inside of Windows and I had to send it back into Acer to be re-imaged.
And I don't want to try it again if I'm not at least relativity sure it will work.

Thanks for any advice that you can offer in this. Ricky :D

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have a Iconia A1-810 Tablet running Jelly Bean 4.2.2.

I have the Acer ToolKit and usb Drivers for my windows computer.
I know rooting this tablet is best done inside of a Linux Cmd Shell, But my question is this.

I am running Windows 8 Pro x64.
Can I run a 32bit version of Linux inside of my Windows install.
Using the Linux Cmd Shell successfully with relative safety root my tablet?

Without causing it to Brick, and going into the dreaded Boot Loop Crash?
I Bricked it trying it inside of Windows and I had to send it back into Acer to be re-imaged.
And I don't want to try it again if I'm not at least relativity sure it will work.

Thanks for any advice that you can offer in this. Ricky :D

My guess you would get the same results, I doubt from which OS the commands are sent, the commands themselves or the person typing them are causing the tablet to brick not the computer OS.

Sent from my Coby 7036 Android Tablet

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
My guess you would get the same results, I doubt from which OS the commands are sent, the commands themselves or the person typing them are causing the tablet to brick not the computer OS.

Sent from my Coby 7036 Android Tablet

It wasn't ran from a Windows Command prompt.
But instead a exe that ran itself, with very little input from me, Other then to tell it what I wanted to do from 5 different choices.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
The linux would be via cmd line correct? I doubt linux would run a exe any better than windows.

Yes you are correct in Linux it would be Via Cmd Line.
An exe is only run through Windows, and the Cmd prompt in Windows is opened when you click on the exe, As I said it runs automatically with giving you 5 different choices that you can run by simple selection ie: 1. root from scratch 2. copy system ROM etc.
In which you hit Enter of coarse after making your selection.

Here is a link that another member of these forums that I started has successfully rooted his Iconia A1-810 and told me how to do it.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-a1/63281-rooting-iconia-a1-810-a.html

I don't have a separate Linux PC, This is why I was wondering if it could be done while running Linux inside of my Windows Install?
Hope this clears up the confusion a bit. Thanks again: Ricky

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Yes you are correct in Linux it would be Via Cmd Line.
An exe is only run through Windows, and the Cmd prompt in Windows is opened when you click on the exe, As I said it runs automatically with giving you 5 different choices that you can run by simple selection ie: 1. root from scratch 2. copy system ROM etc.
In which you hit Enter of coarse after making your selection.

Here is a link that another member of these forums that I started has successfully rooted his Iconia A1-810 and told me how to do it.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-a1/63281-rooting-iconia-a1-810-a.html

I don't have a separate Linux PC, This is why I was wondering if it could be done while running Linux inside of my Windows Install?
Hope this clears up the confusion a bit. Thanks again: Ricky

Ok this makes since now, and the answer to your question is yes, you could run Linux from VM and do what lokester did, another option is to run Linux from livecd or liveusb. Linux doesn't need to be installed to work, it can simply run from your computers RAM.

Last edited:

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Thank You.
I figured that it would work that way but just wanted to make sure.
If I ever get it back from the repair DePot I might just try this, Shame a tablet had to be sent back after only 3 weeks of use!

In any event I'm most greateful. Ricky. :)