Linux Users, Coby 8042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

sirpercy

Dec 23, 2012
i tried to google some terms but it's complicated for me. anyway among those 3. can i use it to return my tablet to its original settings?

robdanmar

Mar 25, 2013
help me follow these steps
the tablet started well
then died suddenly
I turn now and the word coby and so constantly restarts
Windows does not recognize the usb
I can do to recover thanks (sorry google traslator)

callmebruce

Apr 12, 2013
Hello. I followed instructions, but when trying to boot off my sdcard, my tablet could not fiind the images. I moved them to my microsd card and was able to install 8042_boot.zip then 8042_update.zip. The tablet (an 8042) successfully booted, but the touchscreen was not working. I plugged my mouse in, turned debugging mode back on and booted from my backup successfully. I tried pulling out the microsd card and moving 8042_boot and 8042_update to the sdcard and installing again. Once again the tablet came up, but the touchscreen did not work (mouse did work). I'm rolled back to my backup and trying to figure out what went wrong. Has anyone else booted successfully, wireless worked, Google Apps was installed - but no touchscreen?

callmebruce

Apr 12, 2013
I searched the forum for touchscreen, then entered:
busybox dmesg | busybox grep ft5x

I got back:
=ft5x_ts_resume==
ft5x_ts_resume enable_irq
=ft5x_ts_suspend=
ft5x_ts_suspend disable_irq

So - I have an ft5x touchscreen. I thought ft5x drivers where built into the kernel? Are ft5x drivers in 8042_update.zip? Or did I mess up somewhere else? I got the update to boot and had wifi, google play and all sorts of interesting stuff, but had to use a usb-attached mouse as my touchscreen wasn't working.

Edited: in my stock version, my drivers are in /system/vendor/modules. I am using /system/vendor/modules/ft5x_ts.ko

When I get time to play with it, I think I'll try to upgrade again, then check /system/vendor/modules for my touchscreen driver. Would I want to back up all my drivers before upgrading, then replace them all post-upgrade? Or just the touchscreen driver?

Sorry for replying to myself so much - first time messing with a tablet, althoug been using Linux for a long time (Debian, Mandrake, Mandriva, OpenSuse, RHEL and now liking the simplicity that is Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio Edition)
Okay - did upgrade again. I see the driver in /system/vendor/modules. Not sure what this means:

root@android:/system/vendor/modules # busybox dmesg | busybox grep ft5x
busybox dmesg | busybox grep ft5x
[ 4.300000] ===========================ft5x_ts_init=========== ==========
[ 4.320000] ft5x_ts_init: err.
root@android:/system/vendor/modules #

This did the trick. Touchscreen is now working. Problem solved. Just writing it down in case I mess up again and search gets me back to this point.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...her-problems-after-installing-custom-rom.html

Last edited:

deathgod

Aug 26, 2013
Hi guys, need alot of help. My cousin's tab is stuck on the COBY screen and stays there. Window's is not recognizing it so I can't use any of the adb commands to root it, install custom recovery/rom. I tried using the system dumps in recovery to restore it that didn't work. Can anyone provide flashable zips I can use the recovery to get root, install a custom recovery and complete the rest of the steps in the first post? Thanks alot :)

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Hi guys, need alot of help. My cousin's tab is stuck on the COBY screen and stays there. Window's is not recognizing it so I can't use any of the adb commands to root it, install custom recovery/rom. I tried using the system dumps in recovery to restore it that didn't work. Can anyone provide flashable zips I can use the recovery to get root, install a custom recovery and complete the rest of the steps in the first post? Thanks alot :)

All the zips from this thread require the custom recovery installed thru ADB. I don't believe that Vampirefo has created the zips you requested for the 8042.

Have you tried system reset ?

deathgod

Aug 26, 2013
All the zips from this thread require the custom recovery installed thru ADB. I don't believe that Vampirefo has created the zips you requested for the 8042.

Have you tried system reset ?

Thanks for the reply :) Yes I've tried the system reset, and even did a factory reset a couple times. When I open recovery the first msg I'm greeted with is :

E:Error in /cache/recovery/last_log (Read-only file system)
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

When I do a factory reset this is what it says:

--Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.
E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
E:can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:failed to mount /cache (invalid argument)
E:can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

That then repeats as I choose reboot now.

I saw that vampirefo had flashable zips for some other models with the other CPU so I was hoping he would see this and could create a flashable zip.

What is the correct buttons to put the tab into ADB/fastboot mode? I stumbled upon what I assume was the fastboot mode (there's nothing on screen so I'm not sure it's really in ADB mode) I installed the Coby_Gen3_USB drivers (tried both the ADB interface and Composite ADB insterface) and windows recognizes a device connected but nothing shows up, and when I do adb devices, it just outputs "listing devices", then goes to the command prompt.

I don't know how my cousin got her tab like this (I don't believe it was rooted and was running stock)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the reply :) Yes I've tried the system reset, and even did a factory reset a couple times. When I open recovery the first msg I'm greeted with is :

E:Error in /cache/recovery/last_log (Read-only file system)
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

When I do a factory reset this is what it says:

--Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.
E:can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:failed to mount /cache (invalid argument)
E:can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

That then repeats as I choose reboot now.

I saw that vampirefo had flashable zips for some other models with the other CPU so I was hoping he would see this and could create a flashable zip.

What is the correct buttons to put the tab into ADB/fastboot mode? I stumbled upon what I assume was the fastboot mode (there's nothing on screen so I'm not sure it's really in ADB mode) I installed the Coby_Gen3_USB drivers (tried both the ADB interface and Composite ADB insterface) and windows recognizes a device connected but nothing shows up, and when I do adb devices, it just outputs "listing devices", then goes to the command prompt.

I don't know how my cousin got her tab like this (I don't believe it was rooted and was running stock)

Those errors means nothing could be flashed through recovery, someone has used wrong image or your internal memory has be come corrupt, best guess someone used livesuite with wrong image.

deathgod

Aug 26, 2013
Thanks for the reply :)

Does this mean the tablet's bricked? Or if I can get it into fastboot mode will I be able to format internal, then flash the zips in the first post?

Also, how exactly do you get it into fastboot mode? I tried holding vol +, then pressing and holding power until the first coby logo comes up, then releasing power while still holding vol +, but it just goes to the coby logo and stays there. I tried various different button combos, but I either just get into recovery or back to the coby logo :(

deathgod

Aug 26, 2013
Thanks for the helpful responses guys. I'll let her know that her tablet is no longer any good. I'll tell her to consider getting a Nexus 7, Kindle Fire or Nook HD as a replacement.