Linux Users, Coby 8042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

adarabseh

Aug 30, 2013
hey all,,
thanks for being the best site supporting coby tablets
i've got a problem
and i'm sure you know how to fix it,,,,:)
i have coby 8042-4
i rooted it
i installed CW on it
then i have download the rom in the first page in this thread
place it on my SD
boot into recovery,,, CW recovery
select the rom "8042_update.zip"
everything is okay
the rom have been installed

now this is the problem with me

when my coby restarted after the rom was installed

it freezes on "COBY" secreen and it won't continue

i tried to wip the data on CW

but still have the problem

anybody can help me please??????

thanks in advance for all of you
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
First that's NOT a ROM!

You should check your boot.img md5sum, if your boot.img md5sum doesn't match eda433b85d9729422a4be5889982d46d this update isn't for your tablet, you can still root and install recovery, but not update nor boot.img

Second restore your backup with CW recovery that's if you have made one before installing that update.zip. Or you can restore your dump!.

Third there is no sense typing big letters here.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
First that's NOT a ROM!

Well, thats what vampirefo calls it in the first post:

What I will be covering in this thread is how to root, install recovery, install a modified boot.img, install a custom rom. all without using "livesuite"

Anyhow, adarabseh, did you install the boot.img file (8042_boot.zip) ?

adarabseh

Aug 30, 2013
ooooops,,,
it seems that i miss 8042_boot.zip,,,,,
mmmmmmm
is there anyway to fix this???
please ????
say yes :)
i really need to fix this

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
You will need a micro-sd card and another computer to fix this. Download the file, 8042_boot.zip and copy it to the micro-sd. Place the micro-sd in the tablet. Boot the tablet into recovery, then install the file from the external sd. You should be good.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Open a terminal is linux lingo. Its the equvilent to windows command prompt. This thread is for advanced users. Check out the sticky posts if you are looking to root. There is an automated method posted there.

gmila84

May 17, 2012
Can someone point me to a post for windows users?

I've installed a custom firmware a long ago and my tablet isn't working very well, so I want to give him a "new life"...

I appreciate any help.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Let me guess. You used LiveSuite to install the firmware in question?

As mentioned in the post prior to yours, there is a Windows utility by yours truly in the stickies that should work for you. The only things to be aware of are that reading the stickies is a must before using the tool, making a backup of the existing firmware is mandatory, and that you understand that if you used LiveSuite to flash your tablet the first time, you may irrevocably brick the tablet when using my utility.

jesher69

Mar 6, 2016
Hello! i have a Coby mid1045, when trying to restore a dump file there was an error in system.tar . Now the tablet has black screen. any idea how to get it back? Excuse my poor English .