Cannot update or do a factory reset...

StephenC

Jan 17, 2011
I have tried to do a update now for the past sev days. It does the download/load/reboot. Still shows 2.01 and shows the an upgrade is still available. tried with and without the sd card inserted. I also tried to do a factory reset/restore but getting the message "No recovery image is found, try recover from SD" I called CS but they just took my name/number/email address and told someone wouild call me......Help!

LSWONE

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry to hear you are having this problem. It sounds like the working update to upgrade you to 2.02 was removed and in it's place they placed this non-working update that no one can get to work. To bad the update feature does not give you an option between the old update that did work, and the new one that no one has gotten to work. I have emailed them and gotten responses within 24 hours.

I hope they can fix this update for everyone.

stackdump

Mar 3, 2011
I am in the exact same boat. I've tried many different things. I even returned my tablet and got another one. I've sniffed out what the tablet "downloads" turing the non-working update to see if there is a way to manually get the update and nothing has worked. It's very frustrating. I saw a guide on another site about a similar tablet by the same manufacturer. In that case when it says to try restore from SD card they can put the system image a zip file named "update.zip" on a sd card and at the restore it will find that on the SD card and use it for restore. I tried that with the file that the "system update" was getting from the update server, but I still got the message "update from SD".

I am concerned by this. On the tab that I returned to the store I had tried the marketplace installation and was unable to clear it off as I had no way to fully restore. It makes me nervous to try anything on this tablet, because I can not do a full restore at this point. The marketplace install never worked because of a google ID problem, but I couldn't fully wipe and retry. Why would they release a device like this without a simple restore image or instructions on how to do it.

MGGopher

Mar 1, 2011
I am concerned by this. On the tab that I returned to the store I had tried the marketplace installation and was unable to clear it off as I had no way to fully restore.

Ditto this. My touchscreen completely stopped working yesterday for no reason at all, and I was hoping that a factory reset would help...unfortunately I don't see a way to do a factory reset. I've tried the little "reset" button the back, but that did nothing but restart the device. I've tried holding the power and menu buttons while pushing it as well, but nothing. Anyone have ideas, otherwise this thing is going back to CVS (with working market and all!).

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
Same problem sent back two of these. I have have been trying to get replacements for over a month. Nowsuppliers.com has been stroking me about out of stock, needs to be repaired, on our agenda soon, please give us more time,they lie!

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
You could download one of the first identified update files system.bin and put the 52mb file on a blank FAT32 formatted micoSD card and attempt to initiate a factory reset.

Disclaimer: You could brick your device. Also, not sure what combination of key/screen pressing would force to look at SD card.

If you try, let us know what combination worked and if it resulted in allowing you to do a factory reset from SD card a feat yet to be achieved!

stackdump

Mar 3, 2011
Disclaimer: You could brick your device. Also, not sure what combination of key/screen pressing would force to look at SD card.

If you try, let us know what combination worked and if it resulted in allowing you to do a factory reset from SD card a feat yet to be achieved!

I've tried by putting the system.bin in a file called "update.zip" (as suggested on another site when referring to same error on a different infotmic tablet). But it still told me to try recovering from SD. I haven't tried with just a system.bin (unzipped), but I don't know how to force it to look on the SD.

StephenC

Jan 17, 2011
Looks like the shutdown the the update. Never could update, still cannot do a factory restore. Have not heard back from CS either....

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
I've tried by putting the system.bin in a file called "update.zip" (as suggested on another site when referring to same error on a different infotmic tablet). But it still told me to try recovering from SD. I haven't tried with just a system.bin (unzipped), but I don't know how to force it to look on the SD.
what did you use to make the update.zip?

Android update zips need to be made in 7zip or something other than winzip or winrar. You have to zip them with 0 compression (in 7zip set the compression level to "store") or it won't be successful i have only been successful in creating flashable zips with 7zip. i learned this in making boot logo's and boot animations for my samsung intercept.

i would love to try and pull anything needed for you guys from my tablet but i'm stuck on the damn screen calibration screen with no way to get past it and get into the OS due to a cracked screen. Mine is on dg 2.02 and has the working "recovery" image on it. if anyone has any ideas on bypassing that calibration screen let me know and i'll give it a shot.

Last edited:

stackdump

Mar 3, 2011
what did you use to make the update.zip?

Android update zips need to be made in 7zip or something other than winzip or winrar. You have to zip them with 0 compression (in 7zip set the compression level to "store") or it won't be successful i have only been successful in creating flashable zips with 7zip. i learned this in making boot logo's and boot animations for my samsung intercept.

i would love to try and pull anything needed for you guys from my tablet but i'm stuck on the damn screen calibration screen with no way to get past it and get into the OS due to a cracked screen. Mine is on dg 2.02 and has the working "recovery" image on it. if anyone has any ideas on bypassing that calibration screen let me know and i'll give it a shot.

I used windows built in zip software, not even winzip. I didn't realize it was picky. I may try again with 7zip. I'll see if there's a way past the calibration screen and let you know if I get lucky.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Ok. I had the tab format the SD card. it formated it FAT 32 32byte sectors. It also placed an empty folder LOST.DIR on it.
then I made a zip file with 7zip. store only with the system.bin file that has been floating around this forum. but I still get a "try to recover from SD" message on my screen.

What system.bin file are you using? are you doing this on a SYNET7LP? or an SYTABEX7?

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Here's an idea that I'm NOT RESPONSIBLE for if you try and end up bricking your device.

put the DG2.02 update system.bin (the ~54MB file from 222.73.93.45) on your tab in /local

either through the adb shell or a terminal program on your tab run
Code:
infoup inject /local/system.bin
then
Code:
infoup reboot

this is the set of commands that the settings.apk program runs once an update is downloaded. Perhaps this will copy the DG2.02 files into your mtd2 partition, then when you give it the "three finger salute" it will actually have a recovery partition to use???

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Does modifying the u-boot get us any closer?

Code:
C:\adb shell
# cat proc/mtd

dev:    size   erasesize  name
 mtd0: 00200000 00080000 "ramdisk" = u-boot legacy uImage
 mtd1: 00600000 00080000 "kernel" = u-boot legacy uImage
 mtd2: 08000000 00080000 "resv"
 mtd3: 0c000000 00080000 "system"
 mtd4: 3d800000 00080000 "userdata"
 mtd5: 04000000 00080000 "cache"
 mtd6: 1ff00000 00080000 "Local-disk"
 mtd7: 00100000 00080000 "panic"
Code:
$ file ramdisk.img
ramdisk.img: u-boot legacy uImage, hRamdisk, Linux/ARM, RAMDisk Image (Not compressed), 169892 bytes, Tue Nov 16 00:01:29 2010, Load Address: 0x41000000, EntryPoint: 0x41000000, Header CRC: 0xB98DB9FA, Data CRC: 0xEC8755A9

$ file kernel.img
kernel.img: u-boot legacy uImage, Linux-2.6.32.9, Linux/ARM, OS Kernel Image (Not compressed), 2450368 bytes, Thu Nov 18 08:22:14 2010, Load Address: 0x40008000, Entry Point: 0x40008000, Header CRC: 0x7962A1D6, Data CRC: 0xCA26E644
Still lost with the files/images we think are recovery. As they elude us as "data" files.

Code:
$ file recovery.img
recovery.img: data

$ file system.bin
system.bin: data

$ file resv.img
resv.img: data
However, I'm beginning to think the "update" file consists of a file that has a fixed size. The archives within are concatenated together with some padding and some headers. Reviewing one of the "update" files I found these two references.

logo_enUS.bin
batt.enUS.bin

Maybe nothing, but I have noticed I'm no longer getting the random "15% battery" left pop up when the charger is plugged in. Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Hmm, the nook uses u-boot, perhaps there's some way to use knowledge from nook development for us to get into the bootloader...sounds like I have some reading to do this weekend.