Can't start up Archos 101 ...

CDhacker

Jan 7, 2011
Hi,

I was playing a game on my Archos 101 and It froze...
I've resetted my device (pushing 10 sec on power button).
But the problem is: My device won't start up anymore :mad:

Does anyone has a solution?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
does it do anything at all when you press and hold the power button?

CDhacker

Jan 7, 2011
When I plug it in (to charge my Archos), the power light lights up.

When I press the power button (not plugged in), the power light lights up but nothing is shown on the screen.
It's a very weird problem.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
This Happened to me with my original A_101... had to send it back.. archos said they could fix/replace it would be 10-15 days though and i didn't have that much time left on my return policy at Global.. so I Just returned it to Global..

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Have you tried to enter the recovery mode... just read about it in the manual (when all else fails hugh..lol)

you have to power the device on and hold the (+) volume button to get into it...

it has several options to manage the device's file structure, an option to attempt to fix the system structure, and an options to hook to a pc to reload the firmware again...

you may wana see if you can get to this screen first.. might be able to fix it from there before you return it....

"
System recovery

If your ARCHOS does not respond correctly or does not start properly, you can try to remedy this situation with a system recovery. Be very careful with this as there are options to erase all the data on your device.

To enter into the Recovery screen

- Turn off the device and wait 10 seconds.
- Press and hold the volume + button while powering on the device.
- Keep the volume + pressed until the Recovery mode starts (white screen).
- To move from one option to another, use the volume buttons. To select an option, press the ON/OFF button.

Recovery mode options

No: Cancels the system recovery.
Update firmware: Allows you to connect your device to a computer in order to copy the latest .AOS file (operating system) to your device and then install it.
Repair System
: Attempts to repair the file structure on the internal memory. This does not erase any data.
No: Return to main recovery screen.
Force Touchscreen Calibration:
Select this and then select no to leave the recovery screen. Upon restarting, the ARCHOS will immediately start the touch-screen calibration utility.
Check Disk: Check and repair the system partition if damaged.
Start USB MSC: Allows you to connect your device to a PC to access the internal memory.
Format System: Formats the internal memory. All data (music, photos, videos, etc.), applications and settings are erased. "

copied from the Archos online manual for gen-8 A-101... http://www.archos.com/manuals/A101_EN_v1.1.htm

Last edited:

kyrliot

Sep 8, 2012
Hello everyone,i have exactly the same problem after the tablet stucked up in a shutdown.The power light works as normal but the screen does not turn on and i cant get to recovery menu.Is their a solution ? I will open it up eventually but i dont know if their is a way to jtag it ,to revive it.I dont think is a hardware failure,it looks like "lost" the starting up "bios" - at least to me that is...Thanks for your help....

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I assume this is the Gen8 101 and not the 101-G9. Can you mount the unit with your PC as a hard drive. If not, your device has died. If you can mount it, there is hope and it could be a defective battery. The only way to really know if your open it. The repair by sending it to Archos may exceed its value.

Glen460

Feb 7, 2014
Hold the power off button on ur archos for about 15 secs, plug in ur charger...ur archos will blink which means it is being charged...i know this cos i had the same problem as you and just did this and it is now charging, keep it on charge for at least a good 8 hours, it should be good by then!..