Capacitive Touch Screens?

Sako7STW

Nov 30, 2010
Are the capacitive screens the ones that work by sensing the heat from your fingers?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
its the ones that are on most phones todays and you have to use your finger, it wont register a finger nail

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Here are two links that answer your question in two different ways. Bottom line though, neither resistive or capacitive are doing based on the heat in your finger. Capacitive does it based on the electrical conductivity of your skin (so you can't wear gloves, use a stylus or fingernail), and the other by a circuit that is created by the pressure you exert (hence you CAN use gloves, stylus, etc).

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...sions/2797-questions-about-touch-screens.html

Touchscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sako7STW

Nov 30, 2010
OK, that's what i thought. The reason i asked is because my wife doesn't like my phones capacitive touch screen. She has nails and they just dont work LOL. So maybe holding out for a capacitive touch screen for her might not be the best thing??

Richardo Crispus

Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
I'd suggest a decent Resistive screen in that case, though I would really recommend investing in a decent screen protector. Some nails can manage to damage the naked screen

Good luck,
Richardo Crispus

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
Similar issue here except she gets thrown off by the appearance of her fingernail. She uses her finger but it doesn't touch where she aims. Then she tries to push hard like it's a resistive screen. Iphone was a disaster for her. The sensitivity adjustment on the Blackberry Torch eased her pain, but capacitive screens are just plain difficult for her and painful for me to watch ;)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have the S7 and it has the best resistive screen I have ever used.

You can check it out at Best Buy.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
I have the S7 and it has the best resistive screen I have ever used.

You can check it out at Best Buy.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

I had this unit for a week or so to test. It is a very good screen, but I actually found the screen on the Coby 7015 to be even better.