Coby Kyros Internet Tablets MID7005-4G | MID7015-4G (new)

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
Instruction video has been posted. It is fairly simple.

Download update.
Copy to mSD card root directory without unzipping.
Turn Kyros off.
Hold down BACK button and press and hold POWER button until the android screen w/triangle appears.
Release both and the press BACK button once to go into a recovery like menu.
Select wipe/factory reset first. (use MENU and HOME keys to scroll up/down and BACK key to select)
After reset is done, move to apply SDcard and press BACK to select.
Update will now start.
After it finishes updating, it recomends to recalibrate your screen.

I am in the process of updating mine, but there is no info either on the website or in the file of what this fixes.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If I recall correctly, the tablets seizing up is actually due to the CPU overheating, not a memory issue. This applied for the HSG X5A.

I recommend rooting the tablet and seeing if SetCPU has a lower CPU value. 720MHz is a bit on the high end for a typical ARM11 chip.

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
Well, no 2.2 update :) Firmware still at 2.1 update 1 same as before.
Kernel is now at 2.6.29
Build number is now 20101124-3
Now installing all my software and see if I notice any changes.
First thing I see is screen is not locked when you return from stand by.
Nice to know they are at least supporting it.

Daali

Oct 19, 2010
wow, all the files in the "new" update are dated 02-29-2008 except the testkey, and a cmu6 dictionary lol. I hope they date-modified the package, and they really are new compiles

Daali

Oct 19, 2010
Ok here is the build.prop of the update, looks like it was updated Nov 25th 2010
a# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=ECLAIR
ro.build.display.id=MID7015-eng 2.1-update1 ECLAIR eng.enzo.20101125.200217 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.enzo.20101125.200217
ro.build.version.sdk=7
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.1-update1
ro.build.date=Thu Nov 25 20:05:40 CST 2010
ro.build.date.utc=1290686740
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=enzo
ro.build.host=build-165
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=MID7015
ro.product.brand=telechips
ro.product.name=MID7015
ro.product.device=tcc8900
ro.product.board=tcc8900_evm
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v6
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=telechips
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tcc92xx
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=tcc8900
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=MID7015-eng 2.1-update1 ECLAIR eng.enzo.20101125.200217 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=telechips/MID7015/tcc8900/tcc8900_evm:2.1-update1/ECLAIR/eng.enzo.20101125.200217:eng/test-keys
persist.sys.timezone=America/New_York
# end build properties
#
# system.prop for TCC89xx
#

# The OpenGL ES API level that is natively supported by this device.
# This is a 16.16 fixed point number
ro.opengles.version = 131072

# This is a high density device with more memory, so larger vm heaps for it.
dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m

# density in DPI of the LCD of this board. This is used to scale the UI
# appropriately. If this property is not defined, the default value is 160 dpi.
ro.sf.lcd_density =240

# SSG, to enable WMA, WMV and ASF file recognizing routine
ro.media.dec.aud.wma.enabled = 1
ro.media.dec.vid.wmv.enabled = 1

# SSG, to enable RA, RM and RMVB file recognizing routine
ro.media.dec.aud.ra.enabled = 1
ro.media.dec.vid.rv.enabled = 1

# SSG, if changing audio play rate is supported, set this property to 1
ro.media.aud.rate.changeable = 0

rild.libpath=/system/lib/libreference-ril.so
rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyUSB2

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.media.dec.vid.max_width=1920
ro.media.dec.vid.max_height=1088
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
net.bt.name=Android
ro.config.sync=yes
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
Will I keep it? Not sure yet...

Yeah, I took it back. It was having the same issues everyone else is describing. After just charging overnight I had to reset it to get it to come back up. VERY weak WiFi reception and it often FC'd on a lot of things, especially while downloading apps. I'm still blown away at the sensitivity of the screen, though.

Are there other generics out there that are recommended with that nice of a resistive screen?

ULTRAMAN1

Dec 2, 2010

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
I have three of these on hold for our kids at Shopko for christmas presents. Price is $149.99. Pretty good. If these suck, I'll be taking them back. If there are problems outta the box I'll be rooting, setcpuing, etc. Prolly will anyway just to see what improvements I can garner. Will likely install ADW or ZEAM launchers. Cachemate. Anything else I can think of with root that may improve the unit. My kids drool over playing w my droid X. I hope this can somewhat come close to allowing them to play with THEIR tabs and not my phone.

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
Yeah, I took it back. It was having the same issues everyone else is describing. After just charging overnight I had to reset it to get it to come back up. VERY weak WiFi reception and it often FC'd on a lot of things, especially while downloading apps. I'm still blown away at the sensitivity of the screen, though.

Are there other generics out there that are recommended with that nice of a resistive screen?

Sorry to hear that. Had the same issue but it went away after firmware upgrade. I still might return mine because I have the Huawei S7 and don't need 2 tablets, but I find that I actually do not use some of the premium extras on the S7. I have a Droid phone and a dedicated GPS, so I really do not need 3G, GPS or phone capability in my tablet. But bluetooth I do love for music and movies and youtube and app compatibility has been 100% so far on my S7 vs. around 90% on the Kyros. And then there is the matter of price, the S7 at $300 when the Kyros was exactly half that. Do I spend extra for better compatibility and a few extras I probably won't use? Or save some money and lose some of the apps that I currently use? I stil have some time on my return period on both, so still weighting in pros and cons on my decision.

wksr

Dec 11, 2010
I need help. I have no clue about this coby mid7005 (i think) tablet, the instructions given are not for first time users that are clueless. I want to buy books for it, but I don't know how to? Can someone help me. Can I purchase books for it through barnes and noble?

digitaldope

Dec 18, 2010
Hi all, new here. I'm trying to decide between the Coby Kyros MID 7005 & the 7015. The differences I have found from research on line is that the 7005 has glass screen cover, 32gb flash card memory capacity (7015 = 16gb), has ARM1176 processor (7015 = Telechips TTTC8902), has real navigation buttons on the right side, and is slightly larger and heavier than the 7015. On paper it seems like a more robust machine than the 7015.

1. Which one would be the best for mostly surfing, email, Youtube, notetaking and basic untily apps?
2. I realize that either model has its operational and user interface idiosyncrasies, can any (tipstir) list them here.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Hi all, new here. I'm trying to decide between the Coby Kyros MID 7005 & the 7015. The differences I have found from research on line is that the 7005 has glass screen cover, 32gb flash card memory capacity (7015 = 16gb), has ARM1176 processor (7015 = Telechips TTTC8902), has real navigation buttons on the right side, and is slightly larger and heavier than the 7015. On paper it seems like a more robust machine than the 7015.

1. Which one would be the best for mostly surfing, email, Youtube, notetaking and basic untily apps?
2. I realize that either model has its operational and user interface idiosyncrasies, can any (tipstir) list them here.

Both can do what you want the 7005 has limit on the battery charges to 300x after that the battery would need to be replaced by Coby at a cost. The 7015 only has 1 USB port doesn't have home/menu/back hardware buttons on the front like the 7005 does. Still you get what you pay for both have the same CPU 720MHz some say it's lower than that to 660MHz. I clocked in at 810 on CM3 Benchmark still got something to go by.