Considering the NOOK Color!? :D

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
Well I am still considering which tablet to spend my money on and I was thinking of the Coby Kyros MIS7015, but I'm reconsidering my buy now that I've discovered that the NC can run Honeycomb and at a price of only about $60 more than the Kyros. I just have a few quick questions about a NC running Android Honeycomb. :)

1. Do you have full access to the Android Market? I want to be able to download the exact same apps as I can on my DROID X... >.>

2. How easy or difficult is it to root the NC and add Honeycomb? I've been looking for methods to do it with not much luck, so maybe you can add a noob-friendly method of adding Honeycomb to the NC... :)

3. If possible, leave a little feedback of the NC running Honeycomb, if you're using it. Please include both the positives and negatives. xD

Thank you ahead of time for your answers and advice. I'm really stumped when it comes to which tablet I want. >.<

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
I'm thinking of rooting my Nook Color through this method when I first get it: Feedback on this method if possible? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
1 market is not perfect missing some apps. But I have used root explorer to pull missing apks. From my droidx and installed them on the book. This is still early everything non bn is still beta. That being said I am running froyo and will run cyanogen when it gets into beta.

2 rooting the book is easy there are lots of how to's. No app options yet but its easy. Honeycomb is not a full Rom yet.. not a package I have used it and its great but if you don't want to deal with broken functions its not a daily driver.

3 Honeycomb is very different from your droid x. I did not try to root it or get the market working but it seems like a true advance of android. Deeperblue has done an amazing job since the rom isn't even out yet. Its basically a reverse engineered test package.

I think the nook is great and I am sure a full functioning HC rom will be available.. I reccomend it if you like to tinker.. flash rims etc.. I missed the crazy development pace when I changed from my droid to my x.. now that void has been filled by the nook.
READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU CHOOSE. That's what I did and I am happy with my choice.

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
i put HC on my nook a couple days ago.. it was pretty awesome, but that being said.. you can play with it for a little and then youll have to go back to a stable ROM if you actually want to get things done.

there are workarounds for Gapps, superuser, etc.. but even after doing so .. the root didnt stick for me and a lot of the tablet became unusable b/c i didnt have the access to root apps.

get your NC, enjoy 2.1, or 2.2 for a while and im sure someone will create a stable HC ROM when it comes out! Its a great little (hacked) tablet/e-reader. (who reads anymore though, come on! ;-) )

KSR

Dec 30, 2010
The video I posted is a method of rooting the NC with normal Android (I'm not sure if it's 2.1 or 2.2, but I'm fine with it either way...) and the video makes it seem pretty simple. I only want an Android tablet that will work just as good as my phone, and I was looking for a capacitive touchscreen... This one might be my choice, but I'm still looking at possibilities and trying to stay below the $300 mark as this is my first tablet, afterall. :)

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
It is a good choice.. I think its a bargain. It is not a perfected system yet. It will be getting better almost daily but in couple months I think it will be great.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I moved this thread out of the technical sub-forum to keep it cleaned up.

Well I am still considering which tablet to spend my money on and I was thinking of the Coby Kyros MIS7015, but I'm reconsidering my buy now that I've discovered that the NC can run Honeycomb and at a price of only about $60 more than the Kyros. I just have a few quick questions about a NC running Android Honeycomb. :)

1. Do you have full access to the Android Market? I want to be able to download the exact same apps as I can on my DROID X... >.>
As full access as you can get for an Android 2.1 device...and with FROYO ROM's right around the corner, more apps will come available in the market.

2. How easy or difficult is it to root the NC and add Honeycomb? I've been looking for methods to do it with not much luck, so maybe you can add a noob-friendly method of adding Honeycomb to the NC... :)
Honeycomb is by no means a daily driver at this point...fun to play around with, but certainly not ready for primetime. I would strongly recommend against installing it internally.

3. If possible, leave a little feedback of the NC running Honeycomb, if you're using it. Please include both the positives and negatives. xD
See my answer above. The only version of HC that we have right now was pieced together from the preview emulator. Like I said, its cool to see what the future holds in store for the NookColor, but we aren't there yet.

Thank you ahead of time for your answers and advice. I'm really stumped when it comes to which tablet I want. >.<

Looking over the specs of the Kyros 7015, I would STRONGLY suggest the extra cash (if you have it) for the NookColor.

Kyros has a resistive touch screen compared to the capacitive touch on the NC
Screen resolution: 800x480 for the Kyros, 1024x600 for the NC
Memory: Built-in 4GB/Expandable up to 16GB for the Kyros; 8GB internal/expandable to 32GB for the NC

appslib on the Kyros...actual android market on the NC

Oh, the biggest one...not this forum and its awesome members for the Kyros...all of this greatness with the NC! :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
(who reads anymore though, come on! ;-) )

LOL...I actually use my NC to read every single day, but then again, I actually bought my NC to read.

Reading Crucible:The Trial of Cyric the Mad
AND
Brad Meltzer's The Book of Fate

On topic:

When I was reading up on the Kyros, one of the selling points is that it has Aldiko Reader installed...(last time I checked, that is still a free app on my rooted NC)

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
LOL...I actually use my NC to read every single day, but then again, I actually bought my NC to read.

On topic:

When I was reading up on the Kyros, one of the selling points is that it has Aldiko Reader installed...(last time I checked, that is still a free app on my rooted NC)

haha i have some books on mine, but they are more of a front then something i actually use... and i use aldiko (it is free) when i want to look at them and pretend like im reading.

the NC is awesome.. very user friendly and fun to mess around with without having to be scared to brick it (thanks to CWR bootables). great for angry brids and fruit ninja too ;-) youll get more of an accomplished feeling rooting it to make it a viable tablet then just buying one ready to use (whats the fun in that)!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Besides, we have a couple members that either bought pre-rooted or purchased rooting sd cards, and they were having problems (like the NC being registered to someone else's email address, assigned to a different B&N account, etc.) So they ended up having to go through the rooting process anyway.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Rooting is very simple, but they are afraid with the word "Root". They think why all headache instead get a ready made SD Card. [Spoon Feeding]

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
instead of using the video, id suggest reading up on and following the instructions listed here:
NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

Why? I used that video when I rooted my NC And it went perfectly. Matter of fact, that video is what finally made me think I could actually pull off rooting the thing.

It really is as easy as that video makes it look.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Why? I used that video when I rooted my NC And it went perfectly. Matter of fact, that video is what finally made me think I could actually pull off rooting the thing.

It really is as easy as that video makes it look.

Most people do better with detail instructions than video versions, but whatever works for you and as long as the instructions are correct, either is good. There are a bunch of videos where you will read the comments and either the author or viewers will comment of a revision or change that could have been made. So often the videos are not re-shot, where written instructions are easily modified. Again, nothing wrong as instruction is correct. :)