Consistent Internet Connectivity?

3vaboys

Dec 9, 2012
Hello, I am new to the tablet world, with some basic PC and Apple product knowledge. I'd like to buy a tablet for my 11 year old son for X-Mas. He would use it for typical kid stuff (browsing, music, movies, reading, game apps, reading, etc....). He currently has an older iPod which only allows him web access when connected to our home wireless network. Do tablets allow for consistent web access or do you have to be connected through a wifi connection? I don't want to have to purchase a data plan for him but is this the only option? I've heard plenty of horror stories about the Kindle Fire, but they offer continuous web connectivity, right? I've heard lots of good things about the Google Nexus tablets but I would need to have a data plan to go with this, right? Any insight would be very appreciated!!!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm not aware of any tablets that don't have WiFi. You don't need any data plan to use a WiFi only tablet. Hope that answered your question.

3vaboys

Dec 9, 2012
Thank you, but the wifi connection on any tablet is only going to work when I can find a wifi network, right? I'm looking for a tablet that will have 3G or 4G access all the time. Any insight?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thank you, but the wifi connection on any tablet is only going to work when I can find a wifi network, right? I'm looking for a tablet that will have 3G or 4G access all the time. Any insight?

Evidently I miss understood. You would need a contract that would cost you. Either go to your cell providers site to see what's available or get a nano router capable of using a SIM card, or get a MyFi device. If you don't want to be dependent on WiFi your options are limited.

wandaboyce

Nov 29, 2012
Hello, I am new to the tablet world, with some basic PC and Apple product knowledge. I'd like to buy a tablet for my 11 year old son for X-Mas. He would use it for typical kid stuff (browsing, music, movies, reading, game apps, reading, etc....). He currently has an older iPod which only allows him web access when connected to our home wireless network. Do tablets allow for consistent web access or do you have to be connected through a wifi connection? I don't want to have to purchase a data plan for him but is this the only option? I've heard plenty of horror stories about the Kindle Fire, but they offer continuous web connectivity, right? I've heard lots of good things about the Google Nexus tablets but I would need to have a data plan to go with this, right? Any insight would be very appreciated!!!
I would only go with the wifi, I can log on anwhere I go that has wifi. In my car I use my cell for a horspot and use the 4g for free.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
While tethering to a phone is certainly an option, it isn't exactly free.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
"I've heard lots of good things about the Google Nexus tablets but I would need to have a data plan to go with this, right? Any insight would be very appreciated!!!"

Its your money. Most tabs are wifi only, the ones with 3g cost more initially, plus the monthly. You can check yourself, but t-mobile has a $20/mo plan without a contract. But thats 2gig/mo to give you an idea. The nexus tabs are wonderful tabs-without 3g for about twice what mine cost. without 3g. But if it was my 11 yr old kid...

Just kidding-

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you do some searching at Walmart you will find that they sell a pay as you go MiFi device. You purchase what you need and it doesn't expire at the end of the month and no contract.

Dec 4, 2012
For the record, the only Kindle device that gets free 3G is their old B&W ereader. The Fire and Fire HD do not. They don't even have 3G versions! They have a 4G version of the FireHD 8.9", but it requires a subscription to AT&T.