CrackBerry user with an Android tablet :)

SurrealCivic

Dec 25, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am a huge BlackBerry addict (CrackBerry), I live in Waterloo, Ontario. Since the PlayBook is now delayed until May, I have decided to get myself an Android tablet in the time being. Maybe the Android OS will win me over. :) I am an old Linux user as well, therefore I will have a lot of fun with this.

I purchased a 7" generic tablet, that is currently running Android 1.7 (kernel 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty). It has no 3G, has a microSD slot, and came with a dongle that has an Ethernet jack and two USB ports (with an Apple ipod style connector, 26pin I believe it is). 256MB of RAM, and 2GB of onboard memory. The instruction manual says MID on it.

The unit functions great, but Android 1.7 is a little buggy and no Android market.

I have three questions:

1. How do I find out the CPU or better yet the model of this tablet?
2. How do I boot from the microSD card? I copied a ROM onto a microSD card using my BlackBerry but the tablet will not boot.
3. Can I tether my BlackBerry to the tablet?

Thank you all

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Cheers and welcome!

First off, you need to make sure that you have a tablet that can be upgraded, unfortunately not all of them can. That being said, the process to upgrade once you fully identify which tablet you have will be pretty straightforward.....or pretty complex. It really comes down to the tablet and manufacturer.

To answer your questions:

1. Easiest way, take some pics and post them here. People may be able to identify it that way. Be sure to do the back, and any identifying characteristics. Also, see if you can sideload an app called Android System Info to it (copy to your MicroSD and install from there). That will help a ton.
2. Reformat your MicroSD using your PC. Android system is pretty finicky on this, and we see a lot of issues, even if formatted by the device. Format it FAT32 using a PC.
3. What do you mean by thether? Do you mean use your Crackberry as a WiFi tether? If that is supported on your phone, and your tablet has wifi, there are several different threads on how to do this, but it may not be possible on 1.7.

Hope these help for a start.

-p

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I use to be a avid blackberry user and would visit crackberry every single day but then i saw the decline of blackberry and the improvements that android was making so i decided to give android a try and i haven't looked back. Now just remember your device is running the bottom of the barrel os right now actually android never released 1.7 so its probably a custom 1.6 os. Now im not telling you this so that you think you got a bad deal i am just telling you this so that you dont try and compare your device to a blackberry running 5.+ or 6.0 because obviously it will be better but sense 1.6 android has released 4 os upgrades and those arent custom ones those are official os updates. But enjoy your tablet