Deleting preinstalled apps and bloatware.

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
A great list of what each Android app and .apk file does can be found here.

The files I have successfully removed from my Kyros device are as follows:

Thanks again, I've pretty much trimmed everything out I didn't want or need, battery use is down and it's running well.

In another other topic, I'd mentioned the keyboard stopped working... Better Keyboard wouldn't work either as I had deleted the "service" and the app.

The Google Experience file unzips as well, giving access to all the apps, some of them require special services but some would probanbly run on a stock 7015.
Anyway, this is fun, reminds me of when i started on a C-64 decades ago.

best-

Clancy

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Hi Clancy,
My first computer was a Commodore-64 with an external cassette tape deck for data storage. I had a plug-in cartridge for assembly language and wrote a simple mail merge to send out some resumes printed on a dot matrix printer.
The 64 was that the whole computer had 64 Kilo Bytes of memory, as in 0.000064 GB. Now this toy has 4GB.
Like the C-64 the Coby can output to a TV :)
What a change in about 30 years!
Sorry to go off on a tangent in this thread but it's fun to see a wide range of ages participating together.

Last edited:

willber

Jan 9, 2011
I started by flipping switches on an Altair..... at least I think that was the name. Load the address, load data, watch the LEDS flash... whoopee...
Anyone remember punch cards... ha ha ha. How times have changed.
OK... back to this important topic.
I've had no problems so far deleting files using Terminal. As long as you have a ClockWorkMod back but and know how to boot to it for recovery... do what you want.

Trauma

Dec 12, 2010
Ok thank you. Now next question. When i download from the google market, does anyone know where the market puts the downloaded apk files? i have searched, but cannot find anything

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010
You guys are bring back memories talking about the C-64... I had one in my room from age 12 to 18. I learned how to write BASIC code on one by hacking Telengard game, which was written in BASIC.

Funny how the time flies. Those were the good old days. I miss my C64. I downloaded a C64 emulator from the Android Market to play Kennedy Approach though. Still a fun game and very addicting.

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010
@BKenny - My Coby also wakes up every few minutes while in sleep. It is driving me crazy. I ran "top" command on the command line in terminal emulator and let it run for 5 minutes. Then cut all the output and emailed it to myself. Going to analysis the output looking for the process that is running every few minutes. I hope I can find it. Might need to run it longer, not sure how big the buffer in terminal emulator is. I have used top in Linux and it helps trouble shoot run away apps.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
What I have noticed regarding the Wake from sleep issue is related to the rooted Market. I believe the extra apps added in by Google assume you are on a phone. Some of these end up in the Running services. Killing those will reduce the wake up.
However if you need to Boot from a power off state, some of these show up again in the Running services to cause this problem. I noticed this the other day when the tablet battery drained causing a power reboot.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I'm using an app called Startup Cleaner 2. It manages the apps that fire up on boot. I see Google Maps, The WeatherChannel are there. Also AK Notepad which seeing that I'm going to delete it and use something else. Also PowerTutor is there.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I'm going to remove Google Talk and the related services. I installed Meebo which is a free IM alternative (there's actually quite a few out there). The Google Talk service always starts automatically on its own and I'm tired of stopping it (LOL lazy, I know). I'll edit my successfully removed apps and services post accordingly.

EDIT: All Google Talk Services removed successfully with no bad side effects. The related post has been edited accordingly.

Sent from my Kyros using Android Tablet Forum App

Last edited:

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Maybe if we can get a mod to look at this, I'll reorganize a new thread with all relevant information in the first post for noobs, and we can delete this one?

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Removed the Stock Email application, I use my own (from the marketplace). Have had absolutely no problems so far! I've updated the related post accordingly. :) This is going well I think!