Deleting preinstalled apps and bloatware.

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010
@Efferri Yeah, it was weird. I did remove with about 5 other apps also. Maybe one of those, with the removal of the VoiceSearchWithKeyboard wacked the virtual keyboard. Either way, everything is good now. My tablet is booting faster and seems to be running good.

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
The 2.3 rom won't work because the new devices will be using the samsung hummingbird SoC..

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010
@l_n .... Do you know of anyone/group that is working on getting a 2.3 ROM out for the MID7015?

Do you know how much memory is new in the new tablets from Coby?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
I'm currently working on a possible kernel upgrade.. Cyanogen has a release out for the tcc8902, but it's still alpha and some things are broken.. So, yes, there is work being done, but it's slow-going..

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Efferri presents a good example of why mv is better than rm.
If you had used
mv talk.apk talk.bak
then recovery might just be
mv talk.bak talk.apk
You could test in small steps and reset much easier than reinstalling the entire Google Experience apk.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Moving is a good idea for those few who are not as adept with this tablet. But deleting the file completely does no harm. If you delete a file and find you need it back, you can get the .apk back onto your device WITHOUT resetting back to stock.

It's simple. If you delete an .apk you can extract JUST the .apk from either the Coby Update (If the app was included as stock) and the Google Marketplace (If the app was added on with Google). Then you simply mount your internal storage, drop the .apk onto internal storage and copy the file over to your "system/app" folder with a terminal emulator.

It's just as simple to copy it over as it is to rename the file. I'm not saying everyone should go willy nilly deleting everything. But I'm saying theres absolutely no reason to be resetting EVERYTHING back to stock after you delete something you shouldn't. Just extract, and copy.

Efferri

Jan 24, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Moving is a good idea for those few who are not as adept with this tablet. But deleting the file completely does no harm. If you delete a file and find you need it back, you can get the .apk back onto your device WITHOUT resetting back to stock.

It's simple. If you delete an .apk you can extract JUST the .apk from either the Coby Update (If the app was included as stock) and the Google Marketplace (If the app was added on with Google). Then you simply mount your internal storage, drop the .apk onto internal storage and copy the file over to your "system/app" folder with a terminal emulator.

It's just as simple to copy it over as it is to rename the file. I'm not saying everyone should go willy nilly deleting everything. But I'm saying theres absolutely no reason to be resetting EVERYTHING back to stock after you delete something you shouldn't. Just extract, and copy.

Right. I simply reinstalled gapps and I was back in business. I have since went through every single apk on the kyros and removed everything not needed. I have a perfectly stable and customized device now, thanks to this thread and others.

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
I seems to have found a working solution so the tablet doesn't turn back on while sleeping.

Settings->Wireless&Networking->Wifi Settings->(Press Menu)->Click Advanced->Wi-fi Sleep Policy->select NEVER

Found this on another forum, it worked for me. Please let me know if it works for you guys.

Just saw this... thanks, I'll give it a try.

Just installed the trial version of Smart Keyboard, great app, so far the best keyboard I've used.

Clancy

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
That's one of the things I like about forums. BKenney and I can disagree, state our reasons and keep doing it our way. Others can choose for themselves.
Only risk is that we let our disagreement become pollution in the thread. My apologies if we have.

Last edited:

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010
@l_n... Excellent! I will help BETA test some once you are to that point. Let me know if you need a volunteer.

@Clancy... thanks for the info on the keyboard, I will also try it.

@Ridgeland No need to apoligize to me, it is good to bring up alternate solutions and other options.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
That's one of the things I like about forums. BKenney and I can disagree, state our reasons and keep doing it our way. Others can choose for themselves.
Only risk is that we let our disagreement become pollution in the thread. My apologies if we have.

I agree with Ridgeland. I meant no harm with my comment. Just want to make it clear that it's not necessarily a serious harm to remove the .apks. Everyone should do things the way they prefer! :)

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
I know this is an older post, however; is there any chance we can get this bumped or stickied? I think its pretty good information but it took me forever to find it.

blpwrs3

Mar 9, 2011
I am trying to delete bloatware and preinstall Apps. I can not get the command to get list
of apps to work. What is he saying. It's written like this. 1s /system/apparently
please help

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
not 1s it's ls
as in L S but lower case
IMHO if you want to minimize bloat don't install Market. DO install ClockWorkMod for backup and recovery.

blpwrs3

Mar 9, 2011
if this gets sent twice, sorry. now back to deleting bloatware. I can now get the list but when I type the command to remove it says no file found. I remember from the past that usually means wrong spacing, so what is the correct space. I typed the command as follows
rm(space)/system/app/cardock.apk is this correct?
also do I really need to delete these files, will it free up enough space and/or make the coby run better to be worth it?
also not sure what is the purpose of the sd card if you can't install and/or move your apps there. do you know of a app to do this and if so will the app run the same.
also I see there is a antivirus app, do we need this for a coby.
also (last one I promise) has any tried to use one of the snes/gba/xxx emulators? if so which ones are the best and is it worth the trouble.

thanks for all the help.