Done with Android tablets for now !!!

indiandevil

Oct 29, 2010
well, after 3 tablets, first one cheap, 2nd one mid level, 3rd according to reviews good one and expensive.. i am done with android tablets at this moment of time.

I would be toying with my tablet to make wifi work, changing the ROM's with wifi boost etc, power conserve.. whatever.. i am disappointed. spent almost equivalent of The Tablet, and still no tablet to enjoy, while my girlfriend (who might become ex, if she keeps harping on as to why i didnt buy the tablet which she has, which is the iPad !)

I actually grilled holes into the back body of one of the tablets so that the heat would go away and also might improve wifi, but it sucks. i have no clue how to attach the pics of one tablet i smashed today, the 2nd one with holes.. and the 3rd one is ready packed to be shipped back for refund !!!

good luck to you all and thanks for tons of info here.

yoyodunno

Jan 5, 2011
Yeah maybe we can avoid the three you mentioned lol! And hey I don't blame you for getting out of android at this point, but in the near future I have high hopes for android.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I've found my tablet to be an outstanding way to get to know Android and a surprisingly good daily use device.

I'm sorry you've had a bad time of it.

indiandevil

Oct 29, 2010
@yoyodunno : 1. irobot ipad 7" with via chip (from ebay $107) also sold as flytouch etc etc 1st one, very cheap feel, wifi was horrible, made holes in the back for better connection but nothing, nada, zilsch ,
2. augen gentouch 7"
(from one city based photo retailer, $154), good feel, touch, but again horrible touch screen and sloooooooooow, returned it.
3. Sylvania tablet 7" (toysrus sale $154), good feel tablet, again.. horrible touch screen and slow.. no market etc etc, even as book reader the pages wouldnt turn. toyrus has horrible return policy on electronics, therefore cannot return it, not even store credit. smashed this one in anger (and i am in recovery, so i was not drunk)
4. bought a rockchip based 8", similar in looks to the gnome flytouch/via based. read all about faster chip, more ram etc etc, had the specifications,, but not smooth.. returned back to hongkong shipper (wasted 35$ but on return shipping, atleast i got $145 back.

Today: I bought pandigital novel. till now, its working good. touchscreen is fine, even with finger while reading books (which was one main main reason for buying the tablet, wifi works great, no breaks etc, uses sd card.. $64 out the door. pricewise the cheapest tablet i bought, but looks promising. well made machine. will not root the device. let it run smoothly for my book reading pleasure.

Havent given up on android tabs. waiting for android 3 and better brand name tablet maker.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
2. augen gentouch 7" (from one city based photo retailer, $154), good feel, touch, but again horrible touch screen and sloooooooooow, returned it.

About the same experience as you had. It does have a good physical feel, and is sturdy. The touch screen is bad, and for an 800Mhz processor the tablet is VERY SLLLLOOOOWWWWWW. Although I kept mine, for now, until I get another tablet in my hands.

Nismo

Oct 16, 2010
: 1. irobot ipad 7" with via chip (from ebay $107)
2. augen gentouch 7" [/B](from one city based photo retailer, $154),
3. Sylvania tablet 7" (toysrus sale $154),
4. bought a rockchip based 8", similar in looks to the gnome flytouch/via based. read all about faster chip, more ram etc etc, had the specifications,, but not smooth.. returned back to hongkong shipper (wasted 35$ but on return shipping, atleast i got $145 back.

Today: I bought pandigital novel. till now, its working good. touchscreen is fine, even with finger while reading books (which was one main main reason for buying the tablet, wifi works great, no breaks etc, uses sd card.. $64 out the door. pricewise the cheapest tablet i bought, but looks promisingQUOTE]

Sorry to say bud, but you get what you pay for and I made the exact same mistake you did except it only took me one time to make it with that piece of junk ZT-180 ($149)...it is collecting dust whle I am using my Galaxy Tab which is a beast of a device and yes it cost $500 but to ME it is worth every penny....

Live and learn though huh???

Enjoy your newest one....

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
i have to echo Nismo's sentiments. You picked the least expensive tablets out there, but seem to have pretty high expectations for them. Now, don't get me wrong at all, I firmly believe that if a manufacturer is going to sell a product, IT SHOULD WORK PROPERLY! Unfortunately that is not always the case.

Now you have bought a tablet that didn't try to do too much, or promise more functionality than it really could provide, and you seem much happier. All in all I am glad that it worked out for you, but I hope other readers see this as a cautionary tale. If you want iPad or Galaxy-like functionality, you need to spend those kind of dollars. Don't spend $100 dollars and expect it to be comparable.

indiandevil

Oct 29, 2010
i agree. one get what one pays for.. therefore.. i do not expect much stuff from pandigital novel .the good thing is that the touch screen is pretty nice, its pretty responsive.
i flashed it with modded ROM with market and stuff.. but then it became a bit slow, the volume keys had changed function, etc etc. reflashed to stock ROM.

i actually like this ebook reader as the ebook reader.

@Nismo: i liked the touch and feel of the galaxy tab. just didnt explore more as the cost " looked " too much for it.

@Pbrauer : i agree, expectations killed the earlier machines..

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
I bought 3 Coby Kyros tabs for my kids for christmas.... took a lot of tweaking/hacking, but they are running pretty well. Full market, most games/apps run, kids LOVE them. But yeah, they are still kinda slow especially in comparison to my rooted Droid X. I got these tabs for $149 at Shopko. For the money, and for how much the kids LOVE them, they were a good buy. For myself, they won't cut the mustard being used to a very fast in comparison Droid X. I am chomping at the bit for the dual core, tegra units to come out and get a little time to get settled in. The Notion Inc Adam looks very intriguing, but I will likely go with a bigger name company like the Moto Xoom. I have a serious Android bug that won't go away and you couldn't pay me to switch to Apple.

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
All that money you spent you could have just bought a Galaxy Tab and this thread wouldn't even exist. You can't honestly be trying to compare these three to an iPad. I have absolutely no issues with my Galaxy Tab and GLAD that I waited for this and did not buy the Elocity A7.

Live and learn and know that you get what you pay for. You can't honestly expect to get a low budget Android Tablet and think it's gonna compete with an iPad.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
If you don't want to spend money on a Galaxy Tab, but still want a good solid Android device, check out the Archos Gen8 Tablets.

I really like my Archos 70 250GB Internet Tablet, check them out maybe.

indiandevil

Oct 29, 2010
@ bilgediver: that is one i have my eyes on next.. let me get frustrated with pandigital novel first.. ;-)
i think i have a bug of trying to change... even my iphone looks different every week..