eReader Replacement

rocko

Nov 28, 2010
I want an eReader but an Android tablet seems more flexible and a looks to be a wiser investment.

I'm finding the volume of tablet info a little overwhelming. I'm not looking for much but I don't want to invest in crap.

I'm NOT looking for an iPad/Galaxy Tab.

I was going to buy a Kindle but I don't like being locked into Amazon's market.

Want list.
+ ~7" display
+ Capacitive Touch
+ Runs Kindle App
+ Runs Aldiko App
+ Android Market (hack)
+ 10+ hours battery life.
+ rootable

Something around $150~$200 to stay in line with eReader prices.

Although more than $200 , I like the looks of the Archos 70 but, it doesn't look to be in stock anywhere in the US yet.

Any suggestions?

-Rocko

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The range from the obvious NO such as the Maylong available down at your Walgreens for only $99USD. Or you can walk in and find others which will be decent augmented e-readers. Read this Thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-news/2713-black-friday-reality-check-think-before-you-buy.html It may provide options and clues.
If I were going to just consider what is available right now in the US. And limited by the price range you specify. I would search out for the Sylvania or the Coby Kyros.

Keep in mind all of the Tablets come from a few manufacturers and specific chipsets. The ones you really want to avoid is any that have a 8505 chipset installed. You will be sorry later otherwise.

rocko

Nov 28, 2010
The range from the obvious NO such as the Maylong available down at your Walgreens for only $99USD. Or you can walk in and find others which will be decent augmented e-readers. Read this Thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-news/2713-black-friday-reality-check-think-before-you-buy.html It may provide options and clues.
If I were going to just consider what is available right now in the US. And limited by the price range you specify. I would search out for the Sylvania or the Coby Kyros.

Keep in mind all of the Tablets come from a few manufacturers and specific chipsets. The ones you really want to avoid is any that have a 8505 chipset installed. You will be sorry later otherwise.

Good read. Thanks for the info.

rocko

Nov 28, 2010
So, I played with the nook color at my local B&N today on my lunch break. I was skeptical when I heard about it but was very impressed when I used it. Keep in mind I only messed with it for about 10~15 minutes. Navigating was a breeze. Reading was nice. Browsed some books, magazines, childrens picture books, ect....
As far as being an eReader....no complaints.

This quite honestly would be perfect for me rooted. I'd like to run some of the apps mentioned in my OP.
Does anyone having info on what's making the Nook Color tick? A few google searches all I come up with is an OMAP but no real details.

I think I just might have to wait till after Christmas. So much going on in this market right now.

-Rocko