Everything you wanted to know about the Motorola Xoom

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009

One of the most exciting devices to come out of CES this year is the Motorola Xoom (and the Droid Bionic). This device seems to be at final hardware revision levels and is already running Android Honeycomb (Android 3.0) which puts it quite a bit further along the development cycle then any other Android Tablet we've seen at this point. The specs for the device are quite impressive:

• Android 3.0 Honeycomb
  • Dual-Core 1Ghz Processor
  • Large 10.1" Display with 1280x800 Resolution
  • 1080p HDMI Output
  • 249.1mm H x 167.8mm W x 12.9mm D
  • 730 grams Weight
  • NVIDIA Tegra 2 Chipset
  • 10 Hour Video Playback Battery Life
  • 3.5mm Headphone, Micro USB 2.0, Wifi, Bluetooth, EDR, HiD Support
  • 3G, 4G LTE (Upgradeable), 802.11n + Personal Hotspot
  • 720p Video Capture, 1080p Playback/Streaming
  • 5MP Rear Facing Camera with Dual LED Flash
  • 2MP Front Facing Camera
  • 32GB Onboard Memory, SD Card Support (after software update)
  • 1GB DDR2 RAM

You can click this link to view the full spec sheet.

The expected release date according to Sanjay Jha is late February. The timeline for this hardware and this software is quite ambitious and we hope that Motorola, Verizon and Google can work together to meet it.

About the only thing we can't tell you about the device is the expected pricing. No word on that just yet but we will keep digging.

In the mean time you can discuss the Motorola Xoom on both DroidForums.net and AndroidTablets.net.

Motorola Xoom @ DroidForums.net
Motorola Xoom @ AndroidTablets.net

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
I'll probably just buy it if it is under 900 but the thing that I care most about is being off contract. They should sell a lot more units if there is this option.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I'm going to make a guess and say this unit hits for $599 off contract.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
That would be extremely great value since the Samsung 7" Galaxy Tab came out at that price. I'm thinking more $700-800

gulmiguel

Jan 6, 2011
In the beginning, I hadn't really given any consideration to tablets. I have been using my Droid X since August and I've been totally happy with it. As more and more news has been revealed about the Motorola Xoom and more info on the specs of it, I have begun to consider that it may be the next step in my Android evolution. I have no use for the iPad (just as I had no use for an iPhone). However, the XOOM seems waaay more flexible and useful. It also seems to be considerably more affordable. I can easily envision my DX and my XOOM working together. If the cost of the unit without a contract is not too expensive (and can have service without too much money) then I can easily see myself buying one. I'm on OT (Original Trekkie) and in the next incarnation (Next Generation) we all learned about the PADD. Has anyone noticed how that PADD seems to have influenced the development of the tablet? The original series gave us the communicator which is now realized in cell phones and here we have the next series giving us the PADD which has now been realized in these tablets. How can an OT like me stay away from this stuff? I'm excited - almost anxious. I really hope that Motorizon will be reasonable about the cost. I'm looking forward to sharing with the other forum members here in the discovery of a new tool and the uses that will be derived from it.

8IRon8Man3

Oct 19, 2010
The last thing I would do right now is get another contract with another data plan. I'm already paying $65 per month for comcast, and another $30 for the data plan on my phone. How many innernetz must I buy? Just give me a wifi model and I'm solid.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
I'm assuming it depends on what their sales were like for galaxy but I hate to say it...should nt they be taking from apples playbook and just sell it outright?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Tablet Forum App

kineo

May 27, 2010
well you could always buy it off of moto's site off contract. i'm guessing that it will cost between $500 and $600.

Comacine

Aug 23, 2010
Best-specced, best-presented and best-looking unit out this week (so far). A good price can make this one a winner. I'm only looking for the off-contract option too.

JimMariner

Dec 23, 2009
I am liking this one too. No need for another data plan though either. I'd rater just a Wi-Fi version of it.

Who wants to lug around a 10inch Cell Phone :p

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Also, assume its a given that its going to have GPS though I didn't see that in the specs (unless I missed it somewhere). Definitely would be interested in a WiFi version I could tether to my Sprint Optimus S hot spot.

superbike81

Jan 3, 2011
Yup. I'll be watching their site closely to see when pricing and ordering info is announced. If it's $600 or less off-contract, I'll be one of the first in line to buy it. Awesome!