Eye strain on NC

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
As of now I don't have any eye strain [hey, I am just new to it]

what are the precautions I should take to avoid it ?

I read in online that keeping in Grey mode reduces it while at other I read, keeping background black and texts white.

Also, can be NC used for heavy reading ? Say constant 8-9 hours.

Please reply and pour your points/ideas.

TIA :D

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Depends on your lighting and length of use...its why most of the ereader apps have a day/night mode...I would treat it the same way you would any other media.

I got eye strain from reading regular books, watching TV for too long, and I learned you need to let your eyes focus at different distances periodically. So if I were watching TV, I would make sure to look outside the livingroom (out a window, etc) and focus on something at a different distance than the TV...or if I were reading a book, I would focus on something further away...so I do it automatically when using my NC...

As for reading...I like light background and dark text when I have lots of ambient light around me, but when I am laying in bed at night, I like a darker background with lighter text...and I have had 6-7 hour reading sessions. (I was not feeling well last Monday, so it was a great reading day with my NC)

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
Also, mess with the backlight brightness for under different lighting conditions. I use Brightness Profiles to create custom brightnesses for the different lighting conditions (living room day, living room evening, full dark, etc). The backlight is ridiculously powerful on this . I think if I read at night, using full brightness with black on white text my eyeballs would melt within 14 minutes.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
most reader apps allow you to adjust brightness by sliding up and down on the left edge of the screen while in a book...so that makes it really to adjust as your lighting changes or as your eyes need it.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Thank you for your replies guys :)

As half of the web filled with Nook Coler - Eye strain, I was very scared. Very much. May be because of Kindle Fanboys :/

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Thank you for your replies guys :)

As half of the web filled with Nook Coler - Eye strain, I was very scared. Very much. May be because of Kindle Fanboys :/

HaHa, that is probably very true. Those fanboys fear the Nook Color.

The Nook Color gives you many opportunities to adjust brightness to avoid eye strain. B&N wants you reading lots on your NC, so you buy more books from them (that's the real reason they made the NC anyway, they certainly aren't making huge profits of the sale of the NC)

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
There is a lot of noise about backlit lcd being bad for reading. As if we all don't stare at backlit lcd for hours and hours every day for work. I think reading in underlit conditions are far worse for your eyes. The key is lighting the screen in such a way that it "feels" right. The way I do it, is to start with too little backlighting, and slowly raise to the point where the text is perfectly visible, and not a whit brighter than that. It reminds me of setting the water temperature for a shower - you just know when it's perfect.

The only thing that annoys me, and only slightly, is the strange sense that the screen is flickering, ala flourescent lights.

But I think the e-ink craze has to do with duplicating the feeling of reading paper as much as possible, for better or worse. As if no one's eyes ever were strained by reading a book.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Thank ya all for your replies...Now I am relieved :) *eyes are happy*