Finally getting a new tablet, the viewsonic g-tablet :). Need advise

Nov 21, 2010
Hey everyone,

So I absolutely love my Ideos S7. However the resistive screen has prevented me from really using it fully because it is very hard to type on it. I have tried 10 inch screens in stores and found that I am able to type with relatively little or no pain (I have fibromyalgia).

So, tigerdirect was have a freaking good deal on it (got it with shipping for 267) so its on its way and been reading the forums, but honestly I feel some of the topics are a little dated or I just want to hear from people directly what they think and feel instead of just reading it in piecemeal by thread.

So, wondering from users, what cheap case have you found that really work and get take a bit of a beating (I have toddlers at home)? Also, which custom rom are you using for your g-tablet and why?

I'm anxiously awaiting for UPS. In less than 2 days get to crack open a new tablet :) My poor ideos is going to be jealous.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I also went from the S7 to the Viewsonic, you will not be disappointed at all. Personally I like the g-clip from electroniccrap.com. Functional and easy to use. For a ROM, I would recommend either the Flashpoint Froyo or the Flashback Honeycomb. Either of these are great, stable and actively supported ROMs.

congrats!

Nov 21, 2010

Those cases are a little out of my price range honestly. He has some nice stuff. Does anyone know of any cases for around 20?

I very tempted to try out the honeycomb first. Been reading up on it and think it'll fit my needs pretty well. It'll be nice to run some of the apps I have been doing on my HTC Evo on the G-Tablet instead

looking335

Sep 18, 2011
TeacheronAndroid, welcome to the Gtab family. Though I wanted an inexpensive case, I did want the case to also act as a keyboard, so I opted to shell out a few more bucks and get a case with a USB keyboard from GSAstore. GSAstore was the only vendor who had this kind of case that would work with the Gtab--i.e. other similar cases would cover up the USB connection. The speakers are covered with GSAstore's case, but I've been curious if USB powered speakers would work. I paid $30 for the case. A word of warning, though, the case does not secure the tablet well--i.e. the top flap is magnetized and isn't a very tight fit, so if you accidentally hold the case upside down, your tablet may slide out. Still, this was the case that met 95% of what I needed. As far as ROM, that's a good question. There's been so many good releases (thanks to all the awesome developers), it is hard to stay on one ROM for very long. I've gotten the HC bug, so can't seem to stay away from it for too long. Flashback 8.1 is probably the best of all HC releases to date; very stable. With all other HC releases (including previous Flashback releases), the tablet would unexpectedly freeze (it seems to be connected to audio). When I would power off and power on the tablet, I'd get stuck at the 3 birds. I would be unable to access recovery. Nvflash was the only access. I've traveled a few times with my tablet and this happened. With no computer to nvflash, it was a very unhappy trip for me since the tablet couldn't do anything. I've had some freezes with Flashback 8.1 but a reboot fixes the problem. I liked gojimi's recent VEGAn release but Market goes wonky--i.e. quite often it would tell me apps/games are not compatible with my device and I would have to stop Market, clear cache, and reboot to fix. Loved the fact the camera worked. Outside of the Market issue, this is a solid release. If I wasn't hooked on HC, I'd be running that one. The Cyanogen crew gets much respect, so always have to take time and give their release a spin (some of the features and functionality they add to their releases are wicked). Finally, a group of hardcore Gtab lovers are working on porting HC 3.2 (with H/W acceleration to the Gtab). They have Ubuntu booting on the Gtab and wish I had a spare Gtab to try it out.

Hope this helps.