Firmware 2.02

sicktght311

Dec 6, 2010
Yeah i might have to. I'm going to fiddle around with it for now, and then try doing an exchange in a different location.

PaulM

Nov 22, 2010
I bought one of these at TRU yesterday evening on sale for $149.00.
There was a promo code for $15 off any purchase over $100.
There was an additional $25 off if you paid online with mastercard.

Bought it online for $109 plus tax and picked it up at the TRU down the street.

Mine does have the orientation sensor installed and it works really well.
The screen goes wonky and starts spinning in circles, sometimes when I
turn it on the home screen is upside down then goes right side up.

I installed the 2.02 update as soon as I got it so I don't know what it was like before
but it's pretty snappy, works well, it's no galaxy tab but it's 1/5 the price.

A couple of more updates to fix some small probs with the browser and such....

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
I also got mine from TRU, on black friday, and it has a working sensor and stereo headphone jack...so when they replenish stock it should be from the "new" batch. I think we finally figured out that the recover feature is in fact the same on either hardware model, but the headphone jack and sensor may be related together.

Sprdtyf - does your sensor work?

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Exactly what i was looking for. Way more simple than i was expecting it to be after reading the 1000s of posts about rooting. I'll give this a try tonight! Looking forward to the android 2.2 release in january for this thing!

If you can email me the apk that would be great too. [email protected] is fine!

Also anyone have any good places for apk files on the net, or at least for ones that are known to work? Just for the basic stuff like facebook, pandora, angry birds, ebuddy, etc.

Yes, thanks to all who started their obsession many months before us!

getjar.com has a lot of apps, that's where I got Angry Birds (including the new "seasons"!). It's a little funny cause it wants to know what device you have before you can download files. I found that setting it for a motorolla droid 2 works. When you click download it gives you the option to send to your phone or download to your computer (look for the little link). Then you'll have the apk file.

Tipstir also has a website dedicated to android tablets and has put together several nice packages of tools, apps, etc. There you'll find facebook, pandora, and a bunch of great stuff (hint: a task killer like "advanced task killer" is a must). Downloads

PaulM

Nov 22, 2010
We have a winner on a replacement for the market. Imaginethat posted about getjar.com above. I remember going there when I had
another phone I needed apps for. If you go to getjar.com on your tablet it goes to mobile and it recognizes the sylvania as a
Zenithink ZT-180 and you're good to go.

sicktght311

Dec 6, 2010
Well i rooted the device last night and removed skyfire without an issue! Next up will be removing the phone and cell instances that are draining the battery.

Also FYI, i've been using this site to get all my apps. So far it has everything i've been looking for, all working 100%. Got angry birds up last night, god i missed that game haha. Also advanced task killer, facebook, ebuddy, etc etc. All good to go

Android Freeware: Best and Free Software for Android mobile platform

PaulM

Nov 22, 2010
Well i rooted the device last night and removed skyfire without an issue! Next up will be removing the phone and cell instances that are draining the battery.

Also FYI, i've been using this site to get all my apps. So far it has everything i've been looking for, all working 100%. Got angry birds up last night, god i missed that game haha. Also advanced task killer, facebook, ebuddy, etc etc. All good to go

Android Freeware: Best and Free Software for Android mobile platform

Could you post a step by step on what you're doing?
That would be helpful to everyone.

Sprdtyf350

Nov 26, 2010
I also got mine from TRU, on black friday, and it has a working sensor and stereo headphone jack...so when they replenish stock it should be from the "new" batch. I think we finally figured out that the recover feature is in fact the same on either hardware model, but the headphone jack and sensor may be related together.

Sprdtyf - does your sensor work?

No it doesn't, and neither did the headphone jack. (I fixed it with my trusty soldering iron)

bw6653

Dec 16, 2010
I'm new to this android thing but I would like to update the firmware on my sylvania before i give it to my wife for Xmas. I have played with it a little bit and I think since she wanted it primarily as a e reader it will be a good value for what she gets.. I would like to make it easier to move files hence with update so I can use USB.. I can't find a update firmware anywhere in the settings.. Please post a step by step how to. Pictures would be nice also.. thanks.. I think it would help others as well.

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
1. Click on the applications icon (the 4x4 grid of squares)
2. Click on the menu icon (icon with 4 horizontal bars) or press the menu button on the back side of the unit.
3. Click on the "Add Applications" icon (a filled circle with a plus sign inside)
4. Scroll down until you find "Upgrade system" and select it.

It should now be added as an icon on your application desktop.

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
did anyone happen to capture a log of where the update wrote stuff to?

There are some folks who are getting the message that no recovery was found when they try to recovery their device and i'm wondering if we can pull the file from one of ours that is working properly.

w1oes

Dec 20, 2010
Ok so I updated to there version of froyo Android 2.2 wow what a mess most of the apps trying to install wont install. the ones that load crash a lot. I wiped the device twice to see if it would fix it same errors. Going wait till somone builds a custom rom. Tried to look at options to ad market hack but looks a little complicated. Wondering if anyone has added the market yet?

naysses

Nov 8, 2010
It may be a stupid question but How to use the microsd card?
I mean, every time that I download an app is not going to microsd card but is going to the remaining 1Gb (less than 1 Gb now) that came with the sylvania.
Even if I download to the MicroSd card when I install it is just go to the original internal storage.