Firmware 2.02

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
you need an app for moving stuff to sd in 2.1 app to sd isn't native until 2.2

There may be more to it than a simple app as well i'm not very keen on those kind of things

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Ok so I updated to there version of froyo Android 2.2 wow what a mess most of the apps trying to install wont install. the ones that load crash a lot. I wiped the device twice to see if it would fix it same errors. Going wait till somone builds a custom rom. Tried to look at options to ad market hack but looks a little complicated. Wondering if anyone has added the market yet?

Froyo on the Sylvania? You mention "their version of 2.2" - where did you find it?

tae254

Dec 20, 2010
Yes there is a lot more that just an application. You have to partition your SD card to ext2,3, or 4 and fat. Then you have to install the apps2sd.zip file and have a rom that is compatible with apps2sd. Since we have no custom roms as of yet, we have no apps2sd support.

w1oes

Dec 20, 2010
When I use update apk installed on the device it rebooted after installing 2.2 this can be verified by going to about device in settings it now shows a version dg2.02

tae254

Dec 20, 2010
When I use update apk installed on the device it rebooted after installing 2.2 this can be verified by going to about device in settings it now shows a version dg2.02

This is Android 2.1 version dg2.02. Its not the Android 2.2 froyo.

19maycraft

Jan 4, 2011
OK..so I just got the sylvania tablet and I have an issue right out of the box..I am getting the error "unable to scan for wireless networks" Any ideas...Mine came with firmware 2.01...since I can connect to the internet..I cant get to 2.02..Anywhere I can download the firmware image..then I could put it on my sd card and try to upgrade..None of the stores in my local area have anymore so at this point I cant even exchange..Any ideas" I did a cursory look across the net...and it seems their are many android products that run into this area...so I thought it might be software and not hardware..thanks in advance

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
OK..so I just got the sylvania tablet and I have an issue right out of the box..I am getting the error "unable to scan for wireless networks" Any ideas...Mine came with firmware 2.01...since I can connect to the internet..I cant get to 2.02..Anywhere I can download the firmware image..then I could put it on my sd card and try to upgrade..None of the stores in my local area have anymore so at this point I cant even exchange..Any ideas" I did a cursory look across the net...and it seems their are many android products that run into this area...so I thought it might be software and not hardware..thanks in advance

as of right now there is nothing to flash and we don't have a working recovery or any way to flash anything.

I would try using the built in power control widget to disable the wifi and then turn it back on with the widget this did it for me one time.

If this doesn't work try to wipe the tablet and reset it back to factory by doing the following:

Hold the tablet so you can:

Press on and hold the touchscreen, then press the power and menu buttons at the same time.

It then says if you want to recover press the required buttons. I pressed power, and menu again and it restored.

The original post for wipe instructions can be found here

fred615

Dec 26, 2010
So I updated to 2.02 a week or so ago hoping that the auto-rotate would work; nope. I read where someone suggested using Launcher Pro and that would get it to auto-rotate. But it turned the main screen upside down and then when I open some of the apps, they flip back to the original orientation and if I go back to the main screen, it flips to the upside down orientation. So I uninstalled Launcher Pro and on the next boot, I got an error message saying it couldn't activate the Android launcher and shut off. Total Panic!! But, on a reboot an hour later, I got the same error message but it asked if I wanted to force a Close, and after answering yes, it went right to the original main screen but still upside down.!!

First question: how can I get the Sylvania cleansed of Launcher Pro?
2- Is the orientation thing a proven hardware issue with older vs. newer pads?

Other beginner questions;
What is "adb" ?
What is the "OTG" port?
What does "wipe" mean? (reset to factory specs?)
What does "root" mean? (something similar to editing the registry on a PC?)

Thanks in advance for any help..

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
First question: how can I get the Sylvania cleansed of Launcher Pro? try rebooting the tablet again and see if you still get the message
2- Is the orientation thing a proven hardware issue with older vs. newer pads? there are aparently some early revisions of the tablet that do not have an orientation sensor you could have one that doesn't

Other beginner questions;
What is "adb" ? android debug bridge = it lets you trouble shoot your tablet in a command line interface from another pc
What is the "OTG" port? OTG = on the go usb. This port is used for connecting your tablet to your pc to dump data to the sdcard (in theory could also be used for usb debugging see ADB)
What does "wipe" mean? (reset to factory specs?) you hit the nail on the head on this tablet when we say wipe it is exactly that it wipes it back to the most recent update. (although some people are getting an error about no recovery image installed when they try to wipe) see here for instructions
What does "root" mean? (something similar to editing the registry on a PC?) root is like jail breaking an iphone/ipod but for android to put it simple. although we can do ALOT and i mean alot more with root than Icrap users can with jailbreaking. Since android is linux kernel based root access give you simply that ROOT access. In comparison to a pc it would be like having an admin account if i had to draw a comparison.

these are just my interpretation of the answers you're looking for. I'm still extremely new to this android stuff. all i can suggest is READ, READ, READ some more and when you're done with that go back and read all the stuff you just read again it will make better sense.