First A2109 Brick? Please help to recover

AndreasWatch

Dec 11, 2012
Hi,
Since I've bought my first Android device I was playing around with own kernels and recoverys...so today the first time I think I briked my device.
Could you please help me to recover it?

Problem is: Android isnt booting correctly, so I can do nothing trough the touchscreen or ADB.
Fastboot is only showing the Image in the middle of screen.
"Fastboot devices" is not showing anything.

Recovery can be connected trough ADB.
Problem is that it can not find any partitions of the internal andexternal sdcard.
I tried to create device links using mknod, but dont know the right adresses of the devices/partitions.
I think I miss the correct drivers - is anyone knowing more about this?

Is there an other way to recover the device? Something like nvflash?

Thanks a lot
Andreas

Last edited:

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Can you boot recovery? I think that'll give you access to ADB. Then you can reboot with ADB reboot fastboot (I think that is the syntax). In fastboot, flash the recovery image again. That should get you going. These suckers are tough to brick...

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
If you recovery can't find the partitions, that's usually a sign that you have either the ICS bootloader and a JB recovery or vice versa. Install the correct recovery it should mount the partitions.

To solve the issue you're having with fastboot, try disconnecting the USB cable to your PC, then boot into the bootloader/fastboot, then connect the USB cable. Sometimes when the USB is already connected when starting fastboot (from a power down), fastboot doesn't seem to work right. The other solution is to reboot into the bootloader using 'adb reboot bootloader' from Android or from recovery.

AndreasWatch

Dec 11, 2012
Thanks a lot!
fastboot worked when I plugged in the USB connector later.
Now I reinstalled android and recovery, and it is working.

My mistake was to mix a wrong configured own ics recovery with a not working jb kernel...

Do you know if there is a problem with jb and wifi?
because I can't get it running :/

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks a lot!
fastboot worked when I plugged in the USB connector later.
Now I reinstalled android and recovery, and it is working.

My mistake was to mix a wrong configured own ics recovery with a not working jb kernel...

Do you know if there is a problem with jb and wifi?
because I can't get it running :/

Did you see my earlier post on WiFi? I am running JB and wifi is working extremely well. Clocked the highest speed I have ever seen through my router earlier today.

AndreasWatch

Dec 11, 2012
I don't know why, but after the third reflash of jb stock wifi is running again.

Do you know where are the exactly technical differences between the two bootloaders?
Is a new bootloader only needed for tegra based devices?
Are there other names/paths or sizes for the partitions?
Why we need other kernels for the jb bootloader?

I have searched the web for technical informations but I've got only results like flashing howtos...

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know why, but after the third reflash of jb stock wifi is running again.

Do you know where are the exactly technical differences between the two bootloaders?
Is a new bootloader only needed for tegra based devices?
Are there other names/paths or sizes for the partitions?
Why we need other kernels for the jb bootloader?

I have searched the web for technical informations but I've got only results like flashing howtos...

The second or JB bootloader isn't needed as far as I can tell, a few new functions have been added, I use the ICS bootloader without any problems. My guess lenovo might have thought about releasing the 4.2 which would require a different bootlodaer, but jb 4.1 doesn't need one.

Last edited:

AndreasWatch

Dec 11, 2012
Good to know, thanks!

The second or JB bootloader isn't needed as far as I can tell, a few new functions have been added, I use the ICS bootloader without any problems. My guess lenovo might have thought about releasing the 4.2 which would require a different bootlodaer, but jb 4.1 doesn't need one.

I noticed that when reflashing a new Rom, the Wifi must first get turned off.
Otherwise, the wifi adapter is no longer accessible.
I wasn't able to activate my wifi until I flashed the Stock-ICS-Rom.
Maybe this helps someone...

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Good to know, thanks!

I noticed that when reflashing a new Rom, the Wifi must first get turned off.
Otherwise, the wifi adapter is no longer accessible.
I wasn't able to activate my wifi until I flashed the Stock-ICS-Rom.
Maybe this helps someone...

All tips help, I currently dual boot, I guess hoping Lenovo will do the right thing and release JB, 4.2.
Until then my main OS will be ICS, shame to pay this much for an ics tablet