From stock firmware to gingerbread in a few hours or less ... pointers?

enidone

Apr 3, 2011
Hi all,

I bought a 7015 (I believe it's an A) some time ago and would like to try rooting and installing gingerbread.

I updated the Coby firmware shortly after I purchased the tablet but I haven't done anything since.

This was months ago and I see that there's been a lot of activity since that time. I really have to give credit to all the people who post detailed instructions here and elsewhere - that's a lot of hard work.

I am a bit lost, however, in all the posts (not to mention different forums). And I'm limited on the amount of time I can spend.

So I need a bit of a roadmap.

Do I need to move to any of the intermediate Droid OS's after I root, or can I root and then proceed to try a gingerbread install?

I would assume you'd need a rooted tablet first and foremost. Looks like you would also need ClockworkRecovery and su.

Finally, should I get an SD card reader before I "try this at home"?

A collection of high-level steps with links to relevant posts should do the trick.

Thanks so much. Apologies if this has been asked before.

jetta02awp

Dec 14, 2010
I don't believe that it needs to be rooted to update to gingerbread. Its quite different than any Android mod I've done before. The process is to actually reimage the tablet instead of flashing some zips and boom you're done. Its actually kind of a pain but the end result is worth it. Just follow the directions very closely on the tipstir forums and you should be good.

enidone

Apr 3, 2011
Thanks jetta02awpand Murf. Sorry for the delayed response.

Do you know if the gingerbread image referred to in the links above include the Google marketplace? The "Showing my Geek" blog post refers to the marketplace but I don't know whether that user already had it installed. I'll probably ask the author of that post as well, since the comments thread over there is still alive.

Murf

Jun 20, 2011
I didn't use the Chinese image on the "Showing my Geek" blog link. So I don't know about that one. I use the ones from tipstir on the KTZ site. I believe all the ones on there already have the Market included. I don't remember ever having to add the Market separately on 2.3.1 or 2.3.3.