Gentouch 78- USB Connectivity- USB Flash Stick / HDD Drive / Bluetooth/ Card Reader

elpolarys

Aug 17, 2010
Good Day, I try to understand as many thinks are possible about this new Gentouch 78;
I purchased one , and I’m picking pieces of discussions from multiple forums.

While I was looking over the Internet, I was pretty impressed about the idea of change the Touch Screen with an capacitive one.

Please give me some thoughts if …is this possible?

Did somebody open an Gentouch 78 and look into existing touch screen cable interface and concluded that it’s similar with 3M one ?
I’m wondering if the 3M touch screen will fit the Gentouch 78, hardware-wise, and if the Gentouch 78 OS, will notice or have the features/ options built in, to take advantage of a capacitive screen.

With such a big community behind, I’m wondering if we will be able to connect and USB Flash memory stick to the Gentouch 78 and move files between Micro SD, USB Stick and nand folder.

I noticed t in the Gentouch 78 manual , Augen is showing this as a possibility.Of course I already send them an e-mail…and no answer….

The internet community seems to be more informed than the Augen Service rep. When we will be able to connect and USB Stick to IT, and of course what is the maximum capacity that Gentouch 78 will be able to see it.

In the same note,

We will be able to connect and Portable HDD to USB port ?How about an Card Reader, or even maybe and Bluetooth Dongle.?

I appreciate your thoughts / advice.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Better to do that on PC side there are third-part software that can do that for free. Just connect the GT78 to the PC and that's it.

Aug 10, 2010
I think he is referring to the fact that the USB host just does not work as advertised... period.

Try hooking up a keyboard with the included cable and it is a no-go. The biggest issue is that there is no 5V Power source on the line. The drivers may or may not be in there and I have yet to hook it up to my powered USB hub at home. If that works and if it is possibly just that it needs the 5V power supplied elsewhere, then the job is pretty simple.

This is why they have separate USB ports for OTG and Sync in many devices. There has to be a 5V tap in there somewhere. If not, it would be pretty easy to boost up or regulate down as long as a 3V or 6V+ is found (we know the 8.4V from the li-ion). I guess that good news is that we do have space in this device!

Still, WTF Augen??????? You post in your manual that the device does USB keyboards and include the damn cable. That, is called lying sir and I do not take too kindly to it.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
AuGen manual is a joke, but I think they hope it could do those wonderful things. Remember manuals are only created by staff members who just take notes and gather up all the notes to make the manual up. I think manual and those who do UAT should sit down and say this it what it can really do, then add those notes to the manual. Otherwise you got a manual and the product that doesn't do half the things it could do.

kalou

Sep 15, 2010
I'm interested with Augen78 to put it in my car, using a good USB soundcard.
Is someone out there able to test if the Gentouch is able to drive an external usb soundcard ?

sifon187

Aug 22, 2010
The GT can use USB devices if you flash the Surferdevice ROM ( Europe released GT). But I would wait until an update is released to allow USB devices to GT.

livingenzyme

Sep 3, 2010
Augen support is just absolutely terrible. To give you an idea, 2 weeks ago I opened a ticket asking them if there was a way to remove fring. I already knew the answer as I've removed it a long time ago. I just got a reply (after 2 weeks) that they don't know and that may be apk manager might remove it. They adviced me to let them know if apk manager could remove it.

Um, they couldn't spend a whole minute to try this themselves?

So, I went on to live chat and asked them the same question. Again, they gave me the canned answer of going to settings and applications. IT DOESN'T WORK, MORON! It takes a whole 10 seconds to try this. The only explanation I can come up with in regard to this is these people are lazy and aren't even bothering to try out their own device.

I encourage you to converse with them sometime on the gentouch. Probe a little bit and you will very quickly find out those tech support only know the most basics of this device. I doubt they have even tried to use the device more than once.

sifon187

Aug 22, 2010
I doubt Augen would spend much money on tech support. They are a small company with a small budget. In reality there are not many decent tech supports out there. Ever call Dell tech support? F*cking hell.

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US) using Tapatalk

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Long time ago I use to support Compaq Helpdesk hub, sure most of the techs didn't want to take the same call over and over again. But you could loose it also and just hang-up on the caller! Anyway I could never get live chat to work. I think their Helpdesk team is lazy at Augen. Shame they sell cheap products to Kmart and Sears but seem to not back their end product. Kmart 90-days policy is the only way to voice your complaint. Augen new line of tablets might not be jumped at like the Gentouch78 was. I think these touchscreen panels are not high grade just way to many dead or stuck pixel and backlight bleeding.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
early on shortly after the initial release of the GT-78 live chat on their support site was hardly ever on but as of late the "online" status has been on ever time i swing by their site.. and i've actually chatted a couple times with someone.. so give them a shot again if you've had difficulty getting it to connect..

Gosling

Oct 8, 2010
So, how did you remove the annoying Fring?

Cheers,

Gosling

Augen support is just absolutely terrible. To give you an idea, 2 weeks ago I opened a ticket asking them if there was a way to remove fring. I already knew the answer as I've removed it a long time ago. I just got a reply (after 2 weeks) that they don't know and that may be apk manager might remove it. They adviced me to let them know if apk manager could remove it.

Um, they couldn't spend a whole minute to try this themselves?

So, I went on to live chat and asked them the same question. Again, they gave me the canned answer of going to settings and applications. IT DOESN'T WORK, MORON! It takes a whole 10 seconds to try this. The only explanation I can come up with in regard to this is these people are lazy and aren't even bothering to try out their own device.

I encourage you to converse with them sometime on the gentouch. Probe a little bit and you will very quickly find out those tech support only know the most basics of this device. I doubt they have even tried to use the device more than once.

azmon

Oct 28, 2010
I encourage you to converse with them sometime on the gentouch. Probe a little bit and you will very quickly find out those tech support only know the most basics of this device.

mithandir

Dec 28, 2010

Still, WTF Augen??????? You post in your manual that the device does USB keyboards and include the damn cable. That, is called lying sir and I do not take too kindly to it.

I can confirm that the second edition/generation does support usb keyboards. Now to see what else it can support.
EDIT-

I tried a PNY 2 GB flash. It seemed to work. Message "Preparing USB mass Storage" when inserted. I could not find if/where it was mounted. when i removed the device it gave the warning message "USB mass storage device unexpectedly removed"

3 button wheel mouse is fully supported!

Also tried a generic USB bluetooth dongle. Nothing happened :(

Last edited: