Gingerbread Android 2.3.6 Beta version for Le Pan 1 TC970 - out for testing

spikeman

Dec 23, 2011
spikeman, if you got the 'Firmware File is Corrupted/Bad' etc message, it will not load from that card - either the stock, factory firmware or the CWM you need to install Gingerbread.
You will need to use a card that the Tablet finds OK - the Le Pan provided works for me for these operations; while my larger 16 GB card doesn't.

If you want to install Gingerbread, or later to re-install the Le Pan original firmware, you need a SD card that works; try the 2 GB one you should have got with the tablet.
You will need to save the 3 files for the Le Pan original firmware to the root directory (top-level directory) in the card, They have the exact same names as the CWM ones, so if you want to keep CWM on the card, move the three files to a folder, before copying the Le Pan ones to the SD card's root directory.

Ok, I just asked because the last update Fiwmare (4626) did it form my new SD of 16Gb.

So I´m going to try with the 2Gb default SD.....I want to know if in order to get back to the 4626 Android 2.2 I have to get the firmware files (of 4626) with the Cyandroid Files too...I mean all this files together in the same 2Gb SD?

Thanxs!

UPDATE
Just a couple minutes I try to install this beta firmware with my SD 2Gb but nothing, it doesnt works. (Firmware file is bad)
I just copy all the files of the ZIP folder (META INF, system, iboot, eamsidk, recovery), I attach one image of the files
$8228706_502x192.jpg
Am I doing something worng?
Appreciate the feedback

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
If you want to install the Factory default firmware, you would place all 3 files in the root directory of an SD card.

However - the CWM file has the same name (griffin.ifw) as the Factory firmware file - they cannot be in that folder at the same time. You might have mixed the CWM griffin with the le pan firmware one, maybe.

The 2 GB Sandisk card that ships with the Le Pan tablets is excellent, and what I use for firmware, backups, Beta installs.

I purchased an 8 GB Sandisk card yesterday, and tried to see if it would load CWM from it too - and it did, no problem.

Maybe wipe out those files from your card, all three from the root directory, then rewrite them there, try to load them.

Good luck! :)

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
** Just finished installing the Beta 2 successfully.

A couple odd little glitches, I shut it down and restarted, better.

If your screen seems locked into Portrait, phone-like mode - try disable Auto-Rotate in Settings. Re-installing apps from Market now.

EDIT : Via DropBox for Android, from my newly installed Beta 2 CM7 :

7_16_02_12_12_28_41.png

EDIT 2 :

A new thread was created here, with a step by step install guide :
[h=2][Tutorial] CyanogenMod 7 Gingerbread - step by step installation Guide[/h]

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
From our CM7 Beta release discussion thread in another forum :

Noticed an odd glitch on installing, thought it could be my upgrading that wasn't working 100%. But we chatted on irc, 3 of us saw the same issue :

<dbaybay> Working good?
<yann2_> there's some glitches on install though
<yann2_> we all seem to have seen the same strange thing
<yann2_> working good yes
<yann2_> but it's kind of odd at first
<dbaybay> Weird, what happened?
<yann2_> at first, the screen was flickering very quickly
<yann2_> then I powered off, restarted, that went away
<yann2_> but then the tab locked into portrait mode
<yann2_> so I had to go and disable Autorotate
<yann2_> the worst is the flickering, will drive people nuts
<yann2_> I thought was just my own install, but gs harry and me all saw that

Once I got over that, it's working very well. Mentioning it here in case someone sees similar symptoms. Thanks again, cas_xp. ;)

** And in a later reply :

Typhoid-M said:
I didn't notice any flickering during the setup.
I thought it might have been something on my particular install, even if I had wiped out all 3 data caches as recommended.

But then we discussed it on IRC, 3 of us had seen the same flickering, so it's probably affecting more people. :(

Worst part - many might not work thru it, give up, curse at us for telling them about this Beta, etc. :p

Typhoid-M said:
Anybody else having video playback issues? Or am i just missing a something?
Had seen people mention, and just before heading to bed, I tried it out.

No go - video on YouTube did not play at all, either via YT app or DolphinHD; iPad Mode or not.

My guess - I think this might be related to the odd flickering issue, we had OpenGL accelerated video on Beta 0, worked fine all around. My first install was issue-free.

That probably is broken now, so it will need work, it's probably why video play doesn't work. Again, just a guess.

Anyone else experiencing any issues, difficulties -- Please Report here, we can compile a Known Issues list, link it to the original post here. Thank you...

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2011
Here is a video of cm7 beta 2 on the TC 970.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?feature=mhee&v=VH1DgqNP0v0

Sent from my TC970 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Congrats guys this is really a big deal! First CM7 will be great and I'm sure the bugs will be worked out in no time. Once it is stable I'm sure the work will begin on CM9 (if it hasn't already) and eventually you will have fully open tablets running ICS!

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks, J515OP. :)

I really believe it's a big deal too, Le Pan left us stranded on Froyo Android 2.2, since they rather use their Development staff to create and ship new products.

There's an early project thread at XDA Developers for a TC970 ICS port, hopefully that could become reality. I will be happy with the CM7 release, it's a big step beyond factory default.

Cheers. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks, J515OP. :)

I really believe it's a big deal too, Le Pan left us stranded on Froyo Android 2.2, since they rather use their Development staff to create and ship new products.

There's an early project thread at XDA Developers for a TC970 ICS port, hopefully that could become reality. I will be happy with the CM7 release, it's a big step beyond factory default.

Cheers. :)

Absolutely. I have heard nothing but good things about the Le Pan from you guys and it sounds like quite a device. For those that have been happy with the stock TC970, just wait until you get a stable CM7 to run. I suspect there will be no going back for most of you ;)

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Originally sent to cas_xp via PM at XDA Developers site, didn't want to add a lengthy post to this thread (or the release thread there either). Hope we can discuss it if anyone can confirm the issue or has any suggestions. Thank you.

I had some problems with wi-fi, wrote a thread at LePanLife with the details and what I think the cause could be.

I am hoping this could help - the thread is here.

Thank you for all the work you are doing.

Really like CM, so much nicer than the stock OS.

From that post, here's the top part :

Executive Summary :

I have been investigating slow wifi file transfers in the Le Pan tablets. We observed a real world average of 8 Mb/s on large file tranfers over the wireless connection, both on the Le Pan 1 and II.

Upon trying to test with the CM7 Betas, I find that transfers are failing - they start well, seem to reach 12 Mb/s average but drop to zero soon after; all of the transfers failed on my tests.

Probable reason : - It's possible the CM7 port to the Le Pan 1 was built using the wifi drivers from the stock Le Pan firmware. Some versions of LP firmware had bad behavoiur on wifi, with multiple users reporting issues.

Later versions, like the leaked v.4749 firmware fixed the problem. I was running this version until installing CM7 Beta 0.

Possible Fix : I am creating this report to show cas_xp what I have observed, he's the one that knows the build inside out. I have a feeling we might be able to replace the current wifi driver in the CM7 Beta build with the one from the 4749 Le Pan one.

This might or not be possible, we just need to have more testing and try to document the problem, to start the fixing. [/Executive Summary]

Please see the full details here, if interested.

yann2

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
From a discussion elsewhere, this could be useful for someone new to installing the CM7 Betas :

esunday said:
salazar1979 said:
When trying to install zip I keep getting "status error 7".Anyone know what this is? Unable to flash.

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") =="griffin" || getprop("ro.build,product") =="griffin"
E:Error in sccard/update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-griffin-sign.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I get the same error. Have CWM installed fine, wiped everything, did install zip from SD card, no joy. On the plus, restoring my nandroid from CWM and then my apps from Titanium worked beautiful, really takes the dread and angst out of trying roms, when that rom urge hits

esunday, we were discussing this last night.

I was trying a different thing (an early alpha) and had the same Assert errors.

Turns out there's a check in the installer script - to make sure you are not flashing the software into the wrong device.

The CM Beta checks for 3 lines in the build.prop configuration file:

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "griffin" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "griffin" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "griffin");
ui_print(" ");

So, you MUST have these three lines matching, or install aborts. In the build,prop file, the lines should read :

ro.product.device=griffin
ro.build.product=griffin
ro.product.board=griffin

These lines are not important to 'make the Market work', or fool it into thinking you have a different tablet or phone model.

Either you edit them like that (which can only be done by a Rooted user), or, if you are non-rooted, the lines will be correct, as they are Le Pan's default values.

One last option - there's an option in CWM to ignore Assert errors. Use it with extreme caution, as you could brick, kill any device if you flash in the wrong software.

If you know it's the correct version, you can use this option - it's on the submenu under 'Install from Zip' in CWM.

Hope this helps! :)

EDIT : a new development - we discovered the reason for the error message above, sometimes happening to people who had NOT rooted their tablet or edited the Build.prop settings:

dhamma said:
I had had cwm on my card since it was first released, it still showed everything upside down. Downloaded Griffin.zip again, extracted all 3 files: Griffin, boot, and another, and was surprised to see cwm right side up.

Aahh - That makes sense.

There's a newer release of CMW, the one that's linked in this and XDA's release threads.

If anyone has an older version, there's a more up to date one out. Link on the first post of this thread. Thanks, dhamma!

Or get it right here !

Last edited:

Danny

Jan 11, 2011
Instaled It today it looks and runs great so for!!!
Will there a fix for the cam at some point?
Thanks so much.....

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Hi, Danny, yes. Cas_xp is working on issues one at a time, and the number of people running CM7 Beta has been increasing with each new version.

Having tried it since Beta 0, I found it hard to go back to factory firmware, and stuck with it. Then we got sound fixed, then other features.

Beta 3 is very functional, video playback works perfectly and I can once again watch SassiBob on the XDA Developers channel. (love her). :p

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
The post below is a copy of my reply at another forum, where I am the Support person for the Beta CyanagenMod 7 for Le Pan project.

Someone who appreciated the work and the quality of the CM7 ROM asked :

tshea55a said:
yann2 - you nailed it! CWM right side up, Beta3 installed smoothly and booted great. Running well and looks great. Love the crisp and tight graphics and fonts. Thanks for all the help guys like you and dbaybay provide to this noob. One more request - a link to cas-xp's donate page.

:) Wonderful I am glad for you. I have loved CM7 since the first time it booted on my tablet. And I couldn't give it up. :)

Kept it on, and have been patching, testing, helping spread the word. Thanks for your feedback. ;)

Anyone interested in donating to Cas_xp, this is the official Paypal Donation link (right from the button on his release post at XDA Developers forum.)

Or you can go in Paypal, and use his donation email, as listed in his XDA user profile - [email protected] :

casxpprofiledona.png

And in another post :

esunday said:
The screen resolution looks so good, is that due to a change in LCD density?

Yes, I think so, part of it.

The LCD Density setting is 160 in the Betas, and there's also the fact it comes with a very subtle graphics shell, ADW Launcher. I find it lovely too, couldn't go back to factory default. ;)

Last edited:

nomade

Feb 22, 2012
Work nicely! Good Job.

so far i can confirm that the Camera is not working yet.
The GPS seem to work, at least google maps show my current location.

Audio/Video works good.
Flash Player a little slow in some games, but works. I believe it could be due to slower hardware.

In general we are very happy.