[Tutorial] CyanogenMod 7 Gingerbread - step by step installation Guide

StevenJDM

Jun 29, 2012
So I'm new to the Le Pan TC 970 and I rooted it once I received it earlier today.

After finding out about this thread, I thought I'd give it a try since I hate Froyo. I downloaded the CWM file via the link from the OP and extracted it to the root of my SD card then downloaded the CM7 ROM. I powered down my tablet then powered it back on by holding the -Volume and power button at the same time which led me to a screen that said firmware update error and said press the power button to reboot or something like that.

I noticed right before the tablet powers down after I hold down the power button, the SD card unmounts. I thought if that would be why it's not booting into recovery. Also, right after I rooted it, I downloaded ROM Manager and flashed a CWM manually but I now found out that there isn't a CWM for this tablet especially doing it through ROM Manager so maybe the flash of the CWM is still there? I'm not sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Steven,

A couple notes for you :

- The CWM program we use for the TC970 has to be loaded from the SD card, it cannot be flashed via Rom Manager.

- the 'firmware file is BAD!' error message is common, and is caused by SD card compatibility issues. Recommend you try the 2 GB Sandisk card that came with your le pan originally, as that card is good and always works.

Larger cards sometime work (my 8GB Sandisk class 4 works) sometimes doesn't (my class 10 1 6GB card won't work).

Afrolex

Aug 11, 2011
In the instructions for getting CWM to load you say to "Download the file from the link above, then unzip it to the Root directory of your SD card. (that's the top level directory, similar to 'C:\' in your computer's hard disk)." I unzipped the file to the root drive but it wouldn't load. I spent a lot of time trying to get it to work so I finally just placed the entire file zip file in the root and it loaded right away.

I'm pretty new to this so it was a little confusing. Nobody else mentioned having a problem so maybe I'm just a dummy.

2insane

Aug 2, 2012
Hey all
I just rooted my lp1 one and installed gingerbread everthong went smooth now my question
I installed beta 5 and there's are two more things beta 6 and beta 5,5 for GPS and Skype voice it says I have to flash them how do I flash them and another thing
I am unable to set a lockscreen on my tab how do I set a lock screen I mean I set up a pattern lock but when I turn off the tablet and then turn it on
They is no pattern lock ?

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
2insane,

The 5.5 and 6.0 files are very small, just an update to the CM7 Beta 5 installed system.

Installing them is done from ClockWorkMod, similar to installing the full Beta packages - But DO NOT delete uer data, cache or Dalvik cache.

Just boot into the CWM recovery, play with the up or down volume buttons until you get the 'back menu enabled' message, then select 'install zip from SD card'. As mentioned above do not delete any caches.

Reboot and you are all set. ;)

Afrolex, sorry for the late reply, was travelling this Summer and just saw your message above.

You must unzip the ClockworkMod files, to the root directory of the SD card; then the Le Pan firmware updater tool (called by pressing the Vol-down and Power buttons simultaneously) will rercognize the files and load ClockWorkMod.

A zipped file would not work.

The CyanogenMod Beta install file should be kept zipped though, so it can be installed by CWM.

Afrolex

Aug 11, 2011
Weird, it would only work for me when the files were zipped. When I unzipped them it wouldn't boot into recovery.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
[ Mirror copy of my post in the CM7 Tutorial Thread - Awaiting for official Beta 6.1 file copy for public release ]

Just completed the CM7 Beta 6.1 installation, and updating/restoring apps on my tablet.

Will wait until I have a copy of the CM7 Beta file directly from cas_xp, then I will mirror it and provide step by step instructions. (I used a copy posted to dropbox by another user, but would prefer to get it direct from cas_xp, if I am going to share it, etc)

Some quick notes :

- you WILL need a good backup of your apps and user data; get Titanium Backup running, and make a full backup of apps+data before you start.

- the package as released is a 7Zip archive, containing 3 zip files you need. They MUST be extracted first, the .zip files should NOT be uncompressed - just open the 7Zip container, then extract all 3 .zips, and copy them to the SD card.

- cas_xp has instructions for the install :

[Update] Aug 20. 2012
This version change is big and it is not compatible with the previous Nandroid backup.
1) ODEXed. To save some space and performance improved.
2) Enable NAND userdata partition to save 220MB from MMC( data partition)
3) Haptic fixed for visual key.
4) Native build image from CM, so there is no customized install message shows up and no Google APP and framework included, you need to install Googleapp separately.
Install method:
BACKUP first!
1) In recovery, do factory reset
2) Install cm-7-xxxx-griffin.zip
3) Install update_griffin-core-sign.zip
4) Install gapps-gb-xxxx-signed.zip
5) Reboot.

...one of them being '"In recovery, do factory reset""". I did that from ClockWorkMod, the first of the 3 Cache Deletes as explained in the original post. DO all 3 cache deletes, as usually recommended.

- install these packages in the same order as cas listed. Reboot.

- you will be greeted by the Android setup screens; enter your account name and password, then wait until it realizes you don't have 3G Data access. It will eventually offer you to enable wifi, and once that's done, you can proceed to using the tablet.

- for me, Google Play did not restore the apps I had, so this is where your Titanium Backup is a life saver. Install TiBa from Play, and then you can do a selective restore, only the MISSING apps. Don't restore system apps, like the Android components, as we just installed a newer compile; restore only user apps and their data.

Other than that, all things should work smoothly, IF you followed the instructions and used the right steps.

Good luck! :)

belam

Apr 12, 2011
I flashed the cm 7 beta and stop, had to reset twice before it loaded but did not load the whole program. I reset again because it was in a loop and still is. Cannot get back to original, its stuck in this loop with the logo. Any suggestions on how to fix it. Got it going.

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Sorry, Belam, I missed your message above - just found it now, and the end of it seems to indicate you are OK.

Cheers, hope things work out.

Grew

Sep 21, 2013
I want to thank you a million times for this tutorial. It was very well written and had me up and running successfully in no time. I have been wondering how to update the OS on my LePan TC970 and now it's perfectly upgraded thanks to your tutorial. Many, many thanks. Brilliant piece of tutelage!

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
I want to thank you a million times for this tutorial. It was very well written and had me up and running successfully in no time. I have been wondering how to update the OS on my LePan TC970 and now it's perfectly upgraded thanks to your tutorial. Many, many thanks. Brilliant piece of tutelage!
Hi, Grew, thank you for your nice comment - much appreciated! :)

I haven't logged in to this site in a while, but such a nice post deserved a reply.

Glad you enjoyed the tutorial, I wrote it with information I had to discover myself, in order to install on my own tablet. I think it's a good one too, but then I am the author. :p

Enjoy your new CyanogenMod tablet. ;)

mfdgns

Dec 11, 2013
I completed the instructions to update my Le Pan TC 970. Everything worked great, but now the power button doesn't work. Downloaded these files:

Installed ClockWorkMod_for_CM7_griffin.zip, and then applied update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-griffin-Beta5-sign.zip

I followed your instructions, and it boots up. YouTube works, browser works, Play Store, and etc. but the power button doesn't work. Am I missing a setup, or setting?

Please Advise, Thanks again for your help.