[Tutorial] CyanogenMod 7 Gingerbread - step by step installation Guide

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
cmlogo.png

I had a request here, when I started the CM7 for Le Pan TC970 Beta release thread, for a step-by-step install guide for newer users.

Sure, I did it as a thread reply, and it could be useful to other people, so why not post it a more detailed, full thread version too? Here it is. Will add more details, images, etc later. You can always visit CyanogenMod.com for general info on the software, but you will need a custom version, made for the Le Pan TC970 - see below for instructions and all the files you need.

--------------------------------------------------------

clockworkmodlita.jpg

To install the CM7 Beta release of Gingerbread, you would need to start by learning a bit about the ClockWorkMod tool.

It's what is used to load and write the files to your tablet's internal memory.

- You would need to use a version of ClockWorkMod (CWM for short) made for the Le Pan 1 tablets, you can get it from this link (CWM port to TC970 done by chinabull - thank you. This is the same version as posted by cas_xp on XDA forum).

Download the file from the link above, then unzip it to the Root directory of your SD card. (that's the top level directory, similar to 'C:\' in your computer's hard disk)

- While we are in preparation mode, you could go on and download the CM7 Beta file - it needs to be in your SD card for the install as well. The Beta0 version filename is 'update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-griffin-sign.zip', this will change a bit as the project advances.

Currently, the latest version is the Beta 5 release - Download it here. Copy the file (do NOT unzip it) to the Root directory of your SD card as well.

- Once you have the proper CWM in your SD card, you need to boot into firmware flashing mode. This is done by pressing the Volume Down button (with the tablet off), holding it down, then pressing and holding the Power button as well.

- Hold both down for maybe 10 seconds or so(keep the buttons down even after the static 'Le Pan' logo image loads); if you got it right, you will be in a special loader, a boot option to load firmware. It should load the CWM directly into memory, you will see a menu.

Here's a photo of the CWM main menu in a phone screen; the menu items will be identical on your tablet:

clockworkmodmenu.jpg

From the top down, the options are :
  • Reboot
  • Apply Update from SD card (patches for an existing system)
  • Wipe Data / Factory Reset
  • Wipe Cache partition
  • Install Zip from SD card
  • Backup and Restore
  • Mounts and Storage
  • Advanced
  • Power off
** There's a quirky behaviour in the CWM programme at first - you need to do a little moving around to get the menus to work properly. This is a note from chinabull's CMW for the Le Pan release post :

- Keys, Volume -/+ to navigate the menu, Power key to select.

The power key doesn't work right after boot. You would have to first scroll down the cursor to the bottom and you will see a message saying "Back menu button enabled". Then it works.

Until you see the 'Back menu button enabled' message, things will not work as they should. Use Volume Up, until it scrolls off the top and enables that; or instead, the volume Down key, until the enabled message appears. It usually takes 3 trips around the menu to enable it.

It shows at the bottom of the screen, you can't miss it.

- From here, you could create a full backup of your existing system, if you want to be able to go back to Froyo/Android 2.2 version. It's probably a good idea, as this is work in progress, not finished yet.

Use the Backup and Restore menu item, a new screen will come up, select Backup to create a NANDroid backup of your current system.

This could take 5, 10, 15 minutes depending on how much data you have on your system; all of it will be copied to the SD card. Be patient. Also, your card needs to have enough space to store all these files.

- Once your backup is complete, it's important to clear some of the data in the caches in your tablet. There are 3 steps to do this properly, don't skip this or you could have problems later.
  • step 1: from the main CWM menu, select the 'Wipe Data/Factory Reset' option. Do it, nothing to worry here.
  • step 2: from the Main menu, select 'Wipe Cache Partition', do that as well.
  • step 3: From the Main menu once again, select 'Advanced', then 'Wipe Dalvik Cache'.
btngetcyanogen.png

- Finally, it's time to install CyanogenMod 7. :)

From the main CWM menu, select 'Install Zip from SD card'. Then 'choose zip from sdcard', and navigate to the proper file, select the one you copied to the SD card earlier.

- After you finish writing it, use the 'Reboot' option on CWM main menu.

And your tablet will restart in Gingerbread, new-user mode, you need to enter an email, time zone, etc.

It's a complicated process for someone who is new to it, but there's documentation, guides, you can learn how to do it if you want to.

A couple months ago, I had no idea how this could be done.

Ask questions if you need, this thread is here for you. Good luck!

EDIT : Feb 25 - Updated CM7 download link to Beta 3 version.

EDIT : Mar 3 - replaced broken CWM download link with Mirror.

EDIT : Mar 19 - Updated CM7 download link updated to Beta 4 version.

EDIT : Apr 17 - Updated CM7 download link updated to Beta 5 version.

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Quick and dirty update - I just answered a question from a user who was having a problem with CMW not working properly.

Will have to add this - here's my reply to him :

-----------------------------------------------------------

pmalavolti said:
i just went step by step. when i got to "choose zip from sdcard', and navigate to the proper file" i got nothing but a top hat with circle arrow.
Oops - I know what's happening, been there, done that. :)

There's a quirky behaviour on the CWM programme at first - you need to do a little moving around to get the menus to work properly.

This is a note from chinabull's CMW for the Le Pan release post :

- Keys, Volume -/+ to navigate the menu, Power key to select. The power key doesn't work right after boot. You would have to first scroll down the cursor to the bottom and you will see a message saying "Back menu button enabled". Then it works.

Until you see that 'Back menu button enabled', things will not work as they should.

Try using volume down, until it scrolls off the top and enables that; or also, the volume down key, until the enabled message appears.

It shows at the bottom of the screen, you can't miss it. I got to take some screenshots of CMW and that message; would be good to add to guide.

Good luck!! :)

nomade

Feb 22, 2012
I'm trying to navigate the CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7 menu on my Le PAN 970 and having problem selecting a menu entry.
I was successful using the volume +/- key to go up/down but when I try to select an item it just bring me that hat with arrow. I am using the power button to select as I did not see any other way.

What im I doing wrong here?

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
I'm trying to navigate the CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7 menu on my Le PAN 970 and having problem selecting a menu entry.
I was successful using the volume +/- key to go up/down but when I try to select an item it just bring me that hat with arrow. I am using the power button to select as I did not see any other way.

What im I doing wrong here?

I wasn't around last night (pretty intensive Beta testing and debugging session going), so never saw your post until now. Glad you found the solution, nomade - it's a quirk on this version of CWM for the Le Pan.

If you scroll down all the way, and keep going down, it will jump back to the top line; keep doing it, possibly 3 times around the whole menu, until it shows a new line at the BOTTOM of the CWM screen :

"Back button Enabled."

Then you are Golden. ;)

Got to add this to the tutorial post. Adds to ToDo List...

edit - this is described in detail in my post #2 on this thread above (^--- Points up...)

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Edited Original Post last night, adding the notes about Quirky Behaviour on CWM.

Hope that helps, that guide looks pretty good to me. Feedback or questions are welcome. ;)

luv2blze

Feb 11, 2012
I've tried every way to get this done for the last few days and I keep getting this error: E:Error in sdcard/update-griffin-Beta3-sign.zip (status 7). I tried to use different SD cards, downloaded from different mirrors and I'm stuck!! Am I seriously stuck with Froyo for good? Someone please help!!! Also, NONE of the versions have worked for me. I'm not getting the Firmware is Bad error at all. I only get it if no SD card is in. I'm so frustrated!!

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
luv2blze,

Hang in there - from the post you made at the release thread at LPL, it seems your problem is the old version of ClockWorkMod you used.

Just edited the OP above - use this newer version - DL Link - the older, upside down screen CWM does not work for flashing firmware.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
:)

Glad it worked. :)

Been looking all over the forums for any old links, you definitely need the newer ClockWorkMod.

luv2blze

Feb 11, 2012
I have some questions now. I can't install Google Currents. Also it seems that gmail isn't working. Keeps saying that it's waiting for sync