Good retail MicroSD card for rooting?

jwhite

Jan 10, 2011
Rooting instructions suggest using a class 6 microSD card for rooting. Is there a good retail source? Frys.com doesn't list the class. Bestbuy.com doesn't list the class (well, the only one listed is class 2).

Any suggestions?

illdill

Jan 8, 2011
Frys.com actually does list Class on some, here is a 16 GB Class 10, was 27.99 when I bought went up to 32, FRYS.com | 16GB MICRO SD C10

Class 10 is the best.

Target also carries a Class 6 8 GB with a USB microSD adapter for over 30 dollars.

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
Rooting instructions suggest using a class 6 microSD card for rooting. ...Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I understand why they would recommend that. I used random class 4 card I sitting around... The class refers to write speed ... and is generally more important when using for things like writing video information in a camera/camcorder ... not for an ebook reader to read from ??

That being said ... amazon, newegg both can be searched for cards based on class rating.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
+1 What ^ he said. Class 2 is fine. Don't by the hype on faster cards, not necessary for an eReader.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Even though it might not matter what class you get for an ereader/Android tablet it doesn't hurt to get a faster one if you might use it in other devices such as a camera. I personally got this one just for rooting and using in the Nook Color, but thanks to the adapter it can go in my cameras too.

Amazon.com: Patriot Signature 4 GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Flash Memory Card PSF4GMCSDHC10: Electronics
That's a good point. Wish I'd thought of that. Scratch what I said above. Speed matters. And size. ;)

-Matt

jwhite

Jan 10, 2011
I really did mean retail, not mail-order as I was looking to do it ... maybe tonight, but thanks for the Amazon link anyway. That's not a bad deal. My thinking was that I'd get an inexpensive lower capacity card for rooting. If I need something for some other purpose, I'll get one for that purpose.

All the retail 2GB cards are around $10, which doesn't hurt the pocketbook. I'll try one and report back.

jwhite

Jan 10, 2011
I really did mean retail, not mail-order as I was looking to do it ... maybe tonight, but thanks for the Amazon link anyway. That's not a bad deal. My thinking was that I'd get an inexpensive lower capacity card for rooting. If I need something for some other purpose, I'll get one for that purpose.

All the retail 2GB cards are around $10, which doesn't hurt the pocketbook. I'll try one and report back.

$10 PNY 2GB card worked fine.

I bought and used the:
P-SDU2GB-EF/BG

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
All are good, although I'd stay with class 2 to 6. Some people have had issues with the higher classes in their mobile devices.

@OP
I'd get any 1-2 GB microSD card for rooting purposes.

IAC

Jan 3, 2011
Dell had a deal on a Kingston Class 4 4GB for $7 a couple days back... not sure if it's still on (here in Canada). I bought one, just as a backup. My main is a class 4 16GB... also Kingston.