Google Voice and Skype Working on Tab

MaxTcee

Oct 13, 2010
Here is a quick how to get Skype and Google Voice working on the Tab... This gives unlimited calling out and receiving calls via Skype VOIP..

I have been using it for a day now and it works great via wifi and 3G...

So here is what I did... I now have a working VOIP phone service via my T-Mobile Tab..

-- Get the hacked Skype App (allows 3G calling) MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
-- Get Google Voice from Market
-- Go to skype.com and setup an account
-- Order a Skype Internet Number (it's $30 for a year right now -- normally $60)
-- Add a Skype calling plan ( I went with $2.99 a month for unlimited calling)
-- Set Skype to display your Google Voice Number (Caller ID Settings)
-- Set Google Voice to forward all calls to your Skype number
-- Go into Google Voice App and set it up to use your Skype number for voicemail notifications.

It works and it works pretty darn well...

Pros:

--Incoming and outgoing voice capabilities
--Unlimited calling in the US and Canada for $2.99 a month
--With 3G data plan you always have phone functions to dial out and receive....

Cons:

--You will have 2 numbers. The one that came on your Tab that is used for SMS/MMS and a number for phone usage. No worries for me though as I give out the Google Voice number as my home number anyway...

--Price for this to work per year amounts to $66 ($30 for the Skype number and $36 for the unlimited plan) Not really a con if you consider this is the total cost for a year of unlimited cell (VOIP) calls from you Tab

Here is how it works...

When someone calls your Google Voice number it forwards it to the Skype number and the Tab rings...

When you call someone it displays your Google Voice number...

COOL....

jmed999

Nov 12, 2010
Nice! Would this work on the Verizon Tab? Can you use this for Video calls on Verizon?

Thanks! :cool:

MaxTcee

Oct 13, 2010
im sure you can
if someone with verizon wants to give it try and post results

sstevens805

Nov 16, 2010
So I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly but you can make and receive calls over 3g? About how much data does a phone call use? I have the T-Mo 5gb plan but i want to make sure that's enough. Sorry if these are dumb ???'s, I trying to switch from my iphone 3G and just picked up my tab Friday so I'm a little new.

sstevens805

Nov 16, 2010
How did you get around calling numbers that are not in your contact list? I just did this and if the number I'm trying to call is not in my skype contact list, it tells me I cannot call them, I have to create a contact list.

cloutman

Feb 6, 2011
Has anyone had success on a Verizon Galaxy Tab? I've heard you get "file too large" error message when trying to install the Skype.apk

Last edited:

barkway

Feb 13, 2011
Do we first have to uninstall the unhacked Skype app if we had downloaded it before we saw your post?

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
OK, why do you need the Skype number? Why can't you just use the SMS/MMS number to give to Google Voice (who is doing the heavy-lifting, anyway if I'm understanding your setup correctly)?

Are you using a bluetooth headset? How did you get it to work? My T-Mobile SGT has the bluetooth menu greyed out in settings, it's pissing me off, as Samsung advertises it has BT 3.0 capabilities.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
OK, why do you need the Skype number? Why can't you just use the SMS/MMS number to give to Google Voice (who is doing the heavy-lifting, anyway if I'm understanding your setup correctly)?

Are you using a bluetooth headset? How did you get it to work? My T-Mobile SGT has the bluetooth menu greyed out in settings, it's pissing me off, as Samsung advertises it has BT 3.0 capabilities.

Actually if you are replying to the OP, it's skype that's doing the heavy lifting (i.e. voice) over 3G. The SMS # can't be used for voice calls (carrier blocked).

Sent from my SPH-P100

tumbler1

Mar 7, 2011
Hi, MaxTcee, Thank you so much for your info. it's a greatest news for lots of us who don't want to carry two devices (SGT + cell phone). Please help, I downloaded the skype.apk file onto my desktop, then drag over to my SGT but I can't find it on my SGT. Would you please give a little more detail on how to install this "skype.apk" file to SGT. I already setup my skype account as you suggested $60/year for a online # + $2.99/month. All I'm waiting is to install this skype.apk file. Thanks for your help.