Hack my Proform Treadmill

adsbar

Sep 24, 2012
Hello,

I just got a new Proform Performance 1450 treadmill, which has a 10" android tablet integrated. It is android 2.2. I can get past the iFit overlay by holding down the Menu button during startup. This allows me to pull down the notification bar, which breaks the startup sequence and reveals the android home page. The tablet is in "Safe Mode" at that time. I can then use the web browser to download .apk's. I have downloaded z4root, Amazon app store, etc. I can then use Astro (included!) to install, and install seems to go fine. However, the "open" button is greyed out.

Proform has used Hannspree tablets in the past, but I am not sure if this is one of them.

After install, none of the apps are visible in the app drawer. In addition, navigating to the apk in Astro and clicking on "launch" fails. I have been unable to run any of the apps, and cannot root my device.

My main goal is to be able to put Netflix on the tablet, and watch movies while jogging.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

When in safe mode, the tablet only allows you to use in built apps, nothing that was installed after the fact. I am not sure how, but you will have to modify the boot so it boots to Android (not safe mode) and not into iFit.

Then you should be able to use the apps you install.

adsbar

Sep 24, 2012
Already, progress! So I just have to stop the iFit app from loading. Unfortunately, I can't root, so I can't use Titanium Backup to freeze the app. I don't want to uninstall it, because my wife will want the "stock experience", and doesn't want to known about any "enhancements". Does Astro have a "freeze" option? I haven't been able to fine one. It also came with Spare Parts installed, but I can't find any function that helps me. Once a system app is installed, is the apk lying around somewhere that I can reinstall it after I get my other apps on?

adsbar

Sep 24, 2012
Welcome to the forum!

When in safe mode, the tablet only allows you to use in built apps, nothing that was installed after the fact. I am not sure how, but you will have to modify the boot so it boots to Android (not safe mode) and not into iFit.

Then you should be able to use the apps you install.

It's a chicken and egg (Catch-22) kind of problem: If I could freeze the iFit app, I can allow the tablet to boot normally, install and use apps. But I can't freeze the iFit app, because I can't install anything either in safe mode or with iFit running.

Is there any file I can rename with Astro (preinstalled) that will temporarily halt the normal bootup cycle? Once I get the stuff I want installed, I can just rename it back to the original...

TIA,
Alan

steveats

Feb 26, 2013
Let me know if you get the Proform 1450 to perform the way you want to. I have been digging for a while trying to use other applications on it. It is locked down pretty tight.