[HELP] Android OS HOW-TO?

Draugr

Aug 15, 2010
Hello.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for these questions, but since I have a Gentouch, I figured I'd ask here.

My questions are on how to do certain thigns in Android.

1. When downloading apps from Google Market or other markets is there a way to copy the install files to your PC for backup purposes? From what I've seen, the market first downloads the app then you install it. Is there a specific folder that the install files are located in and can the install files be copied over to my PC for backup purposes?

2. regarding sd-cards. How can I....
A) Tell if a program was installed on the SD Card or the internal RAM on the Gentouch?
B) Is there a way to force apps to install on the SD card instead of in the internal system RAM?

3. Regarding the Gentouch, but also other Android Tablets. Is it possible to connect a USB game pad or joystick and use the joystick to play video games and such, instead of the built in app controls?

I guess that is all for now. If I have or think of any other questions, I'll post them here.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help answer these questions.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
If you have microSDHC which is highly recommended to get. Everything you do downloads or that otherwise it goes into nand folder on the internal storage 2GB.
Some of the apps use the mircoSDHC for data and downloads like e-readers apps an etc.
If you want to delete icons just press and hold on them on the desktop and the trash can will appear. Downloaded apps same except for you get a pull down menu of commands. Delete is there.
Remember this is a touch screen device PC. Either you use your finger or the stylus pen.

Last edited:

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
1) easiest way i know to make back ups of apps for archive is.. load Astro file manager.. it's an app on the android market and you can find several diff copies online.. it has a native tool for backing up Apps to the sd card...after you install it and open it hit the menu button then select "tools" then "aplication manager/backup", once you've done the back up the apps are backed up to a directorty called "backups" and then "apps" subdirectory... you can then use whatever method you're comfy with to get them to your pc... with these files you can reload apps to your device.. but they'll be like you never used them all user data will be lost.. if you want to back up wiuth user data.. i suggest using Titanium Backup that's on the android market.. it backs up apps and data, you HAVE to have root to use it though..

2)A: all apps are installed on the main mem partition natively...
B: yes you can but it's a pain and dangerous..lol... you have plenty of mem and storage space on this thing.... but if you're insistent and like to live on the edge...lol... i'd say this is a good place as any to start.... modified: Installing & Run application on sdcard - xda-developers .... i suggest you do lots of research... before even beginning

3) I know there are some people working on usb hosting for the gentouch http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...entouch-usb-host-working-several-devices.html ... not sure if they have game pads working as of yet.... they're actually using another firmware from another similar device... so again... go at your own risk...lol

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Swould333 you got Astro to work on the Gentouch78? I kept on getting errors. Ol Manager is much better or ES Manager I use that more though.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
YEAH... Loaded it off my back up i had on my Moto Droid that i had created using Astro file manager.. once i got it on the sd it installed like any other app... no problems...

i've just stuck with it out of familiarairty and what all it can do, built in zip/unzip capabilities, app back up, book mark directories for easier nav through directories, make home screen shortcuts straight to commonly used directories and much, much more... you can even download an SMB modual off the market that allows for network transfers from windows over wifi.. to me it does alot of things you'd have to have different apps for....

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
YEAH... Loaded it off my back up i had on my Moto Droid that i had created using Astro file manager.. once i got it on the sd it installed like any other app... no problems...

i've just stuck with it out of familiarairty and what all it can do, built in zip/unzip capabilities, app back up, book mark directories for easier nav through directories, make home screen shortcuts straight to commonly used directories and much, much more... you can even download an SMB modual off the market that allows for network transfers from windows over wifi.. to me it does alot of things you'd have to have different apps for....

There is PKManager, AuGen gave us a app to open zips though called AndExplorer but the ES Manager with AndExplorer works fine. I use SDK Tools to get into the Gentouch78 and install and remove stuff if I need. I guess whatever works for you it a go! :)

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
YEAH.. I RECON SO..

I guess you can say I'm a student of the "simpler is better" philosophy.. lol