CW Recovery v6.0.1.1 for Coby 7042, 8042

mau_331

Oct 27, 2012
Hi all, a newbie in this forum.
I bought the MID8042-4 this Sept, & recently found this forum, I was trying to install Gapps for the usual reasons..
Followed the installation of cw recovery mod from the sticky post, got rooted nicely and all, then tried to install CM9 using the install from zip option of the recovery menu, selected CM_8042.zip downloaded from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/46340-cm9-coby-8042-a.html & it upgraded w/o a hitch as far as the progress indicators showed.
Now the bummer, upon reboot, no touch screen functionality at all, I can see all graphics, it responds to the buttons but none in the touchscreen.
Before the ROM update, I did make a dump of the system using the root_restore.bat , & after the failed ROM update, I tried to recover using the .img files generated (I was surprised that there was NO system.tgz generated tho, only the boot.img, bootloader.img, recovery.img). So I'm stuck with a non-touch responsive tablet (essentially bricked too).
Help!! How do i restore this tablet's touchpad?
Thanks!

jertay13

Nov 7, 2012
Sorry - total newbie to Android etc. - I 'm just using ADB via Win7 and it seems to work OK - can shell in to my device etc. - I hope it's Ok but I was just going to use that (I have Ubuntu running in VMWare Player but it's brutally slow for some reason - older versions worked fine), nevertheless, I receieve the following (the first two files copied fine):

C:\DATA\utils\CobyADB> adb push data\reboot-recovery /system/bin/reboot-recovery
failed to copy 'data\reboot-recovery' to '/system/bin/reboot-recovery': Read-only file system

I shell into the Coby and permissions are as follows:
shell@android:/system $ ls -la
ls -la
drwxr-xr-x root root 2012-03-31 21:15 app
drwxr-xr-x root shell 2012-03-31 21:15 bin
-rw-r--r-- root root 1940 2012-03-31 21:15 build.prop

...I can't chmod them, I'm sure someone can enlighten me as to what I'm missing? Sorry for the ignorance...

Thanks!

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
nicome100 said:
sir?? can u help me with adb?? the adb says no device found.. plz elp..

Sorry I don't provide support for windows.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
But I do. Did you try installing the drivers for ADB? There is a link in the sticky posts at the top of Generation 3 Development which explains more. After that, make sure you have USB Debugging enabled on the tablet (Settings>Developer Options, check "USB Debugging" to enable). Then plug the tablet to the computer.

Last edited:

nicome100

Nov 14, 2012
yep.. thnx a lot.. i got a adb woking now.. can teach me how to install that.. my tab is stuck on android logo..

nicome100

Nov 14, 2012
need help to install.. Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600](C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\E3s>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
Unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh: Operation not permitted
10|shell@android:/ $ chmod 755 /system/bin/reboot-recovery
chmod 755 /system/bin/reboot-recovery
Unable to chmod /system/bin/reboot-recovery: Read-only file system
10|shell@android:/ $

Mrdaviso

Mar 29, 2011
Is it just me or does this not backup .android_secure ? Neither version of cwm has done so on either of my 7042

If not has someone fixed this yet?

Sent from my HTC GLACIER using Xparent Blue 2
My Race Videos

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
All CWM recoveries I've used ignore .android-secure since it's normally stored on an MicroSD. Given what actually gets put in .android-secure - parts of apps you've downloaded - the worst case scenario is that you have to install those apps again.

Last edited:

Mrdaviso

Mar 29, 2011
All CWM recoveries I've used ignore .android-secure since it's normally stored on an MicroSD. Given what actually gets put in .android-secure - parts of apps you've downloaded - the worst case scenario is that you have to install those apps again.

When reinstalling those apps I get reboots due to data not being wiped like it should be. I guess the only option would be the vold and xml tweaks? I'm afraid of any superwipe scripts at this point, ill let someone else try it first.... Wish it worked right.

My Race Videos

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
My point is that even my Dell Streak ignores .android-secure. The issues you're having however are ones I've not encountered so I can't provide much in the way of assistance.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
When reinstalling those apps I get reboots due to data not being wiped like it should be. I guess the only option would be the vold and xml tweaks? I'm afraid of any superwipe scripts at this point, ill let someone else try it first.... Wish it worked right.

My Race Videos

Backing up .android-secure causes nothing but problems, that's why it's disabled up stream, one can enable it, wont be me though. if I were you I would backup my sdcard to computer then format the sdcard then push the backup back on sdcard. Most sdcards are formatted as fat32 which is a horribly unstable filesystem. I recommend user backup their data to their pc and format their sdcard every quarter, ie 4 times a years

1Nate321

Dec 28, 2012
I have installed this on my Coby MID8024 but when I try to boot into it doesn't show up. Only android recovery comes up. Please help. I have hit vol+, vol-, and power but android recovery only comes up.

Last edited: