Help deciding which tablet to buy as a Christmas gift

watchmyback

Dec 6, 2011
Hello everyone!

I would like to thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and reply to this post! I am trying to figure out which tablet I should buy for my 8 year old niece as a Christmas gift. She said that she wanted an "iPad 2" but I am not prepared to spend that kind of money, plus we all know that Android is a far superior operating system!

I have been researching tables and it seems that the more I look the more confused and farther from making a decision I get! Does anyone else ever have that problem? My price range is around $200 but I think I would spend $250 on a tablet if it made the difference between getting something that would be a great fit.

I am thinking that she would enjoy a 10 inch screen as that would be more comparable to the iPad. I also think she would enjoy a camera feature as well.

There is someone selling an HP Touchpad 16 GB new, sealed in the box for $200 in my area. I know this is WebOS and not Android but I was considering this as a possible purchase. I have also looked at the Coby Kyros 10.1 MID1024-4G.

I am really at a loss here, if anyone could help me out that would be great. If I am going to spend on the money on it I want to make sure I get her something good and that she will enjoy! I have to be the cool uncle after all!! :cool:

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
That person selling the Touchpad is trying to make a profit, considering that they were selling for $99 when HP closed them out. :)

WebOS is also pretty much dead, although there has been developers working on porting Android over to the Touchpad.

If you can find a Samsung Galaxy tab (check around since I have seen some online retailers selling refurbished models for a little bit more than your price range), your niece probably won't notice the difference since it looks almost identical to the iPad.

watchmyback

Dec 6, 2011

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi watchmyback,

As you can see from my signature, I am getting the MID1125 for my family, but the MID7127 was the winner in the 7" tablet size. I really think the Coby MID1125 will work nicely for your needs. That's the one I am sure will make hubby thrilled with it's 10" capactive screen.

Amazon.com: Coby Kyros 10.1-Inch Android 2.3 4 GB Internet Tablet with Capacitive Touchscreen - MID1125-4G (Black): Computers & Accessories

Amazon has it for about ($211) 27 bucks less then walmart, no tax and free shipping, so if you're thinking about the MID1125, you might do well to go there, or they have it with J&R for about $208 plus shipping.

TabletNewb

Dec 4, 2011
The Vizio 8" tablet has been getting pretty good reviews, and it can be purchased for about $189.00. I think Vizio has tweaked the operating system a little bit to make it more easy to use, which would be good for an 8 year old. If I remember right, there is a Menu button on the tablet that you can use at any time to get extra options.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Do you have a link to it for around that price TabletNewb? Thanks for posting and welcome to the board! :D

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
That's about what I thought it was going for. Thanks for the links though! With Amazon prices can vary day to day so it pays to wait for a better price I've found. ;)

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
If you can see your way clear, I would try and grab an Asus Transformer on sale. Once the Transformer Prime hits the market, you will be able to pickup a Transformer on sale for 299 or less, if you catch it on sale. That would be the best value with a good reliable device, that will have good continuing support. It will get the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade as well as having the option of a keyboard dock.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
You bring up very good points, but as the OP's price mentioned was around $100 I am not sure she wanted to spend that much, though I must say the pricing is dropping on higher end tablets if the news article just posted tonight is any indication of what's to come, it's definitely worth it to be patient. :)

watchmyback

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks Pamster, I think I am going to go for that Coby MID1125. Do you really think the price will drop soon? I don't want to wait too long because of the holiday shipping delays! ;)

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hello everyone!

I would like to thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and reply to this post! I am trying to figure out which tablet I should buy for my 8 year old niece as a Christmas gift. She said that she wanted an "iPad 2" but I am not prepared to spend that kind of money, plus we all know that Android is a far superior operating system!

I have been researching tables and it seems that the more I look the more confused and farther from making a decision I get! Does anyone else ever have that problem? My price range is around $200 but I think I would spend $250 on a tablet if it made the difference between getting something that would be a great fit.

I am thinking that she would enjoy a 10 inch screen as that would be more comparable to the iPad. I also think she would enjoy a camera feature as well.

There is someone selling an HP Touchpad 16 GB new, sealed in the box for $200 in my area. I know this is WebOS and not Android but I was considering this as a possible purchase. I have also looked at the Coby Kyros 10.1 MID1024-4G.

I am really at a loss here, if anyone could help me out that would be great. If I am going to spend on the money on it I want to make sure I get her something good and that she will enjoy! I have to be the cool uncle after all!! :cool:
Hi watchmyback, :) maybe you can have a look at our: Android Tablet PC.
and for a 10" tablet PC under $250, i think you should have a look at this: Zenithink C91,it's for $224.9 with shipping in our site, you can check the link for more detailed information. hope it's what you want, welcome!:eek:

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Not sure, it dropped about $28 bucks this week and you can get now at the amazon price of $211 no tax with free shipping, so if you need it before Christmas (and I think you said you did) I'd snag it now. They might not have it in a few days, I don't know. I would not be surprised to see it drop some more for sure after Christmas. That's the drop I am anxious for. I would love to see it get down to $180 but I think we're gonna snag one when it's just under $200. Good luck deciding on what you want to do, I hope it makes your niece happy. I would set it up for her before you wrap it though, make sure you test it and make sure it's NOT defective, as I am not sure how good Coby's quality control is, I've seen people talking about defective units, so be prepared if that happens. I hope it doesn't, but you're better off safe then sorry. :D

watchmyback

Dec 6, 2011
Hi Pamster, I went ahead and ordered the MID1125 ($199 on Amazon from J&R). Can you suggest a case for this, or maybe invsible shield is the way to go? I want to give at least some kind of buffer to add to the life of it with an 8 year old!

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I am still looking in to those items myself watchmyback, I hope it works out well for you! Do you want a keyboard case or like a neoprene sleeve? Or did you need a hard case? As for invisible shields, I saw one at big Lots for $7 I nearly bought, it was a 10" iPad one but I am sure it would have worked. You definitely want a invisible shield. Maybe someone else will have a link to something. :D