Help!!! I think I have bricked my NookColor

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I've read all the threads that say it's virtually "impossible" to truly brick my NC, but I think I've done it. It was running Froyo from SD, overclocked to 1.1 GHz and everything was going great. All of the sudden it locked up and now it's on a hopeless boot loop. It won't boot off the SD card or internal memory. When booting internal, it never gets past the "Touch the Future" screen before starting over. I've burned several CWR cards and it starts "loading" then reboots. It restarts so quickly I can't interrupt it to get the boot count to 8. I also cannot connect via ADB or SSH using a nooter disk. Did I just learn a $250 lesson? After six hours fighting with it, I give up for tonight...

Yes I believe Sue is correct. Here is the thread I think you need http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html. Please let us know if this works or not.

Also did you try powering off, removing sdcard and then plugging into charger and turning on, then press "n" and power button?

Even though you are running Froyo off your sdcard, things can still get messed internally. I do not recommend Froyo until we get a more stable version of the flashable clockwork rom version, or an autonooter version for froyo.

kelch3

Feb 8, 2011
Yes I believe Sue is correct. Here is the thread I think you need http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html. Please let us know if this works or not.

Also did you try powering off, removing sdcard and then plugging into charger and turning on, then press "n" and power button?

Even though you are running Froyo off your sdcard, things can still get messed internally. I do not recommend Froyo until we get a more stable version of the flashable clockwork rom version, or an autonooter version for froyo.

Thanks for the suggestions. Just tried it again incorporating Sue's suggestion of reformating the card. Still no luck. When booting from the card, it shows the two skull heads and says "Loading," then reboots. It does this over and over. It does the same thing when booting from internal memory. I'm starting to think there's a hardware problem, perhaps brought on by the overclocking? Bummer.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I did try the power and "n" button and it had no effect. Next I may try the frisbee and skeet shoot trick! :)

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I do not think the overclocking messed anything up, unless you remember it getting physically extremely hot. I am not sure what is going on, you can try burning autonooter to a sdcard again and insert it and see if it reroots/reboots your device? Did you notice any other problems with device before this issues?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. Just tried it again incorporating Sue's suggestion of reformating the card. Still no luck. When booting from the card, it shows the two skull heads and says "Loading," then reboots. It does this over and over. It does the same thing when booting from internal memory. I'm starting to think there's a hardware problem, perhaps brought on by the overclocking? Bummer.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I did try the power and "n" button and it had no effect. Next I may try the frisbee and skeet shoot trick! :)

Did you not only reformat sdcard but burn the return-to-stock image to it and try that?

kelch3

Feb 8, 2011
Did you not only reformat sdcard but burn the return-to-stock image to it and try that?

Yep, I did that. I can't get to the point in CWR to restore the image because it just keeps rebooting. It didn't get hot and was acting perfectly normal before it died. I was choosing the launcher in Softkeys (launcher Pro) when it froze. After I held the power button to turn it off, it started the boot loop routine.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yep, I did that. I can't get to the point in CWR to restore the image because it just keeps rebooting. It didn't get hot and was acting perfectly normal before it died. I was choosing the launcher in Softkeys (launcher Pro) when it froze. After I held the power button to turn it off, it started the boot loop routine.

If it boots, it's not bricked. Your NC is just hosed quite a bit. That froyo 2.2 off sd is just way too buggy for most people to be running at this time. Too many bad stories going around.

See here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html, fix your NC, start over and go from there.

kelch3

Feb 8, 2011
What are you using to reformat your sd card?

Sue

I only did a regular Windows FAT32 format, but really I guess Win32DiskImager reformats it anyway when the recovery image is burned. I don't think it's a card issue since I've tried 2 different cards and it behaves the same whether booting from card or internal.. opening screen for about 5 seconds, then reboot, repeat. I'm really thinking there must be a hardware problem that's messing up the boot process or somehow the bootloader got hosed (internal memory had CWR flashed on it). Thanks for the suggestions.