Help!!! I think I have bricked my NookColor

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I made the following post in another thread. I would still stay away from froyo though and go with an autonooter method. You can load a froyo rom later once you get clockwork installed on your 2.1 autonootered device.

I am not sure if this helps, but if trying to root with a Mac you need this bit of info. This was provide to me by thel8elvis

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by thel8elvis
Put the downloaded .img on the desktop. Open terminal. type (no quotes) "cd Desktop"
Now when you type in the dd comand it should work. The problem was that the OS did not know where to 'find' the input file (your downloaded.img). Since it is on the desktop, and your terminal is now working from the desktop (cd Desktop) it should now work.

rodalcaraz827

Feb 2, 2011
Ok, I'm back up and running. I was finally able to boot into CWR from sd card. Then i formatted system and data. Then I flashed update.zip to bring me back to 1.0.1. I'm so happy, I was able to figure this out. Thanks everyone for all your help, you got me going in the right direction. I'm really glad I joined this forum.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Going to leave us hanging? So what was the hang up? It may help others down the road, plus I'm generally interested in all problems and solutions concerning the Nook color.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablets Forum App

rodalcaraz827

Feb 2, 2011
Honestly, I have no idea what the problem was... basically what I did was used 2 sd cards. One had froyo 5.9 so that I could get froyo back up. Once that was up, I used an sd card with CWR and the 1.0.1 recovery.img I found on XDA.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Will that dd command used in the tutorial you posted near the top of this page work in a Win7 os?

Thanks,

Sue

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Oh, boy do I have issues! But I think I might recover. I wrote a big long message over on the Color owners thread so I won't repeat myself here. Basically - nothing worked - screwed up my sd card, nothing would boot up my NC - tried the 8 x thing, reformatting card - finally used SD Formatter to clean up my card and put Froyo back on. Then I was able to boot Froyo - however I couldn't put ROM Manager back on because I couldn't get ADB to work for me. Steve suggested I come over to this thread for some help and ideas and after reading the messages and going back to the Color Portal tutorial that you referenced on how to install ADB - I think I'm on my way back. Whoever wrote that tutorial for the Color portal did a magnificent job. I can't decide now if I should try to install CWR and go back to stock, or move some Google apps over to use with Froyo. My preference is to go back to stock, but I'm a little worried that I will mess things up again. Anyway, thanks for the good directions you give. Your tutorials are very clear and complete and I'm sure that many people appreciate how well you do that. I'll be back if I screw things up again.:p

Sue

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Its probably a good idea to go back to a autonootered nook for now instead of froyo. But its up to you. Let us know if you have problems. If your system gets screwed up u may need to wipe then restore a backup or factory restore and reroot.

sent from my rooted nook color

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
The reason I used Froyo was that it was bootable. Are the other "restore to stock" images bootable? (I sometimes convince myself that I know what I'm talking about, but I really don't!) :confused:

Sue

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
The reason I used Froyo was that it was bootable. Are the other "restore to stock" images bootable? (I sometimes convince myself that I know what I'm talking about, but I really don't!) :confused:

Sue

I am not sure if they are bootable.Sorry. Also I haven't use froyo on nook myself so I am not sure if clockwork will work for backing up either if u r booting from sdcard.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
We are glad to help! More stable Roms for NC should be coming soon, which may be based on froyo or gingerbread.

kelch3

Feb 8, 2011
I've read all the threads that say it's virtually "impossible" to truly brick my NC, but I think I've done it. It was running Froyo from SD, overclocked to 1.1 GHz and everything was going great. All of the sudden it locked up and now it's on a hopeless boot loop. It won't boot off the SD card or internal memory. When booting internal, it never gets past the "Touch the Future" screen before starting over. I've burned several CWR cards and it starts "loading" then reboots. It restarts so quickly I can't interrupt it to get the boot count to 8. I also cannot connect via ADB or SSH using a nooter disk. Did I just learn a $250 lesson? After six hours fighting with it, I give up for tonight...

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
At the risk of sounding like I know what I'm doing (I don't really), one way or another I have managed to completely brick (I thought) my NC. For me, getting my SD card formatted correctly was probably the biggest problem. I downloaded SDFormatter and used the "overwrite" option to format. (It takes a long time.)
Then I went to the "restore to 1.0.1" thread and followed the directions there. I took my newly formatted sd card and using WinImage I put the "bootable Clockwork_1gb" image on the sd card, and then dragged and dropped the "nook-complete-retore-1.0.1 zip" onto the sd card. Then I followed the directions on that thread from that point. It should boot to clockwork recovery and then you can go from there - if you get that far. I have done this more times than I can count because I kept getting stuck in CWR and in my attempts to get out of CWR I lost all communication with my NC. Dead screen, power button didn't work, and nothing I tried would boot it. If you've already tried all of this, I apologize for taking your time, but I do think that reformatting my sd card with sdformatter was the key for me getting the whole thing working again.

Sue