Help .... which tablet

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
I am wanting to get my daughter a tablet and I need some help. She's in college, and will graduate soon with a degree in English. She is planning to go to get her Masters, and I'd like to get her a tablet with the following capabilities...
1. Notes - So that she can take her Notes on it
2. Android Apps - Loading games or apps from the market, and the market already loaded, since she's not very computer savy
3. Possibly office already loaded

Thanks alot!!!!

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Hello Rhonda19:

A few questions for you....

#1 What price range are you looking at?
#2 Does the tablet need to be able to run flash? Recommended
#3 Does the tablet need to have BlueTooth and GPS neabled? Recommended

I also suggest that you check out this article that I wrote to help people purchase Android Tablets:

The features of Android Tablets – What to look for when purchasing
and
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...do-i-buy-what-do-i-buy-im-looking-thread.html
and lastly
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum.../1957-buying-tablet-some-things-remember.html

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Ok... Thank you for trying to help....

First, my budget.... 200 - 250 dollars

Secondly, I would like for her to be able to download games, files, videos, etc....
Third - I would like for her to be able to take notes using her tablet.

Thanks
Rhonda

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011

Secondly, I would like for her to be able to download games, files, videos, etc....

Thanks
Rhonda

Let me add something.... I have gotten myself so confused in doing online searches, reading articles, asking different ones about which one is better

If you had a daughter that is in college... she wants one that will download games, download her files, download videos, and one that she can take notes on, which one would you buy???

Thanks alot!!

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011

Thanks
Rhonda

Nookcolor. Upgrade the firmware to 1.1 and use Autonooter 3.0 to root it. Load a new launcher and your set.

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Nookcolor. Upgrade the firmware to 1.1 and use Autonooter 3.0 to root it. Load a new launcher and your set.

LOL!!!! I bought her a Nook Color for Christmas!! I also bought myself one after Christmas. I had read about " Rooting " them, but I am NOT computer knowledgable AT All!!! I was going to try mine, but she refused to " alter" hers, because she likes hers as strictly a reader!!
Have any easy ideas on how to root a nook color? I was also told you could still receive your magazine subscriptions automatically from B & N even if you alter, am I right?

Mar 8, 2011
Another idea - buy a second hand tablet. You'll get much higher spec for your money, and the old ones are still practically new.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Ronda19: EcargoOnline.com has a tablet that is currently selling at $218 - ref: Android 2.2 OS 512 RAM with Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 Processor Tablet PC M8003

eCargoOnline has been rated a Verified Vendor by the administration on this website. Which means they do not use deceptive selling tactics, their prices are good, and they have good communication with their customers.

This tablet runs Android 2.2, and since it has 512MB RAM it does run Flash. It comes with a Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 processor, and is able to play 3D games. There are quite a lot of "note" taking application that your daughter would be able to download on this tablet. This tablet is also 8", which is a nice size.

This tablet will play HD videos, view images, plays music... all that fun stuff.

Good luck in your search! :)

P.S As a further note... if you do purchase a tablet for your daughter make sure it's running ATLEAST Android 2.2, and has 512MB ram or greater. Not being able to run flash.. is a BIG downer....

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Ronda19: EcargoOnline.com has a tablet that is currently selling at $218 - ref: Android 2.2 OS 512 RAM with Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 Processor Tablet PC M8003

eCargoOnline has been rated a Verified Vendor by the administration on this website. Which means they do not use deceptive selling tactics, their prices are good, and they have good communication with their customers.

This tablet runs Android 2.2, and since it has 512MB RAM it does run Flash. It comes with a Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 processor, and is able to play 3D games. There are quite a lot of "note" taking application that your daughter would be able to download on this tablet. This tablet is also 8", which is a nice size.

This tablet will play HD videos, view images, plays music... all that fun stuff.

Good luck in your search! :)

P.S As a further note... if you do purchase a tablet for your daughter make sure it's running ATLEAST Android 2.2, and has 512MB ram or greater. Not being able to run flash.. is a BIG downer....

Thank you so much.... will look at that tomorrow!!!

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
No problem... we try to support verified vendors on here. Sometimes you can get lost out there with all the vendors, and unfortunately, quite a lot of them tend to be dishonest and offer horrible customer service.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
LOL!!!! I bought her a Nook Color for Christmas!! I also bought myself one after Christmas. I had read about " Rooting " them, but I am NOT computer knowledgable AT All!!! I was going to try mine, but she refused to " alter" hers, because she likes hers as strictly a reader!!
Have any easy ideas on how to root a nook color? I was also told you could still receive your magazine subscriptions automatically from B & N even if you alter, am I right?

Rooting literally takes 15 minutes once you have the files downloaded. The easiest way is like I said.

Update the NC to 1.1 from the B&N website.
Download and put Autonooter 3.0.0 on your sdcard.
Put the sdcard in your NC, connect the USB to your PC and it will boot and root on its own. No CWR, no issues.
Thats it! Start customizing and having a blast.

If you decide to do this I'll send you the link.

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
No problem... we try to support verified vendors on here. Sometimes you can get lost out there with all the vendors, and unfortunately, quite a lot of them tend to be dishonest and offer horrible customer service.

I just wanted to take the time to tell you all that helped me out, how much I appreciate it! I also posted this question on another site, and was told, that before I post, please read the entire forum for answers! I thought it was extremely rude!

Thanks for all the help!
Rhonda

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Rooting literally takes 15 minutes once you have the files downloaded. The easiest way is like I said.

Update the NC to 1.1 from the B&N website.
Download and put Autonooter 3.0.0 on your sdcard.
Put the sdcard in your NC, connect the USB to your PC and it will boot and root on its own. No CWR, no issues.
Thats it! Start customizing and having a blast.

If you decide to do this I'll send you the link.

If I do decide to root my nook, can I still receive my magazine subscriptions automatically? I found a link to load the Autonooter..and i did load it to an SD card, but after that I chickened out!! (LOL)

Please go ahead and send me the instructions. The instructions I had said I had to have a Gmail acct and You tube account and have them linked together?? I don't know what that has to do with anything?

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
If I do decide to root my nook, can I still receive my magazine subscriptions automatically? I found a link to load the Autonooter..and i did load it to an SD card, but after that I chickened out!! (LOL)

Please go ahead and send me the instructions. The instructions I had said I had to have a Gmail acct and You tube account and have them linked together?? I don't know what that has to do with anything?

Yes. The functionality of your NC will not change at all. You will be able to use your NC just as you do now, AND you can hit a button and have the full functionality of a Android Tablet.

This is the easiest way to root your NC. You don't have to worry about all of the CWR stuff. Auto-Nooter 3.0.0 (1.1 only) - xda-developers

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Yes. The functionality of your NC will not change at all. You will be able to use your NC just as you do now, AND you can hit a button and have the full functionality of a Android Tablet.

This is the easiest way to root your NC. You don't have to worry about all of the CWR stuff. Auto-Nooter 3.0.0 (1.1 only) - xda-developers

I just can't do this!... I guess I just don't have the intelligence to download it. I got to the part where you download the but I can't get the part where you write the program onto the sd card.