Help with rooting my Nook Color

miss_october

Feb 12, 2011
Hi there. I am a new nook color owner as of today and decided to give rooting a try. I am a noob to this as well. Im not even sure how to tell if the file installed from sd card. I put it in with power off, plugged into usb, and waited for it to boot. after it boots I put in password to unlock and then nothing seems to happen after that. It just says usb mode and does nothing. can anyone help me out ?

miss_october

Feb 12, 2011
i actually got it working after a few hours of ripping out my hair . haha

anyway i have a question about the market browsing. when i got in it will say something like 256 results for my search but i only see one page of them and there is no option to scroll or goto next page is there a fix for this or am i just not seeing something?

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
i actually got it working after a few hours of ripping out my hair . haha

anyway i have a question about the market browsing. when i got in it will say something like 256 results for my search but i only see one page of them and there is no option to scroll or goto next page is there a fix for this or am i just not seeing something?

I have the same issue... I chalked it up to "that's the way it is" but I'm sure someone must have a fix or a workaround.

miss_october

Feb 12, 2011
thanks. i keep looking through a couple forums but its been hard catching anyone willing to talk since i really dont know much about what im saying. however I am sooo happy to have the nc and rooted!

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
You have to turn the nook to Landscape and then you can scroll down.. if you leave it in Portait it only shows one page.. some quirk for some reason....

Have FUN... lots of great apps to explore !!!

Amazing!!!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The market on the NOOKcolor, even if it looks like the new market, will only show applications that conform to the Android API 7 API level (2.1 and below). Android 2.2 apps all conform to the Android API 8, so they won't show up on your nook unless you drop FroYo onto it.

Three things have been know to help with listing more apps:

1. Turn your nook sideway to landscape and more apps should show up.

2. Use Nook Color Tools:
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > (Filter by all) Market > Clear Cache (NOT DATA!)
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Google Services Framework > Clear Data > Force Close
Reboot

3. Install the new market apk: Use Root Explorer, changed the System/App folder to R/W and then you will be able to upgrade the current Market to the newer market apk. With the new marketplace all apps are showing without needing to turn the screen to landscape.
Vending (new).apk
Vending (original).apk

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
The market on the NOOKcolor, even if it looks like the new market, will only show applications that conform to the Android API 7 API level (2.1 and below). Android 2.2 apps all conform to the Android API 8, so they won't show up on your nook unless you drop FroYo onto it.

2. Use Nook Color Tools:
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > (Filter by all) Market > Clear Cache (NOT DATA!)
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Google Services Framework > Clear Data > Force Close
Reboot

3. Install the new market apk: Use Root Explorer, changed the System/App folder to R/W and then you will be able to upgrade the current Market to the newer market apk. With the new marketplace all apps are showing without needing to turn the screen to landscape.
Vending (new).apk
Vending (original).apk

Ahh...very nice information ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011

2. Use Nook Color Tools:
Reboot

Vending (new).apk
Vending (original).apk

Rico,
I was looking for this the other day, can you please post this as a new thread over in Technical so everyone can find "How to setup New Market (fixes portrait mode)"
Thanks

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011

2. Use Nook Color Tools:
Reboot

Vending (new).apk
Vending (original).apk

Epic win and many thanks my friend!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Another option for seeing full results is to access the Market using the AppBrain app. It has other benefits as well (which may or may not work depending on which B&N version you are running). It all depends on preference.

miss_october

Feb 12, 2011

2. Use Nook Color Tools:
Reboot

Vending (new).apk
Vending (original).apk

will this work on froyo or hc as well?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
will this work on froyo or hc as well?

Not really and a little hard to answer. For the 2.2 and 3.1 rom versions we are currently running on our NCs, they have an issue of certain apps not being found. Were the 2.1 issue is the number of apps being listed by the scroll either stopping or no scroll bar at all. For now I don't know what can be done to fix the issue on 2.2 and 3.0 ROM, since they are already running the new market version. A lot of us are just finding apks on the internet and sideloading them. My personal experience is I've found only need to find 3 apps of the 80+ apps I've installed to my 2.2 running NC.