Hey guys! Which tablet for 220 dollars max? if nothing, I'm buying nookcolor.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Picked up the Nook Color for my wife today. After I bought it, Best Buy emailed me a 10% coupon. Went in, and they adjusted the price by $27 ($25 + tax). I am very, very, very pleased with it. I don't for a moment confuse it with a tablet (until I root and install Froyo), but man it's smooth. Everything my wife will want...books, web, movies, magazines, games...works brilliantly. Beside my Motorola Droid I'd say it compares very favorably (especially in comparison to the Pandigital Novel I had for a while).

After playing with the Galaxy Tab, the Nook had me telling myself: MAN that's a lot of performance for $250. I was especially happy with the touchscreen. Easy to use, not too heavy to hold. Call me a satisfied customer.

-Matt

PS She has a Droid Eris, so GPS, 3G, and camera are not a concern.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
Picked up the Nook Color for my wife today. After I bought it, Best Buy emailed me a 10% coupon. Went in, and they adjusted the price by $27 ($25 + tax). I am very, very, very pleased with it. I don't for a moment confuse it with a tablet (until I root and install Froyo), but man it's smooth. Everything my wife will want...books, web, movies, magazines, games...works brilliantly. Beside my Motorola Droid I'd say it compares very favorably (especially in comparison to the Pandigital Novel I had for a while).

After playing with the Galaxy Tab, the Nook had me telling myself: MAN that's a lot of performance for $250. I was especially happy with the touchscreen. Easy to use, not too heavy to hold. Call me a satisfied customer.

-Matt

PS She has a Droid Eris, so GPS, 3G, and camera are not a concern.
Thanks! Makes me alot more easy about leaning towards the nook.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
One thing that bugs me tho...is that the 8 inch tablet is slower than a motorola droid. I have a motorola droid...it's not the fastest thing, and only is a 550mhz cpu. Why would that tablet be slower?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Not all processors are created equal. So someone’s 800mhz may be slower than another’s 550mhz and so on. Watch the videos they have on these sites; gives you a fairly good idea on how fast or snappy each tablet is.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks. I think I'm just going to go with the nook color. I can't find a capacitive, 800mhz, 512 ram, 1024x screen anywhere besides the nook color. If I get a shanzai tablet, or something similar, it will be lower specs than the nook color.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I hear you. I’m sort of leaning the nook color way myself, perhaps I can live without the gps. I still have the A81E on my list but the 512mb and capacitive screen is hard to overlook. The nook seems to have way more advantages to make up for the lack of gps. It’s a little over my budget but I did just receive an email for b&n with a 15% off coupon good till Dec. 12.

One question bamarammin87, are you good with running the nook stock or do you plan on rooting it and enjoying it’s full potential? You said earlier , you are not the “adventurous” type.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
Good points.

I think I will leave it as is until the warranty is out. Its getting froyo soon, it will get updates regularly. And in a month or two, they will start adding apps. But I will not be rooting it until after the warranty expires. I have a moto droid chock full of apps, I just want the tablet for reading and surfing the web while around the house. I am also rooting my droid soon. But I ain't gunna fool with rooting the nook. It will do what I want it to already, and it will only get better. I have a gps and a droid, so I'm covered on everything else myself. The nook is just such good hardware, will full US support, I can't convince myself to go with something else.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
The way I see it is, it already starts out with better specs, better quality, better hardware than anything else that price. It has better support from a trusted, American company. Say it doesn't do everything you want? Root it, and you're ahead of the rest at that price. Don't want to root? That's fine, b&n will keep updating with more apps and software fine-tuning.
1026 resolution capacitive screen, 800mhz cpu, 512mb ram, card reader, quality built, with better support than the others (because they're losing to kindle, you know they will put everything into this so they can whoop the kindle), and you just have to root it(which most guys would be doing on a chinese tab anyways) if you want android market, and you're good to go, with a better machine than the rest of the guys. Or leave it as is like I plan on doing til the warranty runs out.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
As an FYI:One of the reasons for slowness is screen refresh rate for the screen real estate. The size may be the same or nearly so 800x480 or 800x600. But the Phone is a 4inch screen vs Nook 7inch. The real difference is the number of pixels to process and populate on the screen. This can impact processing. The other thing that is not discussed, but is there. The Nook UI interface can be a bit of a hog. If you did take the step to root and Mod, you would be likely surprised at the performance jump.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
Good info. Thanks. Who knows...I may decide to root soon after I get it. But I'm going to try and wait. I was impressed with it in person, web browsing worked great. Seemed faster than my droid for some reason.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
Its funny...when you said that, first thing I thought was 'well it just needs a graphics card' lol. I need quite the machine to play new pc games maxed out on my 26" 1900x1200 monitor, so its crazy thinking about fitting all that technology in phones n tablets now, and eventually very high res tablets. My first pc was slower and had elss ram n memory than my droid >_<

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I caught a few youtube videos yesterday that left me impressed with the idea of rooting the Nook. It will be a while before I try it, but here is a taste of how it might perform after rooting and installing Android 2.1 (I assume):

Nook Color Hacked to Run Android Apps &#8211; Videos and Instructions | The eBook Reader Blog

Here are the second and third videos from that page:

Very nice, smooth screen transitions. And in the third, I was very impressed with the pinch-zoom action in Google Earth. I haven't tried it on my Droid, but it looked very good on the Nook.

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator: