Hey guys! Which tablet for 220 dollars max? if nothing, I'm buying nookcolor.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
Hey guys, I have a question. Which tablet should I get for 220 dollars that will be a good one? If there aren't any that will be (semi)trouble free, I will buy a nookcolor since at least it will work well and be supported(I know, it's mainly an e-reader, I know the shortcomings but I would trust it). Thanks for your advice guys, what would you buy spending 220 dollars?

Ian

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Is that $220 total price or with/without taxes/shipping/etc? Important question. I have discovered from prior questions of the same vein, some mean total. Others mean item price. For some units, a $220 can mean close to $300 in the end.

That stated, You will find direct ship $220 from China some acceptable 2.1/2.2 units. But you will be sacrificing support and ease of return if you have problems.
If purchasing in the US, it will be a step down to some E-Readers which will be archaic/obsolete by the next generation units on the horizon. The magic number right now is closer to $250-300 for a base quality unit.

But that is my opinion. Let me know your real price ceiling, and others will chime in with their recommendations.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks!

I mean 220 total, including shipping, or very close to it. I really don't want something I have to tinker with and have no support on . The nook color will fit my needs, just didn't know if there was a better choice. I am just fine with tinkering usually....but this will be a present to me and I just want it to work out of the box, I will not be rooting.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
And btw, I played with the nookcolor for a good 15 minutes last night, and loved it. And also, I will be using this mainly as a reader, but also to check facebook/forums.

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
You can take a look at the link in my signature. That should help in choosing a good tablet. Most Android 2.1 tablets from there are under 200$.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The NookColor is a good consideration especially when considering the RAM, Processor and the recent ability to root and provide further capability for its price. I think it is a player crippled only by the wrapper placed around it. It certainly has the capability. It just needs to be tweaked.

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
Man thanks for the great info guys!

Rico, I love everything about that...but its listed under 'for the adventerous' on the list, and I don't want to be adventerous for this item. I want an item that will be supported and updated often, with no problems I'll have to solve on my own(major problems) and I will not be rooting until after warranty expires (if at all)

bamarammin87

Dec 8, 2010
The nook has twice the ram...and I don't have worries about how well its supported. But that wistech looks great...just only has 256mb ram, and seems kinda risky. I don't wanna have to tinker with something all the time. And its not multi-touch like the nook, with lower resolution (res on the nook color looks amazing)

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I have to have gps so the nook color is out for me, although it looks like the a good tablet if you have $250.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
+1 for Nook Color, but prepare to need to mod it. If you are willing to spend the extra money, the Archos 70 is the next one inline I guess.

I would just get the Huawei S7 if I wanted the GPS. But that's just me.