Hey guys! Which tablet for 220 dollars max? if nothing, I'm buying nookcolor.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Oh, OF COURSE. Why didn't I ask what your phone does on Quadrant? Thanks for thinking of that. But you're running Froyo, right? ;) I vaguely remember that JIT increased benchmark scores quite a bit:

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

-Matt

I'm running a HTC Evo, Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo (Rls 4) Rom, stock htc-kernel 2.6.32.15. I get 1165 in Quadrant at 1Ghz.

Android 2.2 is a little faster than 2.1 but I wouldn't say 2 times. When it comes to custom roms, both are fast and worlds faster and smoother than their stock rom counterparts. Before my Evo, I had a HTC Hero running a very fast custom 2.1 rom, loved it. Stock roms are often bloated, weighted down, and not customized for maximum efficiency.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
You use a bluetooth obd2 modules. They are cheap and can be found on ebay and amazon. All you need is the free app and the bluetooth model and you are off and running.

Back on topic: I forgot to mention the NC has a nice feel in hand. It is very well made and is thin but sturdy. The weight is nothing, feel light to me. I didn't have scale but it feel the same weight as my evo. Many reviews for the NC comment on it's weight and how heavy it is. I don't see it.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Also went to what the Nook UI calls "Extras" where the picture gallery is. Looked through a few of the stock pictures they had on the NC and the pinch two finger multi-touch zoom does work there. So the capability is there, just the stock browser installed is not configured for that function. An easy fix for the custom rom gurus.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Nook Color full specs:

• PCB: Foxconn ML1 S 94V-0

• CPU Processor: ARM Cortex A8-based Ti OMAP 3621 @ 800 MHz (same processor as Droid 2 and Droid X)

• GPU Processor: PowerVR SGX530 Graphics Rendering: Open GLES1.1/2.0 Hardware Scaling: 854x480 scaled to 1024x600 Video Formats: .3GP, .MP4, .3G2 ** Video Codecs: H.263, H.264, MPEG-4, ON2 VP7 ** Image Formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP ** (same GPU as Droid 2 and Droid X)

• RAM: 512MB Hynix H8MBX00U0MER-0EM MCM (Stacked Chips 2x256MB each die mDDR)

• Internal Flash: 8GB Sandisk SDIN4C1-8g
  • Removable Flash: 32GB via microSDHC

• Radio: Chip ID Ti wl1271 (kernel reports wl1273) Chip supports bluetooth transmit/recieve and fm radio functions through the same antenna, but is not enabled in software drivers. Connectivity: 802.11b/g/n Security: WEP/WPA/WPA2/802.1x Mode: Infrastructure

• Audio: Ti TLV320DAC3100 Codec 3.5mm Headset Jack (TRS 3-Pole) - no mic input Single Rear Speaker PWM Headphone Amp Headphone Detection Mic Amp and ADC (Mic input not available) Audio Formats: .3GP, .3G2, .MP4, .AMR, .MP3, .MID, .XMF, .MXMF, .RTTL, .OTA, .IMY, .WAV, .OGG, .ACC ** Audio Codecs: ACC, ACC+, AMR, MP3, MIDI, LPCM **

• Power Management: Texas Instruments TPS65921 PMIC Integrated Power Management IC with 3 DC/DC's, 4 LDO's, USB HS Transceiver

• Battery: "Barnes & Noble" labeled 3.7V 4000mAh 14.8Wh Li-ion battery Battery Life: ~8 hours

• Physical Specifications Dimensions: 8.1" (205mm) L x 5" (127mm) W x 0.48" (12.2mm) D Weight: ~15.8oz (~422g)

• Micro-B USB 2.0 High-Speed
  • Accelerometer

• Input Virtual QWERTY Keyboard On-Screen Soft-Keys ** 'n' Home button Power\Lock button Volume Up\Down buttons

Quadrant

• Galaxy S (with speed fix) – 2,200
  • Desire HD – 1860
  • Desire Z – 1521
  • Nexus One – 1,300
  • Galaxy Tab – 1,000
  • Nook Color - 1,062
  • Galaxy S – 800
  • HTC Desire – 520

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
ZOMFG, a WELL-PRODUCED youtube video, and NO ANGRY BIRDS!!!!!!!!! :eek:

You know you're the highlight of my week. Thanks for keeping it so interesting!

-Matt

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Also went to what the Nook UI calls "Extras" where the picture gallery is. Looked through a few of the stock pictures they had on the NC and the pinch two finger multi-touch zoom does work there. So the capability is there, just the stock browser installed is not configured for that function. An easy fix for the custom rom gurus.
Yep, your instincts are right-on:

NookColor Enable MultiTouch - nookDevs

Multi-touch also works without the tweak for some apps, e.g., Dolphin HD.

-Matt

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Follow-up on the BestBuy saga:

I went back today, but they'd sold out yesterday. I talked to 4 salespeople, whose combined knowledge of the product was almost 10% of mine. It feels so strange to pretend to be a naive customer, and try to politely smile when the salesperson says something that's simply wrong and misinformed.

Two important "discoveries." I'm thinking the coupon I have does not cover the Nook, which means the assistant manager that "adjusted" the price for me last week made a "mistake." I'll just call it good karma.

Second, I asked and I asked and I asked, and the conclusion was NO RESTOCKING FEE. The final guy to check for me said "I looked at our printed list of devices, and it said 'THE NOOK HAS NO RESTOCKING FEE.'" So if you haven't gotten one yet, I'd consider going back and trying again.

(The funny part about number two is that one sales guy was adamantly trying to convince me that there was a restocking fee--some BS story about how "you have to register the device before you can use it"--as the second came up, interrupted and said he'd checked and nope there wasn't. I pointed at the second guy and said "I like that answer.")

Might note here that nookDevs has instructions for total factory reset:

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

EDIT: OK, looks like the unroot link has moved here: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_UnRooting
EDIT: And this for going back to stock: http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM

Very reassuring to know that as long as I don't modify /system to read-write (and "brick" it) that I can perform a total wipe and reset, including elimination of root.

-Matt

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Went to B&N today and no go on the price match from 10% at BB. The NC is a big deal at B&N, they have a dedicated counter in front of the store and many were swarmed around it. They still had plenty in stock as well as the BB I went to last night. I'm still contemplating the sale at this time, since it's xmas and I don't really need the device.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I wish I could talk you (or even one of us) into it, but after realizing my coupon may not work a second time--and there's already one sitting under my tree--I am contemplating waiting until January. I admit the fever of the last few days has eased somewhat. What I'm thinking at the moment is that my wife is OK with her Sony eInk reader for now (damn, she has NO IDEA what's in the box under the tree!!!), and that developments in rooting the NC are coming on a day-by-day basis. Perhaps in a few weeks there will be something that makes me glad I took some time off!

I just have to make sure to NOT go back and re-read your comments about the screen quality, weight in hand, responsiveness, etc.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Your right, my urgency to buy craze has gone down and I'm thinking more rationally about the purchase. Don't get me wrong, I still want to get one. And you are also correct in that us, mid to novice android rooters are a little early to the game. I wish I would have learned of the NC two months from now, where developers will most likely have a bunch of polished custom roms to choose and play with from the NC. At the moment, there is not much past root and everyone is just starting to crack the envelop of what the NC is capable of. The NC is only only been on the market a good 20+ days. I didn't buy an Evo until 6 months after it was released. lol

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Well gang, I pulled the trigger and brought a NC from B&N today. I'll have some pics and first impressions in the NC section shortly. :)