Honeycomb To Have Minimum Specs; Require HD and Dual Core

WenWM

Sep 21, 2010
honeycomb.jpg

Rumor has it that our much loved Android OS has adopted something similar to Microsoft’s WP7 system. We might be seeing a minimum specification requirement for all Honeycomb devices. Word on the street is, Google might be making a dual-core processor a minimum requirement for Honeycomb. The word doesn’t stop there; many users have expressed their dislike for manufacturers' low-balling the screen resolution, and so Google took that on as well, and required manufactures to put a minimum of a 720P display. This means the two most commonly low-balled features are now being controlled by Google.

This is still just in rumor form, but seeing all these new tablets with high resolution displays and dual core processors, I have no reason not to believe it. Are there any more minimum requirements that you can think of which would be necessary for all Android tablets to be perfect?

Source (Rumor: Honeycomb to Require Dual-Core Processor, Hi-Def Resolution | Android Phone Fans)

Last edited by a moderator:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
All I can say is: Go back and look at the rumors for Gingerbread which began in July/Aug 2010. They said 512Mb and ARM8 minimum and ....
So I will believe it when Google puts it to bed.

My belief and hope is they will draw a line in the sand, but be more compatible with the Base capability logic. This is the logic Apple has done for IPhones and would be dangerous for Google not to pursue a similar model.

stanglx

Jan 4, 2011
Here is how I see it....

Honeycomb will be great if they support current at least 256Mb Ram, Single Core A8 1Ghz and no minimum to the resolution.... They need to ALSO make sure that the APIs used are backward compatible with current applications and future development. And lastly the price needs to be LESS than the iPAD. If so it will be a hit!

If the tablet comes in with minimums that are higher then the fastest supported phone platform OR the API changes enough that current apps break or future application development changes significantly it will be a very long adoption process. If the prices is the same or higher than the iPAD it will be a huge failure in the short term.

Dont get me wrong I love to see higher specs and newer more robust APIs as the experience will be much better for the consumer but reality is people buy these type of devices based on the number of apps that run on them. As you can see Apple kept to this strategy and has had record sales of their iPAD and will continue to... This approach with the lead unfortunately will be very difficult to overcomb - especially for the masses (us geeks are a different story but success of products depend on the masses not us geeks)

Lets see what move Google makes... Google.. take heed..

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Just FYI, I have read similar rumors on Engadget, so it looks like the rumor brushfire has begun. All I think we can hope for is that people realize that this is a moving target, and NOTHING official has been said. We are going on conjecture and rumor at this point. Re-read Gurgle's post, believe it only when Google finally puts it out there as a finished product.

subvecto

Dec 25, 2010
Those rumors you point out suggest OS fragmentation which is not only a mess on vendor, developer side but also a mess on OS maintenance, simply put those rumors suggest there will be two sets of OS branches even if the base kernel is same; like windows desktop and windows ce instead positioned for identical hardware platforms and end devices...

Device manufactures will always (actually have to) use higher spec'ed components as there is a little differentiation left in device designs, especially when underlying OS is same... Than there are manufacturers' custom UIs which are more often remembered as leading cause for consumer frustration as most hardware vendors are clueless and lack proper capability when it comes to software development whether done inhouse or outsourced... HTC was smart to snatch a small UI dev company in US and 'sense' started to make sense as so the recent acquisition of TaT by RIM... it is time of user experience not device as all devices start to look alike including spec wise and there is only a very small wiggle room left for hardware manufacturers to win or lose hearts and souls...

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

stanglx

Jan 4, 2011
Events that leads me to believe that this IS true:

1. Google doesn't officially allow any tablets to access market place. "Current platform not optimized for tablet use" --- this BS as we can all see. The APIs fully support tablets with 2.2.

2. GalaxyTab released with Market ONLY for Cell model - WIFI only model delayed --- Why delayed?? NO reason technically. No work on WIFI model.. Hmmmm

2.5 Samsung announces v2 of the Galaxy will be Tegra based. (just added)

3. Who from the competitive companies (Toshiba, Vizio, Motorola, MSI, Acer, Asus, etc.) who have announced a new tablet coming in 2011, announce that their platform of choice IS NOT Tegra based?? Who who??? I haven't seen anyone. Why? - No one else has a dual core ready.

4. All Tegra based tablets have 512 meg ram --- Hmmm why? Its unnecessary for the platform (all you linux heads know what I mean). I see this as a nice to have. And for those you screaming that this is why the Archos is limited/poor performing -- use the iPAD.. It's interface/applications scream speed and the iPAD only has 256 Meg of ram (and guess what its using a Linux Kernel)

5. Tegra 2 is dual core ---- See 4..

6. Hush hush... Doesn't make sense why Google who "is an open source company" would keep the minimum specs/sdetails on this build so secretive... No leaks from vendors either... Nothing... I have more information on the iPAD 2 than Honeycomb.

7. New companies eLocity, etc. are coming out of the gate using an expensive chip as their first run??? Profit Profit Prof it is key to any new company.. If it would work on a lesser chip they would gone there first..

Simple fun to speculate either way though..

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
1. Google doesn't officially allow any tablets to access market place. "Current platform not optimized for tablet use" --- this BS as we can all see. The APIs fully support tablets with 2.2.

While I agree with most of what you say in principle, the Huawei S7 Tablet has had full Market out of the gate.

stanglx

Jan 4, 2011
Chinese companies dont give a $hit about licenses, patents, etc. I suspect this is why they are coming out of the gate with Market... I would rather use Archos, Toshiba, ViewSonic, etc. etc. as basis.

While I agree with most of what you say in principle, the Huawei S7 Tablet has had full Market out of the gate.

subvecto

Dec 25, 2010
Events that leads me to believe that this IS true:

2. GalaxyTab released with Market ONLY for Cell model - WIFI only model delayed --- Why delayed?? NO reason technically. No work on WIFI model.. Hmmmm

There is simple reason why market access requires gsm module which can be altered without leaving out previous devices; it is in the mechanics of how market works, currently

Tegra2 is so far the only proven dual core arm there; TI could be another current choice but way expensive compare to nvidia's. Watch for dual core arms popping out from qualcomm and samsung soon (samsung one would depend on apple orders more than anything) using dual core with a larger battery (hence larger real estate on tablets) is rational when and if the underlying OS supports it which supposedly next android will...

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Chinese companies dont give a $hit about licenses, patents, etc. I suspect this is why they are coming out of the gate with Market... I would rather use Archos, Toshiba, ViewSonic, etc. etc. as basis.

Market is more than just having a 3G connection. It is NOT required. Some Chinese vendors paid the licensing to get Market. There are other elements to get into placing Market legitimate on a device. GPS is another key requirement. If the device does have GPS capability, then it is not fully elegible for Market, but it can place a limited Market on. I am not talking about a Hack or post install. It just does not provide access to all apps.

PaulM

Nov 22, 2010
The Huawei S7 has GPS and phone capabilities which technically make it a phone with a tablet attached to it.

If your device is set up that way then you can get full market access with Google
no questions no work around needed.

Samsung got a pass on that requirement for the galaxy tab in the USA but I think you can make calls with a tab everywhere else.

Smart move by Huawei.

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
Is that your way of saying it isn't true? Id hate to have to turn around and get rid of my galaxy tab only w few months after it release.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There are no minimum reqs. This is straight from Android.

Last edited:

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
i didnt understand what quished ment lol was making a comment about the spelling XD

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk