(HOW TO) Bootable CyanogenMod SD Card for Nook Tablet

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
This thread contains the instructions for creating a bootable SD card for running custom CyanogenMod ROMs. This leaves your internal device alone if you want don't want to root it or install a ROM over it (and preserve the warranty).

Resources: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1397

Make the NT rock and install Jelly Bean boot via microSD in 10 easy steps:

1) Format a good SD card of at least 4GB in size (A good SD card should have a formatted Crystal disk 4k QD32 write of 1 or greater.) I found the 16gb G.Skill Cl10 cards from newegg were great - QD32 1.4.

2) Download the rather stable cm10-121208_acclaim_sd_hd_img.rar and extract the image file using 7-zip.

3) Write the extracted image to the SD card using win32diskimager. Make sure you are writing to the SD card and not to some other portable drive or SSD on your PC!

4) Open MiniTool Partition Wizard and you should see your PC's partition(s) (leave these alone) and 5 partitions including the unused partition on the microSD card.

5) Delete Partition 4 (Fat 32 SDCARd) and hit Apply

6) Delete the Other partition ~600mb and hit Apply (Neither of those two partitions had any files in them. DO NOT delete the 1st or second partitions which both have the necessary files already inside.)

7) Create a new partition called DATA and select Primary and Ext 4. Make the size 1-4GB (or more) depending on app usage. This is where apps will install. It you are an app hog, them go with 4GB. I went with 2.5GB. Hit Apply.

8) Create a new partition called SDCARD and select Primary and FAT32. The size should be the remaining card space by default - leave it this way. Hit Apply.

9) Close the Partition Wizard, remove the microSD card and place it in the NT that is currently turned off (it needs to be off and not in the sleep state).

10) Turn the NT on and welcome to Jelly Bean. (If you reboot it will go back to stock NT. If you turn it off and then on it will boot Jelly Bean.) Enjoy!

Note> some NT's need to be plugged into a powered usb in order to boot to an sd card.

Thanks go to:

CM10.0 Jellybean SDCard IMG for Nook Tablet (12/08) « iamafanof

How to Guide: Bootable (CM7/CM9/CM10) SDCard for Nook Tablet « iamafanof

What is the fastest SD card you can buy for the Nook? - xda-developers

Nook Tablet 1.4.3 complete root guide for 8or16gb to GB and JB - xda-developers

Last edited:

candyman2012

Jan 11, 2012
does this information exist on this forum? I keep looking and finding dead ends or old info or link to buy N2A cards

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
does this information exist on this forum? I keep looking and finding dead ends or old info or link to buy N2A cards

Sorry about that I intended to have this organized similar to the Nook Color. Unfortunately I have been unable to get to this as a side project. On top of that the resources for the Nook Tablet have never been as available or organized as for the Nook Color which would have required even more effort to pull it all together.

The resources are out there and the Nook Tablet is as easy to work with as the Nook Color at this point. Both move very quickly since they are popular with the developers and it would be impossible to keep up with all of the changes on this site by myself. I have updated the OP with the XDA resource though. Feel free to explore and then share what you find here for others since XDA is for the tech savvy.

JP

drcameron

Dec 23, 2012
Make the NT rock and install Jelly Bean boot via microSD in 10 easy steps:

1) Format a good SD card of at least 4GB in size (A good SD card should have a formatted Crystal disk 4k QD32 write of 1 or greater.) I found the 16gb G.Skill Cl10 cards from newegg were great - QD32 1.4.

2) Download the rather stable cm10-121208_acclaim_sd_hd_img.rar and extract the image file using 7-zip.

3) Write the extracted image to the SD card using win32diskimager. Make sure you are writing to the SD card and not to some other portable drive or SSD on your PC!

4) Open MiniTool Partition Wizard and you should see your PC's partition(s) (leave these alone) and 5 partitions including the unused partition on the microSD card.

5) Delete Partition 4 (Fat 32 SDCARd) and hit Apply

6) Delete the Other partition ~600mb and hit Apply (Neither of those two partitions had any files in them. DO NOT delete the 1st or second partitions which both have the necessary files already inside.)

7) Create a new partition called DATA and select Primary and Ext 4. Make the size 1-4GB (or more) depending on app usage. This is where apps will install. It you are an app hog, them go with 4GB. I went with 2.5GB. Hit Apply.

8) Create a new partition called SDCARD and select Primary and FAT32. The size should be the remaining card space by default - leave it this way. Hit Apply.

9) Close the Partition Wizard, remove the microSD card and place it in the NT that is currently turned off (it needs to be off and not in the sleep state).

10) Turn the NT on and welcome to Jelly Bean. (If you reboot it will go back to stock NT. If you turn it off and then on it will boot Jelly Bean.) Enjoy!

Note> some NT's need to be plugged into a powered usb in order to boot to an sd card.

Thanks go to:

CM10.0 Jellybean SDCard IMG for Nook Tablet (12/08) « iamafanof

How to Guide: Bootable (CM7/CM9/CM10) SDCard for Nook Tablet « iamafanof

What is the fastest SD card you can buy for the Nook? - xda-developers

Nook Tablet 1.4.3 complete root guide for 8or16gb to GB and JB - xda-developers

Sindi

Jan 31, 2020
I was given a Nook Color Tablet a couple of months ago. Followed some other instructions for CM 10.2.1 (android 4.3) that burning a file to the card that made about a 300M partition, copying a zip file to the partition. Did not boot. B&N treated the card as regular storage and put its own directories on it, along with my several files.

I modified your instructions for linux.

Download the file on a linux computer..

unrar x cm.....rar (I wrote out the whole name, probably not necessary)
Produces cm-10-121208_acclaim_sd_hd.img of about 2gb.

Write ('burn') to a 4GB Sandisk SD card (other brands may work too).
Insert card into card reader and card reader into laptop USB port.
Do not mount the card before burning.

dd if=cm-10-121208_acclaim_sd_hd.img of=/dev/sdi bs=1024k
sdi = fourth slot in a USB card reader.
bs is block size. 1m did not work in linux. 1024k is 1m.
if is input file and of is output file.
This takes maybe 10 minutes and uses about 1.5GB of the 4GB card.
A 2GB card might have worked but some people reported it did not.

Leave card in card reader.
Start gparted and choose the drive name (sdi in my case)

There are four partitions sdi1-4 , with yellow triangles next to them (at least the last three).

I deleted the fourth partition and made a new partition which included the 2.5GB free space.
The yellow triangle on partition 2 disappeared. I labelled it SDCARD.

I reformatted the third to ext4 and renamed it DATA, leaving it 600MB. (I am used to phones with 150MB space for apps, most of which Google grabs). The yellow triangle went away.

I removed the SD card from the card reader and inserted it into the powered-off Nook.
(First I charged it to 45% with a non-proprietary cable and a 1.5A charger, ignoring the 'not charging' message which only means I did not pay for their special faster-charging cable. It charges quite slowly this way).

Powered on Nook, booted to CM (Android 4.1). I ignored the instructions to sign up with a Google account and said NO to anything else Google. Duckduckgo does not work (it needs a newer browser). EC Browser 3.01 needs Android 4.0+ (free, adblocker) and duckduckgo lite works. Youtube played an ad.

I turned off location. News and Weather does not work. I set it not to use automatic location and specified zip code. Network error - 7 year old OS. I can use NOAA.

The instructions that did not work for me for CM 10.2.1 had no gapps. I don't want gapps.
I do not use Google Play Store. I will attempt to remove it. apkpure and uptodown work.

This is my very first tablet.