How to Extend the 14-Day Magazine Trial (?)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I decided to do one of those 14-day magazine trials, and picked National Geographic Traveler. Of course it looks beautiful on the NC.

On a whim, I wondered if I could find it on the internal memory. Indeed, there was the magazine, stored in epub format in /media/B&N Downloads/Magazines. My NC is rooted, but I think the NC media directory also shows up on non-rooted NCs when you connect to a PC with USB:

$10-12-26-1.jpg

So I used the file manager (Root Explorer) to make a copy, and then pasted the copy in the corresponding folder on the SD card:

$10-12-26-2.jpg

Next, I navigated back to the B&N Library, and then from My Files, worked my way back to the folder on the SD card with the copy. Sure enough, there it was:

$10-12-26-5.jpg

To my amazement, when I clicked on it, it opened and displayed exactly like the original, including navigation tools like Contents and ArticleView (a nice trick for displaying the text of the stories).

$10-12-26-4.jpg

The question, of course, is what happens in a few days when I cancel the free trial? I assume the original copy will be deleted. I wonder what will happen to the duplicate on the SD card...? If it's protected with DRM, perhaps it will be encrypted and not readable...or.... :rolleyes:

-Matt

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hmm...well, regarding the DRM (copy protection) question: on a second whim I made a copy of the epub magazine file and put it on my PC. When I opened it up with the PC version of the Nook reader...it displayed pretty well. Ironically, in the PC ebook reader, it looks like the ArticleView (streamlined for reading) with no ads. Table of contents are intact, and hyperlinks also work. It may be a nice alternative to reading on the NC?

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
A few things I've learned about magazine subscriptions:

(1) I canceled the National Geographic Traveler subscription (I think it can only be done on the B&N website), and it said "wait an hour." Nothing happened. I repeated several times, and finally today received a cancellation email.

(2) Apparently the trial copies are ours to keep (no DRM?):

eBook Help FAQs - Barnes*&*Noble

How do subscriptions work?
When you subscribe to a NOOKnewspaper or NOOKmagazine, you will receive the current issue. As new issues are released, they will arrive in your NOOK Library on BN.com, on your nook, and in your NOOK app.

All first-time subscribers receive a 14-day free trial. If you do not cancel your subscription during that time, on the 15th day, your default credit card will be charged automatically at the monthly subscription rate. Your subscription will automatically renew on the same date each month unless you choose to cancel.

How do I cancel subscriptions?
In your NOOK Library on BN.com, find the subscription. Beside the title of the subscription is a link to "Manage Subscription." When you click on that link, it will take you to the Manage Digital Subscriptions page. Beside the title, click on "Cancel Subscription."

Any issues in your NOOK Library before you canceled the subscription will remain in your NOOK Library, and you can redownload those issues to your nook and your Barnes and Noble NOOK app.

You will receive a prorated refund to your default credit card based on the number of remaining issues in that billing period.
-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^Cool, maybe we can trade with friends or fellow Androidtablets.net users. *wink*wink*

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah you know, this thread was so quiet I was afraid you (or others) disapproved of what I was...er, um...implying. *wink*wink*

Oh, by the way the issues are running 20-40MB. Too bad we can't just post them on the forum!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yes posting on this thread won't be the best idea but using megaupload or rapidshare and pm or emailing friends is another. :)