How To Get Auto-Rotation For Nexus 7 Home Screen And App

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
One of the problems with the Nexus 7 Tablet is that the home screen does not rotate from the portrait mode. (same for app tray)
If you have your Nexus 7 on a stand, this can be a problem.

Checking around the internet, I found two solutions. One cost $3. The other is free.

1) Use the Ultimate Rotation Control App. It costs $3.00 to keep. (Free to try for 7 days) At the PlayStore.

2) The free method requires you to root the Nexus 7 first. ... See the easy root discussion here XXXXX

Once you are rooted, you need to download a root explorer.
... The Root Explorer (free Version) at http://www.1mobile.com/root-explorer-94072.html
... The ROOT Explorer Lite App is free and will do the job. (from PlayStore)

Basically, you need to edit the Nexus 7 *** build.Prop *** file
1. Open your root explorer app
2. Navigate to the build.prop ( system/build.prop )
3. Press and open the build.prop file the the explorer's file editor
4. Scroll to te bottom end for the build.prop file and add the following line

launcher.force_enable_rotation=true

Save the build.prop file. Restart your tablet.
Now your home screen should auto-rotate from portrait or landscape. (App tray too)

Good Luck

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
And an easier solution: Get Apex Launcher or Nova Launcher. Both of those allow rotation.

Another way is to modify the LCD Density in the build.prop from 213 to something 170 or below and it will get the classic Tablet UI with the clock/notifications in the lower right.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Get the app called Rotation Control by FaMe IT. It works with the stock browser and works very well I might add. You can set it to rotate depending on your preferences. I set mine to rotate to every turn.They have a free (limited time) version you can try out but the app is only $1.99. I don't mind paying for good apps. On a side note, if you want to read SD cards or flash drives get the Nexus Media Importer by HomeySoft.

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
Get the app called Rotation Control by FaMe IT. It works with the stock browser and works very well I might add. You can set it to rotate depending on your preferences. I set mine to rotate to every turn.They have a free (limited time) version you can try out but the app is only $1.99. I don't mind paying for good apps. On a side note, if you want to read SD cards or flash drives get the Nexus Media Importer by HomeySoft.

I use the Rotation Control app on my N7 as well. It works great and is well-worth the price in my opinion!!!

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
The new software will have the auto-rotate included. Now that I spent $1.99 for an app to do it.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Thanks! I just OTA updated to JB 4.1.2, and the homescreen rotates fine without the need for a 3rd party app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk