How to Root MID7024

pingram3541

Feb 2, 2011
after alot of trial and error I finally got rooted here is the code I used.

adb push su /etc/
adb push busybox /etc/
adb push psneuter /etc/

adb shell chmod 777 /etc/su
adb shell chmod 777 /etc/busybox
adb shell chmod 777 /etc/psneuter

adb shell
$/etc/psneuter

adb shell
#mount -o rw,remount/system
#cp /etc/su /system/bin/su
#cp /etc/busybox /system/bin/busybox
#cp /etc/su /system/xbin/su
#cp /etc/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
#chown 0:0 /system/bin/su
#chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

now to work on android market and google apps.

Thanks, this worked great for me. I just renamed su-v3 to su and followed the instructions. My reasoning for root was so I could find the wap_supplicant.conf so I could enable ADHOC support but unfortunately was unable to get it to work like I did on the 7015.

BTW, I have an 8024. I was not able to find a wpa_supplicant.conf in the /data/etc/wifi/ directory but was able to find 2 identcal copies located in /etc/wifi/ and /system/etc/wifi/ but after modifying both (which clearly had my most recent AP's) and rebooting, the same hack that worked on the 7015 does not work on this device. Maybe there is another wpa_supplicant.conf that I need to find. *shrugs*

In the mean time, I'm pretty content at the moment seeing as I received this tablet yesterday (from a Floridina Ebay seller for $150 slightly used) but I have already got the device rooted (thanks again), latest android market, latest flash 10.3 and the latest youtube app all working. This one last piece would close the deal until some mods are released. It sure would be nice to be able to connect to mt DROIDX while on the road rather than finding some free hotspot somewhere.

Keep up the good work guys!

sicvolo

May 28, 2011
Pwned. I had to change the procedure ever so slightly on my 7024. Heck knows why, may be cause my host is Ubuntu Jaunty. Here is what I did:

Get su from xda-developers (su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip) unzip and get the su out of it
Get SuperOneClick from shortfuse.org and unpack it. Do not try to run it - it sucks
Install Superuser.apk from the market or from the sd card.

In the ADB folder for SuperOneClick run chmod 777 adblinux

adblinux push su /etc/ (use su from the su-2.3.6.1)
adblinux push busybox /etc/
adblinux push psneuter /etc/
adblinux shell chmod 777 /etc/su
adblinux shell chmod 777 /etc/busybox
adblinux shell chmod 777 /etc/psneuter
adblinux shell
$/etc/psneuter
adblinux shell
#cp /etc/su /system/xbin/su
#ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su
#ln -s /system/xbin/busybox /system/bin/busybox
#chown 0:0 /system/bin/su
#chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
Reboot the device
Test
adblinux shell
$ su
The Superuser app should prompt you on the tablet for giving su su permissions (ironic ha?). say yes and you should be now be dropped to the rootshell.

maxonico

Jun 1, 2011
Hi everyone, I'm trying to root the MID7024 but I'm stuck in this step:

mount -o rw,remount/system

What I get is:

# mount -o rw,remount/system
mount -o rw,remount/system
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
ubi0:rootfs on / type ubifs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /mnt/asec type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime,devmode=666)
none on /dev/cpuctl type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpu)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 on /data type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data
=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /cache type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,dat
a=ordered)
/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,r
elatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,al low_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,
iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/secure/asec type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noe
xec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=07 02,allow_utime=0020,codepage=c
p437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=re mount-ro)
tmpfs on /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure type tmpfs (ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000)
#

Same as http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nical/12842-how-root-mid7024-2.html#post76626, but with no success I've tried the "alternate" method posted by mudknot2005. Am I missing something?
As a side note, I had to restore the entire S.O. by pressing the "menu" button and then volume up at booting.

Thanks.

sicvolo

May 28, 2011
On mine I skipped "mount -o rw,remount/system". /system is already mounted as rw at the / level. /system is just a folder.
Which leads me to believe there are more than one build being sold as 7024.
"uname -a" on mine reads
2.6.32.9 #1555 PREEMPT Tue Apr 12 15:23 2011
What's yours?

maxonico

Jun 1, 2011
On mine I skipped "mount -o rw,remount/system". /system is already mounted as rw at the / level. /system is just a folder.
Which leads me to believe there are more than one build being sold as 7024.
"uname -a" on mine reads
2.6.32.9 #1555 PREEMPT Tue Apr 12 15:23 2011
What's yours?

It reads:

2.6.32.9 #1286 PREEMPT Thu Mar 10 10:37:27 2011

sicvolo

May 28, 2011
Hmm...I wish Coby could post the updates on their website.
Anyhow, try skipping the mount or following the instructions I posted earlier. I've discovered that my Kyros had the original "mount ro" commented out in the init.rc.

maxonico

Jun 1, 2011
Hmm...I wish Coby could post the updates on their website.
Anyhow, try skipping the mount or following the instructions I posted earlier. I've discovered that my Kyros had the original "mount ro" commented out in the init.rc.

Hi, it worked like a charm! Thank you! Now to start messing around :p

sicvolo

May 28, 2011
I found an even more trivial set of commands to get your 7024 rooted. It probably can not get any simpler for manual rooting.

1. Get su and Superuser.apk from [APP] Superuser 2.3.6.1 - Now on the Market [2010-09-05] - xda-developers (su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip)
2. Get psneuter and adb/adblinux from SuperOneClick (SuperOneClick | shortfuse.org)
3. Run the following for the files you got:
adb push su /etc/
adb push psneuter /etc/
adb install Superuser.apk
adb shell
cd etc
chmod 777 psneuter
chmod 777 su
cp /etc/su /system/xbin/su
chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
4. Reboot your device. Run
adb shell
su
5. Your 7024 will be prompt you to allow su access. Click allow and you are done.
Tested on the Apr 12 15:23 2011 firmware.

nestor822

Jun 11, 2011
I found an even more trivial set of commands to get your 7024 rooted. It probably can not get any simpler for manual rooting.

1. Get su and Superuser.apk from [APP] Superuser 2.3.6.1 - Now on the Market [2010-09-05] - xda-developers (su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip)
2. Get psneuter and adb/adblinux from SuperOneClick (SuperOneClick | shortfuse.org)
3. Run the following for the files you got:
adb push su /etc/
adb push psneuter /etc/
adb install Superuser.apk
adb shell
cd etc
chmod 777 psneuter
chmod 777 su
cp /etc/su /system/xbin/su
chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
4. Reboot your device. Run
adb shell
su
5. Your 7024 will be prompt you to allow su access. Click allow and you are done.
Tested on the Apr 12 15:23 2011 firmware.

Hi, i've had test step by step every guide in this post... but i'm stuck in the step 5, my coby says: link_image[1995]: failed to link su
CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE

what i have doing wrong?? my device has a Apr 12 15:23 2011 firmware

PD: Sorry for my bad english, i'm from venezuela :p

Pablocr

Jul 3, 2011
So the last post on this thread is almost a month old.
Just wondering ... without coby releasing the firmware update we're still stuck right?
What are the current capabilities of hombrew on the 7042?

Root? (I think manual right?)
CW?
ROMS?

I have the felling I made a bad choice...

pingram3541

Feb 2, 2011
Haven't heard of Any-Brew for any of the X024/X025 models

Yep.
CW?
ROMS?
Pretty sure a big NO without access to source from Coby

Depends on what you paid for it and what you plan on using it for. It's nothing I would suggest for playing games, it's too sluggish and the screen is very unresponsive, unlike the touch keys which are way too sensitive. As far as surfing and playing videos it meets my needs for now but I'm still looking at other tablets. If given the opportunity, I'll sell my 8024 I picked up for $150 and maybe grab the 10.1" viewsonic since the price keeps getting closer to $200 and the display is capacitive. I really want to play with the Toshiba one...but think tablets need at least a dual core 1.2Ghz+ and the Android OS still needs more polishing for mainstream enterprise professionals to use.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
So the last post on this thread is almost a month old.
Just wondering ... without coby releasing the firmware update we're still stuck right?

CW?
ROMS?

Since im just using my 7024 for internet browsing, watching videos and playing games..i think im happy with this device.

I'm actually using a different ROM(base on Haipad M7) now although i have to modify it a little bit base on the information from this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ate-coby-kyros-7024-gingerbread-firmware.html

Pablocr

Jul 3, 2011
Thanks guys.
pingram3541 I agree is all a matter of Pirce/features. I have to say that after being able to calibrate correctly and get the google apps working a lot has changed :) I'm happy with it. I originally bought to read ebooks and that's something that this tablet does pretty well.

I created a post "All you need to know" with a little summary of everything I learned here.

After getting the Android market going one thing I notice is that certain apps after update them they will stop working Aldiko and Youtube.

Any ideas with those?