Huawei - Ideos 7" Tablet S7 Just showed up on Best Buy's site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2010
Huawei - Ideos 7" Tablet S7 - White - S7-104

This just showed up on Best Buy for pre order. Wonder if it's any good? The specs are kind of sketchy, and it is only running 2.1, but it looks like you can use it as a phone so....

Product Features

• Built-in Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n network
    For Internet capability on the go (additional fees may apply).
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR capability
    For wireless communication with a Bluetooth-enabled device.
  • Android 2.1 operating system
    Allows you to stay connected and productive on the go.
  • 7" color touch screen
    For clear viewing of your messages, photos and videos.
  • Store phone numbers, photos and videos
    Up to 8GB with the microSD card slot (media not included).
  • Built-in 2.0MP front/rear digital camera
    For taking still photos.
  • Built-in MP3 player
    Lets you enjoy your favorite songs.
  • Hands-free speakerphone
    Lets you talk while driving.
  • Polyphonic and superphonic ringtones
    Allow you to personalize the sound of your phone.
  • Up to 13 hours talk time and up to 100 hours standby
    With included lithium-ion battery.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Meh. Looks like they dropped the ball on this one. From every site I could find that had info on this it is nothing to ooh and aaah about. Snapdragon SoC, 256 Meg RAM, NO HDMI out, 2200 mAH battery (SMALL), touch screen responsiveness is meh. Ooh and it is shipping with Android 2.1 while there other Ideos products (phones) are shipping with Android 2.2 w/ lesser or equal hardware. I say pass on this one.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
$300 for a Snapdragon? That's a steal even with 256MB RAM and a resistive touch screen. It needs Froyo, but it shouldn't be that bad to get it working. Depends on how locked down this thing is.

Keep in mind that this thing has phone functionality!

It's like a cheaper Galaxy Tab 3G

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
First off $300 for a snapdragon is not a steal. Seeing that the Archos tablets coming out in a couple of weeks are all Cortex A8 units clocked at 1 Ghz with capacitive touchscreens as well as Froyo. The Archos 7 will be UNDER $300 with far better specs than this tablet. The other option for a little more money, $368 US dollars, is the Elocity A7 which will be packing the Tegra 2 250 dual core Cortex A9 @ 1 Ghz which is the next gen. in ARM SoC's. So again this tablet is looking worse and worse by the moment knowing what will be releasing with the next one to two weeks.

Oct 2, 2010
That's why I wanted to check it out on here. It might end up being a good tablet (if the price was a little lower) but then again it might not. :)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
First off $300 for a snapdragon is not a steal. Seeing that the Archos tablets coming out in a couple of weeks are all Cortex A8 units clocked at 1 Ghz with capacitive touchscreens as well as Froyo. The Archos 7 will be UNDER $300 with far better specs than this tablet. The other option for a little more money, $368 US dollars, is the Elocity A7 which will be packing the Tegra 2 250 dual core Cortex A9 @ 1 Ghz which is the next gen. in ARM SoC's. So again this tablet is looking worse and worse by the moment knowing what will be releasing with the next one to two weeks.
You are completely neglecting the 3G capabilities of the Snapdragon chipset. Comparing SoCs without 3G capability is not meaningful here. This is the least expensive Android device with full built in 3G (not sure, but maybe also dialing) capability on the market, and by a wide margin. The next one up with the same form factor is the Galaxy Tab. There is no comparison.

It depends on your needs, and how Android development works on this platform. I'm really surprised that this isn't getting that much press.

Almost all the entire Cyanogenmod platform devices are based on Qualcomm processors. The development community for this is potentially very large.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
You are completely neglecting the 3G capabilities of the Snapdragon chipset. Comparing SoCs without 3G capability is not meaningful here. This is the least expensive Android device with full built in 3G (not sure, but maybe also dialing) capability on the market, and by a wide margin. The next one up with the same form factor is the Galaxy Tab. There is no comparison.

It depends on your needs, and how Android development works on this platform. I'm really surprised that this isn't getting that much press.

Almost all the entire Cyanogenmod platform devices are based on Qualcomm processors. The development community for this is potentially very large.

Yeah but the 3G capability is no biggie. Simply put you can go with a plethora of Mifi options available from multiple carriers and have your data anywhere while still having a better device in the end for a lesser cost. The difference in cost can get you the MiFi and the data plan will still remain the same. Again I don't see a huge benefit to the 3G at all. An excellent example of this is the video of the Archos 70 running on the MiFi module out in the open. Rockin' mobile data for a total initial investment of about $300.

For those of us with Android handsets most of us have the ability to wireless tether. So there is your wireless connection for the tablet. In any case 3G embedded in the tablets is becoming more and more of a gimmick than a necessity.

matthew2582

Jun 29, 2010
Meh. Looks like they dropped the ball on this one. From every site I could find that had info on this it is nothing to ooh and aaah about. Snapdragon SoC, 256 Meg RAM, NO HDMI out, 2200 mAH battery (SMALL), touch screen responsiveness is meh. Ooh and it is shipping with Android 2.1 while there other Ideos products (phones) are shipping with Android 2.2 w/ lesser or equal hardware. I say pass on this one.

Um no not so -- Archos tablets are shipping with 2.1 -- go check their Support FAQ, with a vague promise of Froyo sometime in December

Mind you -- Archos is in such a mess -- you cannot 2 people in Archos to give you the same ship date which was meant to be mid October according to their CEO keynote and now is -- from my conversations with Archos -- November 1 or November 15 or December 1

Really pathetic

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Um no not so -- Archos tablets are shipping with 2.1 -- go check their Support FAQ, with a vague promise of Froyo sometime in December

Mind you -- Archos is in such a mess -- you cannot 2 people in Archos to give you the same ship date which was meant to be mid October according to their CEO keynote and now is -- from my conversations with Archos -- November 1 or November 15 or December 1

Really pathetic
Whoa...didn't know that. If it's true about Froyo, that would be pretty consistent with the Archos MO: rush it to market, with promises of feature updates early in the first product cycle. Then delay, delay, delay. And finally the promised feature is offered. On the next product cycle.

-Matt

Oct 2, 2010
Whoa...didn't know that. If it's true about Froyo, that would be pretty consistent with the Archos MO: rush it to market, with promises of feature updates early in the first product cycle. Then delay, delay, delay. And finally the promised feature is offered. On the next product cycle.

-Matt

That's what I've been hearing/reading too. That's why I didn't go for the more affordable Archos 70 initially. If, and that's a big if, the Archos does actually ship with 2,2, then I would buy it over the Galaxy Tab. I have the Archos 5IT now, and am mostly happy with it except for screen size and a few little glitches here and there, so would gladly buy another Archos - if only they actually shipped out with 2.2.

Now in the meantime, the fellow I was talking to over at Best Buy the other day while playing with the iPad, told me that Rocketfish was releasing 2 tablets for the market, and that the Ideos and the Rocketfish tablets were coming the first week of November, with the Galaxy Tab following in the second week. So lets see if he was right or not. And at least we can go into Best Buy to play with the Ideos Tablet to see if it's a dog or not, KWIM? ;)

etoh

Oct 21, 2010
archos 7 is seems great, but if got SIM card slot it would be better...

so, to me, this huawei S7 (i used to try it on the computer show in indonesia)
is a good options for having a 3G built in tablet, so i could go anywhere, without worry wifi connection

or forget to bring the MIFI / or usb modem :)

post it here Telkomsel Huawei S7 (ICS 2010) | Forumponsel

galaxy tab in here is for USD 640-750 vs this USD 299 is great offer.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Some people actually like the built in 3G. I personally have an Android phone already and don't need it myself either, but there is actually a market for devices like this. Not everyone has a smartphone.

Not everyone can tether either.

But the whole point about it being a great deal is because the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets cost a lot to manufacture with. So you are getting a top dollar piece of hardware which happens to be a proven platform that has excellent dev support.

If there's enough devs on this, you can use the tablet to tether the internet to other devices too.

duke1231

Oct 28, 2010
My only concern, and mind you I am not anywhere near a tech. type person, but is it true that because of the 256mb of ram that it has, it would not be able to upgrade to say gingerbread, in the future?

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
I just called one of the stores about the tablets they are advertising. It sounds like don't get your hopes up to high for this one they are going to carry is I been told by two stores now that it will only be wifi version only and the MAY carry a 3g version down the road, but all the indications is leading to believe that this may just be a wifi version, which may explain the low cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.