Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

AAndrew

Dec 26, 2010
Useful Free Apps for Rooted S7 Users
There are a few things you can't do on Android without root. The following are apps that are exclusive to root users, and are worth downloading. (If you think I've missed any really notable ones, please let me know!)

Titanium Backup

Description :
Extremely powerful backup tool for rooted Android phones !

* Backup/restore regular apps + their settings
* Backup/restore protected apps + their settings
* Backup/restore system settings (incl. Wi-Fi AP list)
* Restores the Market links when restoring apps

* Zero-click background batch backup
* Many batch scenarios (eg: if more than N days since last backup, etc)

* Zero-click app un-installer
* Zero-click system app un-installer

More details on the web page:
Titanium Backup for Android ? Official Site

QR Code :
chart

AdFree Android

Description :
THIS APP IS FOR ROOTED PHONES ONLY!

AdFree removes most ads in the browser and other apps. It does this by nullifying requests to known hostnames serving ads.

If you have problems with this app, or you know of additional hostnames not being filtered, please comment in xda-developers.com forum so it can be fixed!

QR Code :
377164-1272358753556.png

AutoKiller

Description :
AutoKiller is not a regular task manager. AutoKiller is an award winner minfree tweaker, it fine tunes android systems inner memory manager to keep your device fast over time. As a side effect it also lowers battery consumption. Also includes a manual process/service manager.

- ROOT REQUIRED to set minfree values, unrooted devices will not have this feature
- donate version hides ads, enables additional features. Donation is only available via paypal atm.
- if you have questions or you face errors please check home page or write mail
- for more details see home page

kw: minfree, memory, process, task, speed, improve, clean, root

Recent changes:
- improved compatibility with ADW Launcher Ex
- possible fix for duplicate process list entries

QR Code :
chart

Battery Booster

Description :
Battery Booster maximizes battery's running time & battery life.
-Battery status/usage tracking
-WiFi/BT/Screen Brightness/Timeout Shortcuts
-Calibration Notification
-WiFi/BT setting on device lock/low battery
-Beep on low battery
-Built-in smart task manager
-Show % of battery left on notification bar

* Widget support *

QR Code :
chart

Memory Booster Lite

Description :
Memory Booster is a powerful mobile memory & RAM boosting tool specially designed for Android smartphone users. It is designed to tackle the difficult yet crucial problem of memory management for all Android devices. Memory Booster reclaims lost memory for your programs by defragmenting your smartphone's memory and recovering memory leaks from poorly behaved applications.

Features:
• Real-time Memory Status Report & Monitor
Memory Booster provides a live chart to demonstrate your device's total/free memory and current memory usage.
• Setting Your Performance Target
With Auto Boost Threshold set, Memory Booster keeps your memory higher than desired level, and act immediately if memory drops down.
• One-click Quick Memory Boosting
Besides automatic memory boosting, Memory Booster also allows you to manually boost your memory by Quick Boost.
• Auto-boosting in the Background
With Auto Boost Interval, Memory Booster runs in the background and automatically reclaims memory for your Android at interval.
• Android system crash protection
Memory Booster always watches your system resources and cleans up system memory once it reaches a critical point.
• And there is more…
Other features include embedded Task Killer, Whitelist Manager, Boost Level Manager & Memory Boost Log, which assist Memory Booster to perform more efficiently and friendly.

Kw: memory, ram, booster, optimize, boost, optimization, task killer, task manager, atk, taskiller, memory booster, ram booster, battery, save battery, battery booster, system manager, process kill, speed up, system speed, app killer, system panel, memory cleaner

QR Code :
chart

Terminal Emulator

Description :
Lets you access your Android's built-in Linux command line shell. Emulates a Digital Equipment Corporation VT-100 terminal. Developers use this to run utility programs.

Does not help you "root" your phone. Does not play games.

More info:

http://github.com/jackpal/Android-Terminal-Emulator/wiki

Recent changes:
Improves support for Bluetooth wireless keyboards. Most PC keyboard keys such as ESC and F1-F12 should now generate proper escape sequences.

QR Code :
chart

LCDDensity

Description :
App for changing LCD density settings on Your Android phone almost on the fly.

Smaller number means larger resolution.

Please check [App] [Root] LCDDensity (safe) - xda-developers before use.

Please send me e-mail if You have any problems.

QR Code :
chart

SetCPU

I know, this app isn't free in the market. However, the devs have released a free version to XDA Developers.

If you can, buy the app to support the devs, but if you absolutely need it for free, it's located : SetCPU for Root Users [2.1.0] It's over nine thousand 12/27/2010 - xda-developers

Description :
SetCPU changes the CPU settings (capable of overclock and underclock) on a rooted Motorola Droid, Nexus One, G1, Magic, or one of many other devices to improve performance or save battery.

Have an HTC device with a stock ROM/kernel? Press Menu > Disable Perflock.

Galaxy S devices: use conservative scaling.

PAID Version QR Code :
chart

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Sweet thanks for putting this together and sharing it with us

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum App

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
Yes Thank you. Some of it seems to ring a bell while downloading apps and using the tablet. This maybe a dumb question but what is 'root' and why do we need to root the device? cannot efficiency be maintained without rooting?
Appreciate your patience.

double

Dec 24, 2010
Underclocking can be trick. What setting speeds have you found work for you? I'm kind of a speed freak so I use the 776/567 setting ondemand, was wondering how your experience with underclocking has gone as far as battery life goes, I can't find a simple battery on ebay. I would carry a spare battery around with me if I could.

I used the other root what's it's name, is there a difference between the two because this one seem to be working out fine.

AAndrew

Dec 26, 2010
Underclocking can be trick. What setting speeds have you found work for you? I'm kind of a speed freak so I use the 776/567 setting ondemand, was wondering how your experience with underclocking has gone as far as battery life goes, I can't find a simple battery on ebay. I would carry a spare battery around with me if I could.

I used the other root what's it's name, is there a difference between the two because this one seem to be working out fine.

Under-clocking conserves a small amount of battery life afaik. I myself would only use it as a last resort, if I needed to keep the battery alive for a long while. To be honest, I keep the setting on "On Demand" as well.

I though I'd include the under-clocking section, just incase anybody wanted to know. :D

Yes Thank you. Some of it seems to ring a bell while downloading apps and using the tablet. This maybe a dumb question but what is 'root' and why do we need to root the device? cannot efficiency be maintained without rooting?
Appreciate your patience.

Of course, you don't need to be rooted to have good battery life. You don't need to be rooted to conserve battery life, I would just keep close track of the apps you have running. Rooting simply give you the ability to do more to increase battery life.

I rooted my tablet for quite a few reasons, battery life was just one of them.

I would read this article, and this thread they explains a few of the benefits of rooting.

Last edited:

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks AAndrew for this great info. I learned alot and applied alot of what you shared. My thanks button seems to be gone? So my thanks to you!

PipinhoSurf

Dec 29, 2010
So huawei makes this tablet with resistive touch screen, no big deal, runs well. Decides the popular way is with the capacitive touch screen. So we are being left out in the cold?

In Europe you already have the capacitive touch screen model available

PipinhoSurf

Dec 29, 2010
The 2nd generation is very similar with the 1st, the main difference stays in the screen that is capacitive. You can buy them in Portugal - Phone house stores for about 200€

DCLocal

Nov 25, 2010
The 2nd generation is very similar with the 1st, the main difference stays in the screen that is capacitive. You can buy them in Portugal - Phone house stores for about 200€

Has it been confirmed that the capacitive screen S7 doesn't have a 3G radio?

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Has it been confirmed that the capacitive screen S7 doesn't have a 3G radio?

Well...in Portugal seems to be able to come with DATA contract. It is actually 349 EUR, which comes up to around $462, if not with a contract...

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
NEWS ON S7 AND ANDROID2.2:
1. It's confirmed that S7 hardwares(For example: S7-104, S7-103...) can update to Android2.2, and Huawei software team is preparing the software.
2. Android2.2 version for S7 hardwares will release in Q1 2011.
3. Everything on 2.2 version R&D is OK now.

JackJack, I am not sure who your sources are but here is what I have found out:
I emailed Huawei on their website and told/asked them this:

"I have recently bought an Huawei Ideos S7 with the promise that Android 2.2 will be available for this product VERY SOON. I also bought several of these as presents for friends and family. In addition I reviewed this product on my blog and other "tech sites". I gave it a VERY HIGH RATING, BUT depending on the 2.2 release I was promised at Best Buy here in the US.
I NEED to know if and when Android 2.2 will be available for this device or I will be returning them all by Friday. I will also write about this on my blog and other "tech" sites and tell everyone to NOT BUY an Huawei Ideos S7. I will tell them this product is TERRIBLE without Android 2.2. It is SEVERELY handicapped by 2.1.
PLEASE REPLY ASAP or I will act soon."

They responded to me today from the email:
[email protected]

This was the header of the email:

华为终端部门对您反馈的信息给予回复

They then said:
"Dear Sir/ Madam
thank you for your appreciation to our S7,we do not have plan for Andriod 2.2 at present , you could visit our website ,the latest news concerning Andriod-based device would be posed the first time at here."
Thanks

So this is pretty much proof in my mind that Huawei Ideos is working on the replacement for the S7 that will contain 2.2 or 2.3.
I AM SUPER PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS!

Can someone "on the inside" give us a definitive answer on this? I was promised an upgrade to 2.2 at purchase time at Best Buy, So if Huawei does not fix this ASAP I will no longer be their customer.

This topic should be the 1St sticky on this board about the Ideos S7 because there should be a warming to people thinking about buying it. With out 2.2 it is can barley hold 20 apps. That is pretty God damn bad.
-Ben