Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
This topic should be the 1St sticky on this board about the Ideos S7 because there should be a warming to people thinking about buying it. With out 2.2 it is can barley hold 20 apps. That is pretty God damn bad.
-Ben

Just to repeat myself on this topic:

A capacitive version of the S7 is around the corner, and a 2.2. upgrade will be made available for the existing S7.
At least in Norway, that is, but I can't believe they would leave out big markets like the US.

First, as for the capacitive version with a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8, it has already been tested by a Norwegian tech website:
SNIKTITT: Huawei Ideos S7 - Amobil.no

For the Google Translate'ed version:
Google Translate
(It was actually Huawei Norway that pointed me to the article, so I interpret that as an official confirmation)'

The price according to the article will be NOK 3.500 which is exactly what the current versions's SRP is, so no jump in price even with the upgraded CPU, screen and (for us) an extra rear camera (our current model in Norway has only a single camera - the front facing).

The 2.2. upgrade was confirmed to me by Huawei Norway yesterday, but as a disclaimer they said that Huawei, being a large global company, may choose different marketing strategies in different markets, but as I said I doubt that they would can the 2.2 sw upgrade when it's already available in Norway - and if they did it would probably be rather easy for you in US to get hold of it and install it.

So this is far from a confirmation that the 2.2. upgrade will make it to the US through official channels, but as I said I would find it very strange, even after the reply Huawei gave you, if they release a 2.2 upgrade in Norway or Europe, but won't release the same thing in the US.
And if they choose to do so, I think by then we will have pretty straightforward procedures available for US S7 owners on how to upgrade their devices using the Euro 2.2. upgrade files.

Best regards,
Christopher

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
The update will either come out from them or some user will make one for us.

As for the reply from Huawei, I sent a request about accessories and got pretty much the same answer. First off I dont think they are prepared to do big bussiness with U.S. vendors and I would think we should give them a break.

Anyone heard how the 2.2 rollout is going on the Archos. They did not roll it out to the people who bought the 7 at BB, LAME.

PipinhoSurf

Dec 29, 2010
Here's something I'd like clarified. There are two new S7s being sold. The S7 for India is advertized as having 2.2 and the Russian one with a capacitive screen. Are either actually running 2.2. If they are, why couldn't we just get a download from one of them and flash ours?

Otherwise, I agree. Release the 2.2 kernel and let the x-dev guys finish the project. Otherwise, what's our choice? The Gallaxy is big $$$, but it does work. The Archos 70 and 101 can't connect to a network unless you have exactly the right settings on the network, which won't work if you don't control the network. The G-Tab doesn't completely work out of the box.
I am keeping my S7, because I find it useful. I also believe that the x-dev guys will bail us out if Huawei drops the ball. However, they need to get us an update to at least 2.2 and soon. Otherwise, they will lose their opportunity to establish themselves as good choice to better known companies next year.

There is a capacitive S7 availabe in Europe S7-105 but it comes with 2.1 android, I hope they release froyo soon, because the tablet market is getting bigger. What about ZTE V9?

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
I doubt we will ever see 2.2 unless its a custom built. ROM. that's my opinion..... which I don't mind as long as we get 2.2.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
@BenCostello:

As PBrauer suggested, check JackJack's profile, and you will see that he claims to be an engineer in China. Given that and the "insider'ish" tone of his writing, I would be surprised if he is not a Huawei employee, or possibly with someone who is a key supplier. This makes me a bit optimistic that 2.2 is coming.

In that case I probably would re-consider buying one again, although I would need to assess my potential uses since that was the main reason I returned mine last week - just was not using it that much. The T-Mobile cheap data option discussed in another thread, plus Froyo, and a new Bluetooth tiny keyboard I just got (need to see if I can test it on a display model - works great with my Archos 5, as my Palm BT keyboard did, but which would not work with the S7), might justify my re-purchase.

I do not care for capacitive, so that is not a factor for me (although I could hope to get the current resistive S7 on clearance if they bring in a new model with capacitive, but I might "consider" the capacitive model if it is significantly lighter/smaller ;) ), but I know that is for most tablet users. I see JackJack's most recent "report" did not mention that.

Your blog review could just point out that this is a big unknown so far, and it is up to the readers to determine how important the updates are to them in light of the S7's other positive qualities. I think your use of "TERRIBLE" and "SEVERELY HANDICAPPED" are a bit hyperbolic for most potential users. Lighten up, and wait and see - what are your options otherwise? More expensive Galaxy, lower/unknown quality alternatives, or ... iPad.

Last edited:

Jokout

Nov 28, 2010
I have to agree rokky, all this complaining about what we don't have, instead of appreciating what the S7 DOES have! If 2.2 is so important to you, go dump a pile of cash on the Galaxy Tab! We will bid you good luck and farewell...but please don't come in here and bash the S7 for not being a perfect device! You will have a hard time finding that "perfect Device" in anything you buy...my new Galaxy S phone is still on 2.1 and ya know, it still is a wonderful phone and does incredible things that make my life much easier! As with the Galaxy S, I bought the S7 for what it could do for me NOW and not what it might be on 2.2 in the future!

Cheers!

Twedk

Dec 1, 2010
Hi, I just want to add that I love my s7, I also use it with my tmobile sim card that I remove from my cell phone, that is a My Touch, with the upgrade 2.2.1 android version....this has slowed my phone down, locks up, and freezes... so lets see

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I agree with the last couple of posts, the s7 is a very nice tablet the way it is and for the price it is hard to beat. I did a lot of working researching what tablet to get and I was torn between the s7 and the Archos 70. There were pros and cons on both of these tablets. The biggest con for me on the s7 was that it was on 2.1, however from what I could see the roll out to 2.2 on the Archos was not going well and even though they had 2.2 they still did not have flash. I think every person needs to look at what is best for their own needs. I would love to get 2.2 for two main reasons 1-more app space (but it sounds like there are people working on this) and 2-flash player. If we get those two things this would be very close to the perfect device for me.

BTW - sitting in my office at work on a very boring New Years Eve watching Office Space on my s7.

Ives

Dec 10, 2010
maybe we'll just jump straight to 2.3 :O

This is why i'm not to concerned about my S7 getting updated right away. It will not be long until " honeycomb " is released which is designed with the tablet market in mind. Then we will see some amazing tablets hitting the market.
My S7 will keep me happy as is. I'll be spending my money on computer upgrades for now.

I bet within a few months 7" tablets will come out with some crazy high resolutions that will have amazing screen detail, 3D accelerators and bench mark busting cpu's.

Ives

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Another encouraging bit of info: Huawei is one of the few Android tablet manufacturers found by Red Hat's Matthew Garrett (as a "side project", not official RH duty it seems) to comply with the GPL (GNU Public License) requirement to provide source code when using GPL licensed software to produce something else. See the list here:
Android tablet GPL compliance
Using the Linux kernel in Android falls under this requirement.

Joe Brockmeier, writing for Network World ( Open Source Report: Most Android tablets fail at GPL compliance | Network World ), refers to Garrett's findings in making what I consider a valid connection between this compliance (or lack thereof) and the product quality and staying power of tablet makers. So Huawei would seem to be more likely to "do the right thing" in supporting their Android-based products, and, we can hope, that should extend to updating the current S7's to FroYo (as stated by JackJack).

For an even "pithier discussion" (of course ;) ), see this Slashdot link:
Most Android Tablets Fail At GPL Compliance - Slashdot

FWIW

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
@BenCostello:

As PBrauer suggested, check JackJack's profile, and you will see that he claims to be an engineer in China...

Your blog review could just point out that this is a big unknown so far, and it is up to the readers to determine how important the updates are to them in light of the S7's other positive qualities. I think your use of "TERRIBLE" and "SEVERELY HANDICAPPED" are a bit hyperbolic for most potential users. Lighten up, and wait and see - what are your options otherwise? More expensive Galaxy, lower/unknown quality alternatives, or ... iPad.

First @Jokout... Ahh I'm not interested in a "flame war" with you or anyone about this device. Are you one of those people who say "If you don't like the US GET OUT!"?
I believe this site and this thread is to discuss an upgrade to the device. I didn't come here to "bash" the device. I came here to share information and HOPEFULLY make this device MUCH better.
@rokky
You are probably right about calling the S7 "Terrible" and "Severely Handicapped" as going a little to far. HOWEVER, I am an avid nerd and have used EVERY mobile operating system since Win Mobile 2002. I have owned several windows phones, several ipods (including the newest ipod touch) and have installed Android on a netbook for trial use.
Here is the BOTTOM LINE - What do people LOVE their iPods for? APPS. iPad, APPS, hell even blackberry and Windows mobile have fantastic apps. I LOVE my apps. I download torrents of apps. I could fill 4 gig full of apps easily AND actually use them!
The fact that I am limited to 175MB for apps is a HUGE RESTRICTION. Just for watching movies and a few ebook readers and I am full! I would definitely call that a "handicap" on a GREAT DEVICE. Basically making you choose about 20 apps on an app market place that has more than 100,000 APPS! Now that is a bottleneck! Windows had this figure out by 2002 and Apple never even had the problem. I really don't care about flash (there's an app for that).
I REALLY LOVE this device and I am not "bashing it" for what it "offers". It is an AWESOME device BUT, I was promised at Best Buy (by an employee and a sign near the device) that it would be upgraded to 2.2.
Fixing the ability to install apps on the internal 8 gigs or on the external MicroSD would probably make this the BEST and MOST powerful tablet on the market (especially for the $).
As far as JackJack, I did completely understand that he must be an insider and I believe him but being a programmer myself and working in the tech industry I have found that the "corporate" guys ALWAYS manage to f**k up an obvious decision.
The email I sent the company was harshly worded because as some of you in the "tech business" may know 1 strongly worded email will sometimes be seen as a representative of 20,000 customers (figures vary company to company).
So if they are thinking about NOT doing the upgrade just a few dozen emails from customers may change the minds of the "corporate guys". I'm trying to be proactive, not bash the device. (In fact I have a little "white lie". I haven't published my review on my blog yet or my review for a local newspaper.) I am waiting to see if they do announce an official upgrade.
AGAIN, I do LOVE this device, that doesn't mean that I can't "call it" on its flaws. You CAN like something and still complain about it. I paid $300 for mine and I want to make full use of it NOW. Or I'll return it and get the new one if/when it comes out with 2.2 or 2.3.
This is like owning a Ferrari but only having enough gas in the tank to get you 3 miles! So please forgive me for my frustration.
And by the way, the NookColor has an official release date for Android 2.2 and it has been rooted and hacked to install any application and it is $249.00. It is no S7 but it is a pretty decent alternative.
No offense intended, please take my frustration with a grain of salt, but I would be one happy guy if we got official news of a 2.2 release or a fix for the "app installation location" problem.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
First @Jokout... Ahh I'm not interested in a "flame war" with you or anyone about this device. Are you one of those people who say "If you don't like the US GET OUT!"?
I believe this site and this thread is to discuss an upgrade to the device. I didn't come here to "bash" the device. I came here to share information and HOPEFULLY make this device MUCH better.
@rokky
You are probably right about calling the S7 "Terrible" and "Severely Handicapped" as going a little to far. HOWEVER, I am an avid nerd and have used EVERY mobile operating system since Win Mobile 2002. I have owned several windows phones, several ipods (including the newest ipod touch) and have installed Android on a netbook for trial use.
Here is the BOTTOM LINE - What do people LOVE their iPods for? APPS. iPad, APPS, hell even blackberry and Windows mobile have fantastic apps. I LOVE my apps. I download torrents of apps. I could fill 4 gig full of apps easily AND actually use them!
The fact that I am limited to 175MB for apps is a HUGE RESTRICTION. Just for watching movies and a few ebook readers and I am full! I would definitely call that a "handicap" on a GREAT DEVICE. Basically making you choose about 20 apps on an app market place that has more than 100,000 APPS! Now that is a bottleneck! Windows had this figure out by 2002 and Apple never even had the problem. I really don't care about flash (there's an app for that).
I REALLY LOVE this device and I am not "bashing it" for what it "offers". It is an AWESOME device BUT, I was promised at Best Buy (by an employee and a sign near the device) that it would be upgraded to 2.2.
Fixing the ability to install apps on the internal 8 gigs or on the external MicroSD would probably make this the BEST and MOST powerful tablet on the market (especially for the $).
As far as JackJack, I did completely understand that he must be an insider and I believe him but being a programmer myself and working in the tech industry I have found that the "corporate" guys ALWAYS manage to f**k up an obvious decision.
The email I sent the company was harshly worded because as some of you in the "tech business" may know 1 strongly worded email will sometimes be seen as a representative of 20,000 customers (figures vary company to company).
So if they are thinking about NOT doing the upgrade just a few dozen emails from customers may change the minds of the "corporate guys". I'm trying to be proactive, not bash the device. (In fact I have a little "white lie". I haven't published my review on my blog yet or my review for a local newspaper.) I am waiting to see if they do announce an official upgrade.
AGAIN, I do LOVE this device, that doesn't mean that I can't "call it" on its flaws. You CAN like something and still complain about it. I paid $300 for mine and I want to make full use of it NOW. Or I'll return it and get the new one if/when it comes out with 2.2 or 2.3.
This is like owning a Ferrari but only having enough gas in the tank to get you 3 miles! So please forgive me for my frustration.
And by the way, the NookColor has an official release date for Android 2.2 and it has been rooted and hacked to install any application and it is $249.00. It is no S7 but it is a pretty decent alternative.
No offense intended, please take my frustration with a grain of salt, but I would be one happy guy if we got official news of a 2.2 release or a fix for the "app installation location" problem.

That is some enlightening background, ben. I take your points about getting some "grease relief" by being a squeaky wheel with strongly worded communications, and how corporate types all too often mess up what should be obviously "right" decisions to make/implement in terms of winning customer loyalty through ongoing support.

The "unlimited" apps storage criterion is something I must have missed in your previous posting, and I can see how that would be addressed by FroYo's ability to install to external storage. I usually try to limit myself on that to keep my device configuration simpler, and not have to worry about keeping track of so many - I prefer quality over quantity, although some alternative apps can give more options to be sure (I usually install Kindle, B&N, Borders, and Aldiko ereader apps). Then again, I have been used to the more wide-open app "build-up" possible with PC platforms such as Linux (oh, and Windoze, too), while learning that WinMobile apps often did/do not like running from an external storage flash card.

BTW, I have been attracted by the NookColor, too - its form factor is really sweet. However, it is missing some key features of the S7 such as GPS, bluetooth, and the cellular data radio, which is in keeping with B&N's focus on it being an eReader first and foremost. Anything done to the NC to make it a more generic Android tablet to get full market access, among other benefits, will be despite B&N (there is a fair amount of discussion about whether they will break known rooting techniques to maintain their control - their "option"), whereas the S7 is already that way by design.

As it is, I returned my S7 within the 14-day window once I decided that I and it were not quite a good match-up yet (FroYo being a minor consideration), but I am keeping watch on the "situation" to see if/when it does align with my wants and needs (see my other posts). Other tablets could yet get my interest, which is another option I want to keep open with all that is likely to happen in this fast-changing scene, but I do find I keep coming back to the S7 as a basis for comparison.

Well, good luck on your "mission" (and salting done ;) ), but do try to keep things in perspective, ok?

Let's hope this will be a happy new year in this regard (and many others of course ;) ) !

FWIW

Last edited: