Huawei S7 Accesories site

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
I'm taking a slightly more extreme approach. I purchased a 12V, 7.0Ah Lead Acid battery for $12 at a local electronics store. I connected it via a solar charge controller to a 5W solar panel. The load connection of the charge controller is connected to a 12V car cigarette lighter style output. I connected my $20 150W Inverter to that. At 7.0Ah, I can keep my S7 running for a long time! The obvious drawback is portability. i'm working on a carrying case for the battery/solar pack. This is obviously only for use when I'm out away from electricity. It takes a while for the 5W solar panel to charge the lead acid battery fully, but the battery lasts a while!

$solar1.JPG
$solar2.JPG

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
The energizer I got is 2000mA

Just to clarify the difference between energy capacity (mA-Hours) and maximum rated current output (mA), according to the manufacturer specs, the XP2000 (your device) has a stored energy capacity of 2000mA-Hours (hence the XP2000 model number) - but it is limited to a maximum rated current output of 500mA (Aside: if a device wants more current then the Energizer device would likely lower output voltage - called voltage foldback - to compensate for the current while keeping the overall power (volt-amps) constant).

So assuming you were supplying the XP2000 maximum rated output current of 500mA to a device, then your XP2000 would be able to run that device for 4 hours (4hr x 500mA = 2000 mA-Hrs.) assuming it was fully charged at the start. Obviously, powering devices that required less current would allow the XP2000 to last even longer. The XP4001 device that I have with two usb ports can supply a maximum of 1000mA combined from both ports (i.e., 500 + 500, 250 + 750, or 0 + 1000 and any combination in between) and is a 4000 mA-Hour device meaning similar to the XP2000 it can supply its rated maximum current for about 4 hours from a full charge.

russd2357

Jan 7, 2011
OK, nobody has an answer about dock availability. Does anybody know the pinout on the dock interface? I mean it can't be that difficult to make one of these. I like the S7, but the lack of a dock makes me want to slap the ppl at Huawei silly. Why bother showing the f'ing device on a dock if you're not going to manufacture it? Anyway, has anybody tried to see if another dock will work with this thing. Knowing the pinout on the connector would be huge. Thanks!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
This thread is a merge of all of the different discussions on Accessories (or lack thereof) for the S7/Telstra T-Touch.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
whats it called? cheers for the info :)
oh yeah play.com have a 16gb card for £14!
bargainn
My unit says Solar Charger on the back.
It has one USB port, a three position switch and a flashlight in the end. It will also charge from a USB port.
I have the box somewhere so I'll dig it out.

Last edited:

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Just ordered a 16 GB micro sd card from newegg. $24.99- free shipping. Was looking for 32 GB but just too expensive just yet. They have several 16 GB under $30.00.

Tblack

Nov 23, 2010
I picked up a power inverter for my car cigarette lighter at Home Depot last night for 15 bucks. Tried it out today on my way to work, it works just fine. You wouldn't find a car charger for the Huawei any cheaper then this even if already available, so my advice is grab a power inverter that will plug into your car lighter and just use the wall charger that comes with the s7 with it.

Who actually made the converter you're using?

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
@sopranosv- Class 2. 5 star review, says not much difference in speed. just checked and this one is now OOS.

DANE-ELEC 16GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model DA-2IN1-16G-R

Here's Tony M's review:

"For the price, I'm very pleased with this card. I have traditionally bought Class 6 cards but since I viewed this as an interim card until 32GB Class 6 cards are available, I thought I would save some money and deal with having a slower card.

Turns out it isn't all that much slower. Transferred everything from my 8GB cards (I had two) very quickly. I find that pictures take a fraction of second to save before I can take the next pic vs. my 8G Class 6 card, but it is barely noticeable. I certainly don't notice any difference on read operations (browsing the card in a file manager, listening to music, or viewing video files).

I highly recommend this card at this price. I really couldn't justify spending 50% to 100% more just for some marginal speed gains. Also, I bought this card because no one complained about data corruption and I'm pleased to report the same - no issues at all."

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
@sopranosv- Class 2. 5 star review, says not much difference in speed. just checked and this one is now OOS.

DANE-ELEC 16GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model DA-2IN1-16G-R

Here's Tony M's review:

"For the price, I'm very pleased with this card. I have traditionally bought Class 6 cards but since I viewed this as an interim card until 32GB Class 6 cards are available, I thought I would save some money and deal with having a slower card.

Turns out it isn't all that much slower. Transferred everything from my 8GB cards (I had two) very quickly. I find that pictures take a fraction of second to save before I can take the next pic vs. my 8G Class 6 card, but it is barely noticeable. I certainly don't notice any difference on read operations (browsing the card in a file manager, listening to music, or viewing video files).

I highly recommend this card at this price. I really couldn't justify spending 50% to 100% more just for some marginal speed gains. Also, I bought this card because no one complained about data corruption and I'm pleased to report the same - no issues at all."

Buzzman: You may want to confirm first hand that you don't have problems reading/playing video files from this card. YMMV based on bitrate, file format, resolution etc, but I'm really surprised that "Tony M" did not have problems viewing video files with a Class 2 card (but who knows what device he was using and what type of video files he was reading - mp3's and even writing photos to a class 2 card should not be a problem). There are even some people having problems with Class 2 Cards on Froyo devices for Apps2SD (not an issue, unfortunately, on our 2.1 S7's until custom ROM or someone gets a 2.1 port of Apps2SD working). What bit-rate/format/resolution are your video files? When you get the card verify that you are not seeing any choppiness or audio-video sync problems with your Class 2 card and your video files. If ok, that would be good news.

I picked up a Microcenter Brand 16GB Class 4 card back in November for $27 for my S7, they are now selling for $24.99 - I can't confirm where I verified it was a Class 4 Card because that info is not on the Microcenter web page now but I know that I needed to verify that before purchase and it is indeed doing the job with reading video files off my card onto the S7 (files are 480 x 320 standard profile MP4's encoded at between 500 and 800 MB/sec). Microcenter also has a Patriot Class 4 16GB microSD for $29.99. Good luck. The SKU for the Microcenter 16GB card is 988618 if interested since the Newegg deal appears dead for now. Really caution that if you want to deal with video viewing, a Class 2 card is likely to be marginal at best, Class 4 will give you some needed performance breathing room and as you can see without a significant (if any) cost premium. YMMV and good luck.

Last edited:

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
vferrari -Thanks for that crash course. When I get it I'll have to transfer a movie and see how it plays. Now here's a basic question- do I have to change the format?? What I have is an iso image of a movie. I use image burn tomake copies and the file plays great on my netbook. The dvd's play on a regular dvd player. Do I need to change over the file to something more compatible to the s7? I have double twist and real player on it.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
vferrari -Thanks for that crash course. When I get it I'll have to transfer a movie and see how it plays. Now here's a basic question- do I have to change the format?? What I have is an iso image of a movie. I use image burn tomake copies and the file plays great on my netbook. The dvd's play on a regular dvd player. Do I need to change over the file to something more compatible to the s7? I have double twist and real player on it.

buzzman - the short answer is yes you will have to change formats from the mpeg2 iso to preferably an mp4 (AVC profile or h.264) to play on the S7's rudimentary native media player. Others have been able to use formats other than mp4 (avi containers with xvids or divx files) but I am just starting to play around with different formats, containers, bitrates, audio streams and alternate android media players such as Vplayer, rockplayer, arc mediaplayer, and Vital Player. So far I like Vplayer the best for my mp4 AVC files. I use arcmedia and movavi apps on my PC to transcode mpeg2 and avchd recordings to portable media player files. More to follow.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks vferrari- I will have to find a converter. I think I have a couple on my pc. I'll find out what converts to mp4? Or mpeg 4? I'll have to do homework.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App