Huawei S7 Charging through USB VIDEO PROOF

pizzabox23

Dec 10, 2010
This is charging through a USB TO COXIAL CABLE AND NOT DIRECT USB INTO THE DEVICE
Video:
Charging a Huawei S7 Through a USB cable
*Note*
Charging times are about half the speed of plugging it into a power cord
I got this cord from Kenable

-As I am not an expert at electronics I cannot make any guarantee to the safety of this charging method. I do not promote this method of charging as it can be unstable and may have the possibility to harm your device. This is for education purposes only. Any and all damage done to any of your property by using a similar setup for charging as shown in my video is your sole responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCLocal

Nov 25, 2010
The post title had me excited for a second.... But this is not charging through USB in the traditional sense of charging via the USB port on the S7; this is charging via a USB source and nothing really special.

The unfortunate limitation of the S7 is that you can't use the USB port on the S7 itself by connecting a USB cable to a powered USB source on a computer or laptop like you would a phone or many other devices; something that is very convenient.

pizzabox23

Dec 10, 2010
yeah as I said, you can't actually charge through the usb port.
I like to think of this as an alternative for people without consistent power supply and have a usb port

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
So you are charging with a cable into the power socket on the the S7.
Nothing new there then.
The charge time is dependant on the current available so using a nominal 500mAh supply like a USB port on a PC would quite naturally increase the time taken to charge and if anything was enabled at the same time that would draw more than 500mAh you wouldn't get any positive charge at all.

pizzabox23

Dec 10, 2010
@pa49 whos found a usb to coxial cable that fits the s7 though?
+ I have the s7 plugged into my computer with an ipod charging, a turtlebeach headset and a wireless keyboard/mouse in it and i'm able to fully charge in 2-3 hours

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
+ I have the s7 plugged into my computer with an ipod charging, a turtlebeach headset and a wireless keyboard/mouse in it and i'm able to fully charge in 2-3 hours

Actually, that's exactly what the Duracell 3-IN-1 Motorola charger is. It is a USB coaxial cable with a 3.2mm tip that plugs into the USB port of the included cigarette lighter plug which in turn also plugs into the AC adapter that accepts the cigarette lighter plug. This has been posted many times. Also, all the XPAL external battery sources come supplied with cables with usb plugs and interchangeable adaptor plugs at the other end. An S7 compatible 3.2mm tip is available. I am using both of these and plug the 3-in-1 USB coaxial cable and 3.2mm tip into other USB power receptacles on computers and on external power supplies. Comes in very handy - but has indeed been frequently reported in several threads. Thanks for the bringing it to the attention of others who may not have read those older posts though.

Wow, you had me fooled for a second though. Thought someone had made a major breakthrough with the holy grail of charging through S7's USB port.

Last edited:

pa49

Nov 29, 2010

As vferrari said.
And trust me the basics of charging anything with an underpowered source are worth an advance warning about suitability regarding head build up and efficiency to do the job correctly.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
A power supply has to be designed to deliver a set voltage in a safe way - you have to assume that the numpty user will full short the thing so you have to make sure you limit the current that can flow to a safe limit this is done by including some resistance within the power supply. In the case of USB, the spec calls for a 5volt rail that can deliver 5v when flowing 1000mA. As far as I know there is nothing in the USB spec to say the USB port cannot be designed to support a higher current flow, the designer just has to make sure he can get rid of the extra heat that will be generated.

Similarly the S7 has to be designed so that if numpty shorts the power socket, he will not short circuit the battery - which could cause it to explode. so the designer will put a resistor in the S7 to limit the current.

The S7 battery is designed to charge at up to 2 amps, but it won't draw 2 amps when it is fully charged as the current flow will depend on the voltage difference between the battery and the charger and the limiting resistors.

This result of this design work is that when you connect a charger that is only rated at 500mA, the voltage drop across the resistors in the charger and S7 will limit the current flow to 500mA when the S7 battery is completely flat and probably far less when it is 3/4 charged.

So you cannot actually damage anything by using a ( properly designed ) low rated charger but you may find that it will take forever to reach full charge.

Also if you are doing something that is power hungry for example using GPS in an area of poor GSM reception, you may find that the charger cannot keep up, and your battery will continue to discharge.

Pete

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I have known batteries that have been drained to shutdown not restart from a low current source. That's when you need the extra capacity most as well as when all services are turned on and in use.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Apr 26, 2011
So what does one think about modifying the internal s7 circuits to bond the +5.5 from the usb to the charging circuit? Is it a simple matter of making a couple of bonding jumpers since the two ports are so close? Seems like what is being proposed is the same thing effectively.... just external.