Huawei S7 discussion archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
Huawei Norway just sent me a message on Facebook that the S7 will receive a Froyo upgrade during 1st quarter of 2011.
At least that shows they have a roadmap, which I doubt some of the other cheap chinese tablets have...

Huawei Norge | Facebook

arqueiro

Nov 1, 2010
nice to know, keep posting your impressions, maybe i will buy one of theses on the next week (when i will be travel in New York) i just not decide yet about the samsung galaxy tab and the hawaey S7.

what you guys think ?

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
The biggest letdown for me at the moment is the memory issue.
This is the list of currently downloaded and installed apps:
3G Watchdog
ADW Launcher
AppBrain App Market
Astro File Mgr
Barcode Scanner
BBC News
Birthday Manager
Break Videos
Call Log Calendar
CNET News
Contact Group Manager
eBay
Engadget
Facebook
Fox News
Gentle Alarm
Google Sky Map
Home Switcher
iMarka (Norwegian app suggesting hiking paths)
it.tautility (not sure what it is)
K-9 Mail
Kindle
Maps (update)
Market (update)
MarketAccess
MatPrat (Norwegian recipe app, uses SD (internal!) for storage)
Norgeskart (Norwegian map app, uses SD (internal!) for storage)
PEOPLE
RockPlayer
Smart Keyboard Pro
SPB TV
Squeeze Commander
Star Contact
Street View (update)
SystemPanel
Television News
Terminal Emulator
TIME Mobile
Torque
Touch Calendar
TV Guide
Twidroyd (update)
Vegkamera (norwegian app for speed cams)
WeatherBug Elite
Wifi Analyzer
Wifi Connecter Library (used by Wifi Analyzer)
World Newspapers
XDA

If I try to install one "medium sized" app now, I will get a "running out of space" warning...
My hope is to have this fixed by means of A2SD and custom ROM, if not I have to wait for Froyo which will be available for the S7 in Q1 2011 according to Huawei Norway.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
any luck with this ?
The "Low on space" issue? No.
I have root, but I think without a custom ROM there's no way I can move apps to SD (and run them from SD, of course). The only thing I've done is installing and running a "move caches to SD" but I didn't notice a big difference.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
strange, your device have GPS, but on the best buy description they dont say anything about it...

maybe is just a similar version....

There definitely are different versions of the S7 in different markets - several youtube videos show an S7 with a rear facing camera, which mine does not have (only a single front facing next to the screen).
The full name of mine is S7-101, you might want to read the small text on the box to see whether there are other differences...

fachex

Nov 10, 2010
There definitely are different versions of the S7 in different markets - several youtube videos show an S7 with a rear facing camera, which mine does not have (only a single front facing next to the screen).
The full name of mine is S7-101, you might want to read the small text on the box to see whether there are other differences...

I just got mine from BestBuy and it has two cameras, rear and front,but the front camera seems not enabled or at least the system does not recognized it. For me that was the main reason I've got it and now fring does not see it neither any camera application.
Overall I think it is a great tablet.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
Wow, that's a let-down.
I don't have Fring installed at the moment, but I thought i remembered that in the Settings I was able to choose which camera to use even though my S7 only has a front (face) facing camera. But I might be wrong.
Unfortunately, with Angry Birds installed there's no room for almost any other apps... :-( Froyo is a must on this!

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
I know, driving me nuts running out of memory - Gtalk refuses to start, and of course I can't install any other updates or apps.

cricker

Nov 10, 2010
Open the menu while running the camera app, you have an option to switch to front. However, no idea on Fring; I had the same problem and couldn't get it to work.

I just got mine from BestBuy and it has two cameras, rear and front,but the front camera seems not enabled or at least the system does not recognized it. For me that was the main reason I've got it and now fring does not see it neither any camera application.
Overall I think it is a great tablet.

fachex

Nov 10, 2010
Hey grennes, were you able to install fring and play with video conference? In my device it will use the rear camera instead of the front facing ...

fachex

Nov 10, 2010
Thanks cricker, I've got it working in the main camera app. But I downloaded other apps that are supposed to recognize both camera and it only sees the rear one..it's like it's not integrated to the system somehow, it could be 2.1, maybe 2.2 fixes it. I tried Qik for evo but it wont not let me install it. I love the device, it became my phone replacement, but I hope they fix that.

royg17

Nov 11, 2010
Hi there new to this website. I recently just bought my s7 from best buy today. great tablet. both of my cameras work fine. you might need to reset the whole tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.