Huawei S7 discussion archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
OK, so I have a Huawei S7 Tablet running Android 2.1 under a Huawei UI.
UniversalAndroot gave me instant root.
But of course I don't have a custom Recovery or a custom ROM.
After a small number of apps have been installed, the dreaded "Low on space" message appears. What can I do to get more "install space" (System?) ?
Can I do /anything/ besides uninstalling apps while waiting for 2.2?
I have a G1 with CM 6.1 RC1, with Firerat's A2SD and all that, and I almost have no memory issues (speed issues - yes) with it, but without a custom ROM for my S7 am I helpless..?

Christopher

PS. I live in Norway, the S7 has been on sale here for nearly 3 months, the specs are full 3G (voice, sms, mms, data), 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth, GPS, gyro, 7' resistive screen, a single frontfacing camera for video calls - pls don't hijack this thread, if you need more info on the tablet create another thread and I will chip in! :)

manfly9884

Jun 18, 2010
Just ordered the one from best buy. Thanks for letting us know that Androot works. Now to figure out how to iether increase storage space or a2sd.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
By the way. How is video playback on your device?
I'm using RockPlayer and watched a divx episode of Californication the other night, it worked great.

EDIT: not 100% sure it's a divx file, but it is a .avi and neither are natively supported by the H7, as opposed to the Samsung Galaxy Tab which plays almost anything out of the box

Last edited:

manfly9884

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. The only thing that will fix the small storage space is a custum ROM and that for now is in the near future.

As for playing movies through rock player. Try using a file manger, look for your movie stored in the sd card then it will give you an aption as to which player you want to use to watch the movie. I did this with my archos and it worked great.

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
I know Dark Tremor apps2ext will allows you to store your apps onto your SD card but using ext3. I use it on my Nexus and have 512 mb avail via this way, but it is on a MIUI custom rom. I don't know if it's something that can be done w/ a custom ROM.

arqueiro

Nov 1, 2010
strange, your device have GPS, but on the best buy description they dont say anything about it...

maybe is just a similar version....

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
strange, your device have GPS, but on the best buy description they dont say anything about it...

Yes it does - I drove home from work the other day with Google Maps active, and the hairpin X followed me all the way home (not the big "balloon" with an estimated position based on cell towers or wifi networks).

wintermute

Sep 4, 2010
The Snapdragon chipset supposedly has GPS integrated.

Edit: grenness, your link says the price is 3,495 NOK? Isn't that almost 600 USD? :eek:

Last edited:

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
The Snapdragon chipset supposedly has GPS integrated.

Edit: grenness, your link says the price is 3,495 NOK? Isn't that almost 600 USD? :eek:

Yes, it is...
But the Samsung Galaxy Tab is twice that:
Komplett.no - Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab Chic White

So I decided that capacitive screen, dual cameras, a higher screen resolution wasn't worth twice the price, at least not for my first tablet which I bought as a test to find out whether tablets was someting useful for me.
Now that I know that it is, I might go for a much better spec'd device next time...

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
As for playing movies through rock player. Try using a file manger, look for your movie stored in the sd card then it will give you an aption as to which player you want to use to watch the movie. I did this with my archos and it worked great.
Thanks, I had already tried that but couldn't figure out why none of my video files showed up.
Now I understand why:
The Huawei S7 has 8GB of internal storage called "SDCARD". When I popped in my 16GB Micro SD Card, I could scan the contents from the standard file manager, but neither the video player or RockPlayer was able to access it (it doesn't show up). After some Terminal Emulator investigation, I found out that the external (Micro) SD Card is called "SDCARD2". I then was able to change the RockPlayer configuration to look for files not in the standard directory "SDCARD" but "SDCARD2" (which doesn't show up when browsing, so it has to be entered manually in the prefs). Now everything is good, just watched 5 minutes of a Dexter episode :)

~Christopher

Status
Not open for further replies.